Why can't I eat popcorn??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatK

Why can't I eat popcorn??

#1 Post by KatK »

Hello All,

I just got a pendulum device installed and braces on my two back teeth a few weeks ago. I feel fine now and would love to know why I can't eat popcorn :) It's my absolute favorite snack food and I miss it!! So what's the big deal? :)

ame_malia

#2 Post by ame_malia »

I wondered the same thing when I first got braces, and forgot to ask my ortho, but one night at the movie theater, I just couldn't resist snatching some popcorn from my boyfriend. I chewed it very carefully at first, but I haven't had any problems so far, and I know other brace-wearers who eat popcorn as well, so I'm not sure what the big deal is!

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

I'm guessing...

1. Biting down on a hard, unpopped kernel could really do a number on those brackets.

2. All of those little thin hard pieces of seed coating that get down between your gum and your tooth that you spend the next hour picking at them to get them out... Now made 10x worse with dental accessories.

Image Image

newmetal

#4 Post by newmetal »

When i took my nephew to see the santa clause on the cinema the other day i ate popcorn with not trouble....was i not suppose to?

Newmetal

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

My method to eat pop corn is to leave it in my mouth until it softens up then sort of mash it against the roof of my mouth and swallow. Its slow but it does give me the taste and slows down my eating! If I find any unpopped seeds I spit them out into a napkin. Guess you can tell this is a method best for dark theatres?

As to why not.... pop corn is a devil to get out if it goeas anywhere wrong like between a bracket and your gums. You really need a waterpik to get it out.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

iBorg

#6 Post by iBorg »

I can't say its a weekly thing. I've been braced for three monhs and have had popcorn twice. About a handful each time. I agree its on that list best left until later. Mercy that's a long list!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

PrincessMelody

#7 Post by PrincessMelody »

I just don't eat because it takes FOREVER to get those little bits out of there. A major pain!
Check out my braces story by clicking the WWW
28 months and 22 days in braces
Now in an upper and lower Hawley retainer.

Higgy

#8 Post by Higgy »

I actually asked about this one...other than the pure inconvenience of having to clean really well afterwards....our braces change the connection gaps of our teeth to our gums...which allows the little kernel shells of the popcorn to get lodged in the gums easier...and becuase it's harder to get them out, can lead to infections. With that said, have I given up popcorn...no, I'm just a lot more careful now.

Tamms

#9 Post by Tamms »

I love popcorn too! I admit I had some one night. No probs with it then. My bigger problem is with gum. I love gum! And can't have any. :cry:
My ortho didn't give me a list of things to not eat. He said don't eat popcorn or chew anything sticky.
Tammy :)

Way Too Old For This

#10 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I eat popcorn practically every night. Only time I don't is right after adjustments when my teeth are too sore.

No problem cleaning out the kernels....I just waterpik them out.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

tinseltownusa

#11 Post by tinseltownusa »

I'm a law student and in the middle of exams so yesterday I just couldn't resist and enjoyed a full bag of popcorn (hid the evidence so my BF didn't scold me). I know why it's not good to eat with braces...the very first mouthful and I got a kernel stuck in a back backet, which was very difficult to remove. Of course that didn't stop me from eating the rest but I'll be more careful next time....(and there WILL be a next time!) :wink:

hippyhippo

#12 Post by hippyhippo »

I eat popcorn all the time without problems (2x a week). Though I should say that I don't have any appliances (just braces) and the popcorn I typically eat is from the pub where there are absolutely no kernals. I do occassionally eat microwave popcorn, but then I'm extra careful to ensure I don't brake a bracket.

Kittysopretty

#13 Post by Kittysopretty »

I eat popcorn!! Doesn't everyone?? :wink:

KatK

#14 Post by KatK »

thanks for your responses everyone!! I'll see how long i can hold out... it's been about 3 weeks.... i think not eating so much popcorn is causing me to lose weight! haha!

lionfish

#15 Post by lionfish »

Kittysopretty wrote:I eat popcorn!! Doesn't everyone?? :wink:
Er, no. This may sound like heresy, but I don't like the stuff. :oops: