Ortho cut off part of expander. How will this work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gennel

Ortho cut off part of expander. How will this work?

#1 Post by Gennel »

So I got my lower expander 6 weeks ago ( bihelix) to upright my 2nd molars in the back. There was no movement in 6 weeks. It's not in my head because my ortho checked the progress yesterday. Soooo , he brought out "the pliers" and started pulling off the molar bands so he can remove the expander. He said he knew what was the problem that my molars were not moving.... In the bihelix there are two arms. One pushes against the molarbands to upright them and the second arms hold my premolars apart. Removing the molarbands that were cemented was excruciating and I even grabbed his wrist and yanked his hand . It was not something I wanted to do ,it was just instinct! lol I was sorry and he was sorry too. Well he took it out and used a "powertool" to cut off the second arm that was holding my premolars.He stretched the expander and then recemented the molarbands (arghhhh! more pain)

Has anyone gone through this? Maybe someone here that works at an ortho's office might be able to tell me how this will work better to upright my molars? He asked if I was feeling pressure , I was just getting over the pain of him pulling off the bands so I said I was not sure what I felt at the moment. I am crossing my fingers that by my next appt in 6 weeks there will be some movement because if there is no movement that will mean that the molarbands will have to be pulled off again and the expander stretched out again. I asked if I would always need to take the expander out at every adjustment and he said no,however if there was no movement then it would be taken off again :(

Below is a picture of the type of bihelix I have. Notice the two "arms" that are straight out and hold the premolars? That is what the ortho cut off

Gennel

dymond25

#2 Post by dymond25 »

Gennel that sounds painful. I am getting an expander for my upper arch and I hope I will not have to experience this. I was telling my hubby that it seems like every visit to the denist is painful. Good luck with the movement.

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

I just hope there is some kind of movement. Even if it's slow. I will give up on uprighting those two molars if I see that they just won't budge after 6 months. I don't know if there is even surgery for this but I won't agree to something like that...

Gennel