Bleeding after extractions

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Bleeding after extractions

#1 Post by cowlypso »

Okay... got them out around 2:30. It's almost 5 hours later, and I'm still bleeding. Yuck. It's hard to arrange the gauze, because on the one side the 2 holes are directly opposite each other, but on the other side they are offset.

Any ideas on how long they should be bleeding? The pamphlet says that the bleeding should stop in an hour or two. My wisdom teeth stopped bleeding in half an hour or so.

I had a little excessive bleeding right after the event (check out my www link for the gory details...).

Now it's not bleeding tons, but they are all oozing, and I'm getting blood smeared all across my teeth. Ick. So I've been trying to keep the gauze in, but I'm more comfortable without it. Right now I'll need to keep it in because I'm going out in public. Great choice, huh? Either have blood smeared around your mouth like a vampire with bad dental hygiene, or keep the gauze in and not be able to talk. :roll:

science teacher

Bleeding

#2 Post by science teacher »

Maybe try wrapping a small bit of ice in a large chunk of gauze? Maybe that would help?

Kim
SARPE 11/23/06
Expansion over 12/18/06 8.5mm
Brace day tops 1/15/07
Brace day bottoms 3/19/07
all expansion devices removed 9/19/07

*boom!*

#3 Post by *boom!* »

Like meryaten said, my dentist recommended using tea bags if the bleeding didn't stop within a couple of hours. Can't hurt to try.
[/url]

cowlypso

#4 Post by cowlypso »

Thanks guys! I think it's slowed down some more, but may still be oozing. It's hard to tell. Right now, I'm eating dinner, so I'll check it out after I'm done, and try the teabags if they're still going.

I ran my review session tonight. I definitely needed my backup. I probably could have pulled it off without her, but it was great to not have to talk as much. So my mom and I picked up my friend and her son and went to school to do the review. My mom babysat in another classroom while my friend and I ran the review. That gave me the chance to give the specifics, but I didn't have to project my voice as much, and some of the questions I could just let her totally cover, or I could sort of mumble an outline of the answer and she could translate and fill it in.

By the end of the review session, my novocaine was totally worn off, as was the tylenol. So we dropped my friend off and headed to the pharmacy to get my vicodin prescription filled. It will be nice to have it at least tonight, perhaps tomorrow night too. I don't think I can take it during the day, since I've got stuff to do. But it's definitely knocked down the pain a lot!

Okay, back to my soup. It's lentil, so it doesn't require much chewing, but I've already gotten a few lentils lodged in my gaping holes. I think the pudding for dessert won't be as challenging.

tardissauce

#5 Post by tardissauce »

the tea bags worked like a charm for me...
good ole Earl Grey

Just make sure it is Black tea not herbal tea (I was cautioned against using herbal tea)

rsprouse

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Thanks guys! I think it's slowed down some more, but may still be oozing. It's hard to tell. Right now, I'm eating dinner, so I'll check it out after I'm done, and try the teabags if they're still going.

I ran my review session tonight. I definitely needed my backup. I probably could have pulled it off without her, but it was great to not have to talk as much. So my mom and I picked up my friend and her son and went to school to do the review. My mom babysat in another classroom while my friend and I ran the review. That gave me the chance to give the specifics, but I didn't have to project my voice as much, and some of the questions I could just let her totally cover, or I could sort of mumble an outline of the answer and she could translate and fill it in.

By the end of the review session, my novocaine was totally worn off, as was the tylenol. So we dropped my friend off and headed to the pharmacy to get my vicodin prescription filled. It will be nice to have it at least tonight, perhaps tomorrow night too. I don't think I can take it during the day, since I've got stuff to do. But it's definitely knocked down the pain a lot!

Okay, back to my soup. It's lentil, so it doesn't require much chewing, but I've already gotten a few lentils lodged in my gaping holes. I think the pudding for dessert won't be as challenging.
Bleeding usually subsides in a couple hours tops, but it can ooze and give the impression of bleeding for 24+ hours. If it is bleeding in the AM you are going to want to follow up with your provider. Also, careful with anything really hot or cold, not the best after an extraction. And if you don't have any allergies then Ibuprofren is a much better choice for dental pain when you finish up "the good stuff" (if needed).

Good Luck,
Rory