Recovery from extractions and pain the day of

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Recovery from extractions and pain the day of

#1 Post by cowlypso »

Okay, my life is crazy right now and some scheduling issues are making things interesting.

I'm booked to get 4 premolars out next week at 2:00. I'm also scheduled to run a review session that same day at 8:00, so 6 hours later. The review session is for a final exam, and is pretty much going to be me answering a ton of questions for an hour.

Is this totally crazy? After I got my wisdom teeth out, I didn't have any trouble talking, although I was in a lot of pain. I've read on here that the premolars aren't nearly as bad. But I've also had people tell me that I'm totally nuts and that I'll be in pain and won't be able to talk. Image

So which is it? It's too late to cancel the review session, but I can always find somebody to come with me and help out if I need a break. I need to know if I'll be okay to do this, or if I should try to find somebody who can help out.

Anybody who got premolars out, I'd like to hear your experiences regarding the rest of the day following the extractions. Also, I suppose I'm interested in pain and talking over the next few days, too, since I'm scheduled to work in the lab and answer student questions there...

Thanks!!! Image
Somebody save me from the cold....

[KR]Cube

#2 Post by [KR]Cube »

All I can say is, if you can deal with having wisdom teeth removed, then I think you'll be just fine with pre-molars! :D
I had 2 pre-molars, and 2 regular molars removed in one go. Sure, it felt a bit achey, but nothing I couldn't handle. You may want to get some gauze or something though, because mine bled quite a bit, but as with most things, I can imagine that differs from person to person. Better to be safe than sorry, eh? :)
Also, I wouldn't advise taking any painkillers beforehand, because they thin out the blood, and well... It aint nice to have a mouth full of blood, is it? Wait until the bleeding has stopped, and if it starts to ache, either take some painkillers, or get yourself a hot water bottle and rest your face against it.
There's nothing better than that after having a tooth removed.
I'd give it a pain rating of atleast 4/10.
[KR]

RainyDay2

#3 Post by RainyDay2 »

cowlypso, Everybody's different. I've heard so many people say that theyhad no problems whatsoever. I can tell you that I had 2 premolars removed and although I was not in alot of pain I did have quite a bit of bleeding that day. I had mine pulled around 1pm and was still bleeding into the next day. I know I wouldn't have been able to do your review session that same day since I had the gause in. It was impossible for me to talk. Again everybody's different, you may be alright. I would definetly have a backup person to either help you if you feel up to it to even try or to take over if you absolutely can't. Good Luck!

cowlypso

#4 Post by cowlypso »

I didn't really think about bleeding. When I had my wisdom teeth out that stopped within an hour or two. But I had stitches with those.

Hopefully it will work out. But I guess I'd better start calling around...

Brunoise

#5 Post by Brunoise »

When I had my 4 wisdoms out they bled and I drooled alot from the novocaine but I didn't have pain or swelling. I went off to college a week after their removal a day after the stitches were out. No problems at all.

Are you saying you don't get stitches for the permolars? I am having two taken out up top in the new year. That would be good to know. Can you ask that too cowlypso? :lol:

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Brunoise wrote: Are you saying you don't get stitches for the permolars? I am having two taken out up top in the new year. That would be good to know. Can you ask that too cowlypso? :lol:
I had all my first molars extracted and had no stitches, I also had bleeding up to 1 1/2 hours and then it stopped, as for pain everyone is different and I guess my case was really different cause I had No bruising, No swelling however I had severe pain that went to a rating of 8/10 so its different for all.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

nita

#7 Post by nita »

:-1
I had 4 premolars out at around 11am. I took the day off work, but went to class that night at around 6.

I wasn't really in any pain, just a little bit of soreness in my jaw (from holding my mouth open for so long I think), but I really couldn't talk too much. I was able to stop the bleeding using teabags before I left for class, but I remember sitting there with a tissue in front of my face catching the drool. I also remember that my cheeks were still a little swollen from the numbing medication, so I still couldn't close my mouth entirely - which made the drooling even grosser.

Like others have said, it varies from person to person. If you made it through your wisdom teeth ok, you may have no problems at all. I know that if I had to answer questions for an hour after my premolar extractions, I wouldn't have been able to do it. Not because of the pain, more because of the gross drool that I couldn't seem to control.

The next day I was back at work talking to people, but still drooling a little bit here and there.

Sorry to gross you out! :|

Also, I didn't have any stitches with premolar extractions for those who were wondering.
Top brackets and spacers on 2/17/06
Molar bands on 3/6/06
Extractions and full braces 3/27/06
Update: 22-24 months total time in braces!

joney

#8 Post by joney »

I had one bottom and one top premolars extracted on Nov 2nd. The bleeding stopped pretty quickly for me (about an hour or so) but I did take a painkiller once the numbness had worn off. I also found speaking strange as my tongue wasn't touching my teeth in the normal way and I would imagine that with 4 extractions you would notice this more.

I had two wisdoms out previously and never got stitches, maybe they do things differently in the UK. I never got stiches for the premolars either they just asked me to bit down for half and hour, checked the bleeding and sent me on my way with instructions to bite down again if the bleeding started again. Teabags contain tanin which helps stem bleeding and I found they helped when one of the sites started bleeding again.

Your may be made of sterner stuff than me but I think that six hours after 4 extractions you would be wise to get some help if you can.

In the days following the extractions I am sure that you will be fine with talking, I am a chatterbox and found that it didn't stop me.

Just be careful not to smoke or use a straw as dislodging the clots could lead to a dry socket.

Best of luck, I hope it goes well for you. At least the review session will take your mind off the teeth for a while.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

[KR]Cube

#9 Post by [KR]Cube »

As everyone else has said, I got no stitches with my molars when they were removed, but they've healed up just fine.
The only bad thing that happened to me, was that the dentist had left a tiny fragment of bone inside of the gum, so I ended up with a rather angry looking gum/extraction site. In the end, the gum pushed the little piece of tooth up and out, and I get it out with some tweezers then gave it a good but very gentle clean with some warm salted water by swilling it around my mouth :D But that's just a tip incase that happens to you, or anyone else on these forums.
Also, you may want to ask before you get the teeth removed if you can take any gauze with you, they only gave me a tiny square and I had to go and buy some more from the pharmacy with a mouthful of blood! :(
[KR]

sportsgrl97

#10 Post by sportsgrl97 »

all i can say is... u gotta love final exams.... NOT! :evil:

PIMPmyTEETH

#11 Post by PIMPmyTEETH »

i just had my 4 wisdom teeth (2 uppers errupted, 2 lowers impacted) extacted today. honesty, so far, it's been a very pleasant experience. i have experience no swelling, and very little pain. it really only hurts slightly if i yawn or put pressure on my cheeks, and it only hurts in the one area where the most complicated extraction was. that spot also bled the most. i took a few hours for the bleeding to stop completely. also, my chin and lower lip were numb for a few hours. but, they feeling came back slowly throughout the day. and now, i have full sensation. i feel like i can eat anything, but i'm going to stick to soft foods to allow everything to heal up properly. i haven't touched the demerol they gave me. i'm hoping that i won't have to either. im just going to keep popping the antibiotics and ibuprofen they gave me for the next few days and hope for the best! can't wait to start eating again! but, the banana, strawberry, yogurt, protein powder, and milk shakes i've been having aren't half bad :D