Guess What. . . I got records today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thesallymonster

Guess What. . . I got records today!

#1 Post by thesallymonster »

Well I can't believe I have finally chosen an ortho and began the plunge. I went for my third consultation today and spontaneously decided that that ortho was the one! Yeah, I know, that was probably a bit rash. The ortho and his staff were so nice and friendly and wonderful (and they kept giving my copies of every little paperwork, lol). Plus, they're really affordable, something a poor student without parents' support like me needs.

The ortho himself was a great listener and very much able to work with me. He said that surgery was probably the best and easiest option to correct my overbite. I explained to him by anxieties over surgery, mainly the costs (I can't really afford surgery along with the braces, even with insurance), but also the downtime and risks. He said that he has sucessfully treated younger adults like me with Herbst appliances (the ortho at my first consult also gave me this option), and that if a Herbst Appliance didn't fully correct my overjet it would at least mostly correct it, giving me a very good compromise solution to my bite (plus in that case I could elect to do surgery or extractions). He outlined my treatment plan in great detail: I'm sentenced to 31 months (2 1/2 years), more or less.

I had x-rays as part of the consultation, and then for records the assistant took pictures of my teeth and profile and then I had to do impressions. Bleh- those tasted like slightly vanilla-flavored Gak! The impressions were not as bad as I thought they would be, though, I was sure I would gag after reading stories on here (I gag easily) but I didn't.

OK, I'm rambling, but just I'm so excited to be finally getting started! I'm visiting my family for the holidays (leaving on Friday) so I won't be able to get the braces until 2007. Can't wait to get this over with though! :D

Tamms

#2 Post by Tamms »

Congrats! You are on your way now! Yeah, those impressions are yuck-o. I thought I'd gag too but didn't.

I'm also sentenced for 2-1/2 years so we will do this together! Good luck!

Tammy :)

*boom!*

#3 Post by *boom!* »

You sound so excited! Congrats on the beginning of your journey.
[/url]

turrrtlelove22

#4 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

Congrats, sallythemonster!!! Good luck with everything!!! :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

MarvinBrace

#5 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi thesallymonster,

I wish you all the best with the beginning of your brace journey next year.

Hope when you get them you will keep us posted with news and pics. :wink:

Bye...Marvin

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Way to go!!!!

You won't be sorry you started your treatment! Keep us updated on your progress and of course, let us know when the big day happens!

I love your screen name! We have a beagle named Sally and we often call her "The Sally Monster"
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm