Stalled progress?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Stalled progress?

#1 Post by genxsis »

For the past 3 or 4 months now during which time I've had 2 adjustments, I have seen NO movement of my teeth at all. I've had braces now for 11 months. I'm currently using elastics to correct my overbite, which changed alot using elastics for the first month (and only 16 hours per day), and then everything stopped changing! For the past 3 months (and using elastics 22 hours per day), nothing has changed. My overbite is exactly the same. The elastics have put a couple of my teeth in a position to cause lip biting, but won't move any further.

Is there a point where teeth just can't be moved any further. I mean, does everyone have a "maximum" point where their teeth can be moved, and then that's it? If so, I think I would rather just have them off now instead of going through the aggravation if my teeth aren't going to even move despite all the effort.

The main reason for the braces was to correct a severe overbite and several overlapping teeth. The overlapping is now eliminated, along with half of the overbite.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow, I don't know. Sometimes there are changes that we can't see but they're still happening. I don't know if this is the case with you or not.

Might I suggest pm-ing Dr. Rick? Here's a link that may help you to pm... profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5393

I think that may be your best bet. I've not seen anyone on here in the past 2 years ask about this or relate a story similar to yours. Not saying that no one is in this position, just that I've not noticed so I can't help other than directing you to Dr. Rick.

All the Best to you!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

genxsis

#3 Post by genxsis »

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. I will try to stay patient and look for changes to take place. Also, I did send my question to Dr. Rick to get his advice.

I did ask my ortho at the time of my last appointment, but he's always really busy when I'm there and doesn't have time to talk much. Must go from patient to patient. He basically just told me to keep wearing the elastics.
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

genxsis

#4 Post by genxsis »

Ok, I just got a reply from Dr. Rick. That sure was fast!

He said that there is a law of diminishing returns, meaning that as time goes on, the results may in fact slow down. He said I should discuss with my ortho if I should continue or not if I'm happy with how things are now.

Yikes! I'm not sure if I should stop now or not. As I told Dr. Rick, my teeth are far from perfect, but alot closer than when I got started with the braces. I'll probably give it a bit more time though.

tamsteve

movement

#5 Post by tamsteve »

my ortho said there would come a time when everything seems to stop progressing cause we can't see it. My bottom teeth have shifted so fast, i'm wondering what else i will soon see after that. My bottom teeth were the most crooked and now they have moved tremendsly!! So, i guess eventually my teeth will stop to where i won't see no progress too.....:)

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

I think this has got to be the most testing stage of the braces journey; wearing elastics and correcting bite irregularities. Goodness knows 7 months on and I'm still getting my bite sorted out. It has been extremely slow but I've noticed the feel of my bite has changed compared to the outward look of my teeth. Remember when in elastics you're shifting/moving an entire area compared to the individual teeth movements that you commonly saw during the first few months in braces when in a light flexible wire.!
I concur with Linda !! Patience is needed. Pass me some more of that patience, Linda. :wink: I'm ready to fling my heavy elastic at my ortho. :lol:
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007