Day One Question~

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sbebs

Day One Question~

#1 Post by Sbebs »

Hello all! I am getting braces for the first time this Thursday at the age of 25. I have no idea of what to expect, but i'm a mixture of excitement and nerves. I am getting ceramic on top and bottom from a dentist that is just starting to do ortho. I'll be one of his first...yikes!

My biggest question at this point is if I should take the whole day off work since i'll be in pain? Or does the pain take awhile to start in?

:?: Any advice from your experience? :?:

Pirate Wench

#2 Post by Pirate Wench »

:D Congrats on getting started :D

I was advised by my ortho office to take an OTC painkiller about 1/2 hour before the appointment and to take it as described on the bottle if needed for the pain.

I didn't take any time off work when I got my braces. I actually ate a cheeseburger about 1 hour after getting the tops on. I found that the pain was more towards evening and the next day. I didn't have enough pain for painkillers after getting the top ones on, but I had to use it after getting my bottom braces on. The pain when I got the bottoms was alot worse.

If you use your wax, do salt water rinses, and use some painkillers I don't think you will have any problem.

Good luck.

Sbebs

#3 Post by Sbebs »

Thanks for the advice on the painkiller. I'll be sure to do that. Lucky for me I'll have the next day off work anyways for the holiday.

Guess I have 6 days to enjoy the caramel & chocolate dipped pretzel sticks I made~

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

My discomfort (not really pain) started on day 2, but heck, why not take the day off and treat yourself! I just have to ask (it is the Mom thing kicking in). Have you had consults with any other orthos? I would be more worried about being one of a dentist's first ortho cases. Most people here on the board who are not happy with their treatment, did not shop around. What kind of orthodontic training has your dentist had? I'm not saying he isn't good, there are many dentists that do great orthodontics.....just want you to be happy with your treatment. Ok, I'm done - :lol:

Sbebs

#5 Post by Sbebs »

Well my best friend is his hygenist so he's giving me a steal on the braces 2,000 tops!

Plus he has been training for months and working with the pros. He also took my molds to his last conference and got a lot of feedback on the best treatments. So that has set my mind at ease a lot.

If worst comes to worst I can always switch right?

Higgy

#6 Post by Higgy »

When it comes to your smile...its less about the money, and more about the quality of treatment....that being said, if you trust him, then go for it...I'm also 25 and began my treatment almost 3 months ago....good luck.

Higgy

#7 Post by Higgy »

When it comes to your smile...its less about the money, and more about the quality of treatment....that being said, if you trust him, then go for it...I'm also 25 and began my treatment almost 3 months ago....good luck.

SDFD TSchott

#8 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Adults are different from younger patients from what I was told
Usually about 2-3 hours in a younger patient you will start to feel the pain adults usually start to feel the pain in about 3-5 hours. So I'm not sure how true that is. However I did go stratight into work after I was braced and worked eight hours and then I had classes at college that same night so I pretty much was all around the first day I got braced. If you want to take the day off then go for it but if you want to work after getting braced then go in and work nothing is stopping you.

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Sbebs

#9 Post by Sbebs »

Thanks for everyones advice, I'm glad I stumbled onto this site. I think i'll just take a dose of painkillers and go back to work after its over. I have a corporate job so I won't have to worry about talking alot if its too sore. Plus, I don't have to have any teeth pulled so that's some pain I won't have to worry about. phew!

Kat

#10 Post by Kat »

Your first paragraph would scare the hell out of me!!!

Seek someone who is a ortho and has some time and experience under his belt!
All the best to you.

freya333

#11 Post by freya333 »

Hi Sbebs - welcome to the gang

I would say go for it with this ortho - after all they all had to start out somewhere and it's good that he received some peer opinions at his conference. Also everyone should remember that 1 in 2 orthos graduated in the bottom half of their year group!!

As for the pain - well for me it definitely kicked in a few hours down the line - and the day or two after - wax wax wax is the way forward!!

Good luck :)

Train tracks Feb 05-Dec 06

Sbebs

#12 Post by Sbebs »

Thanks Freya! Did you just get your braces off today? I noticed your ticker says 0 days. I'm looking forward to that.

My dentist told my friend, who is his hygenist, that he is very excited about doing my treatment and how amazing my smile will be when I'm through. That takes away some of my nerves and adds to my excitement!

jennielee81

#13 Post by jennielee81 »

good for you!!!

Can't wait to follow your successful treatment!

I didn't feel any pain or discomfort until day 2. The day I was braced I felt pressure and tightness (which was kind of cool).

Like Maryaten said,
if you want to and can afford the time, then do it. But (at least based on my experience) there's no need
Let us know how the big day goes!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

dymond25

#14 Post by dymond25 »

Hello,

We are getting braced on the same day (:). Maybe we can share our experience with each other. I am also 25 yrs. old. I am very excited. It has been really hard for me to be patience. lol I first saw my Ortho in Sept. and ended up having to have four wisdom teeth pulled. I will have metal on the top and bottom, along with an upper arch expander. I am hoping my pain does not kick in for a while, I have to celeberate my son's 4th bday on Dec. 22. Good luck with your treatment. Keep in touch.

Sbebs

#15 Post by Sbebs »

Just found out today that it will be a week later on getting braces due to holiday shipping time. Funny how i'm a little disappointed about having to wait another week.

dymond25 you'll have to let me know how Thursday goes for you - Good Luck!