Best Comebacks...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedgrill

Best Comebacks...

#1 Post by bracedgrill »

Insipired by a previous post...

What are some of the best comebacks you guys have had from someone who has tried to make fun of your braces?

Sometimes its just not enough to ignore, sometimes one funny line to make someone blush and feel stupid for making someone feel bad is worth it! lol and trust me, they won't do it again and will think twice about taking out their insecurites on someone else!

Never know when someone reading can use them!

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

I have not had anyone say anything negative about my braces, however one person said, ' oh, you have braces' with a very nasty tone. It almost sounded as if she were saying, 'ewww, you have a giant green booger hanging out your nose'. I then proceeded to tell her about my entire braces experience in long and drawn out detail. I figured she deserved it :twisted:

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

I've had nothing but supportive comments to date. Most people don't even notice the difference; admittedly, only my bottom braces show, but I've got enough latex strung across my teeth right now to attract an inquiry from both the unsuspecting and those in the know. And still most people don't notice! What's wrong with these eejits? Are they blind?

Had to laugh recently: a very nosy friend sitting directly across from me at the dinner table noted that my face seemed to be "different". "Have you lost weight?" she asked? "Nope, weight is the same as ever". I could see she wasn't satisfied, but couldn't quite figure it out. This friend can make inappropriate remarks in company so I wasn't about to enlighten her.

Seriously, if a silly comment were to come my way, I'd just ignore it.

SDFD TSchott

#4 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Never heard of anything bad yet about braces however I've had a few people say things like, I love your christmas braces, wow you look really cute with braces, you have an awesome smile and a few more!

DAD:

My dad is the one that has thought of a few wise cracks such as,

- I bet you set the THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR. off every day!
- Have you received any radio transmissions yet?
- Wheres the train at its running late!

There is a few things that has been said by my brother and my dad but I don't remember them all!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

iBorg

#5 Post by iBorg »

After three months (is that all?), I haven't had one nasty comment except for one student making fun of my lisp. Since these are college boys, I expected far worse. After talking to him and explaining my reasons for braces, mainly TMJ related issues, nothing else has been said.

What I have enjoyed are the people who see me regularly and can't quite figure it out. For example I had a friend in church look at me Sunday and ask if I was having a dental problem. I explained I had braces. She then commented that I must have just got them. I've sat in front of her three Sundays a month since September, and this past Sunday was the first time she noticed!

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Jillianleab

#6 Post by Jillianleab »

A friend of mine had braces a few years ago, and when she saw me for the first time when I had the triangle elastics config she said, "Rockin' the elastics... now THAT'S sexy!" :) It was all in good fun though, so no hard feelings! She actually had the same config when she had braces!

My sister-in-law (she's 14) said after I got them, "I hope I don't have to get braces!" Me: "Why" Her: "Because they look so ugly!" What a sweet little girl.... :?
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

Thumbellina

#7 Post by Thumbellina »

Urgh, I am having an issue at the moment with a girl I know who obviously had a bad experience with her braces. :roll: She said she had hers on for 4 years when she was a teenager so for that amount of time she must have had quite bad teeth.

When I told her I was getting braces she was really negative about it. When someone asked me how long I was going to have them for and I said 2 years she said "yeah, they tell you that now but 4 years later when you still have them..." err, hello, my teeth aren't that bad (see my other post with pics) so I do believe it will be 2 years. :huh:

The last straw was yesterday when she asked me if they hurt yet (I've had them for 6 days) and I said no, she said "they obviously aren't doing anything yet" :-(* ... well, I can't floss between some of them now when I could before and they are tender to push and chew so they are obviously moving, it's just not painful. She seems to be set out to make my experience as miserable as hers. :-+ After talking to some people at work they agreed that I need to tell that I am going to have a really positive experience as I have always wanted braces, that drugs are available for a reason and I will deal with the pain when it comes - nobody (please DON"T correct me if I am wrong!!) has ever died from the pain of braces.

Apart from that, everyone else is really supportive and said that it is awesome that I am doing this. My boyfriend made some smarty comment the other day about braces (he had them when he was a teenager) so I said to him "aren't you just the voice of doom" - he laughed and got the message... maybe thats what I should say to this girl I know!! :twisted:

ghostmyimag3

#8 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

My father in law had braces but he asked me how many radio stations can i recieve, and my niece said "watch out, train tracks" i told her"yeah, better step out the way before the train runs you over"
Which she is gonna feel some heat from it, she'll have them in the spring.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Thumbellina

#9 Post by Thumbellina »

I agree Meryaten, she is hard to work out anyway. A bit of an attention seeker/know it all. I generally stay away from her anyway but it is hard as our horses live at the same stables so we have the same friends.

So far I have just left her to dwell in her negativity but it is really starting to get on my nerves... her little conspiring winks with other ex-bracees while she says "you have no idea what you are in for" :roll:

Not to worry, like you say, I won't let her get me down 8)

Jillianleab

#10 Post by Jillianleab »

Gosh - by 14 you'd have thought she'd have developed a little bit more tact and self-censorship than that!!!
You would think.. trust me, the stories I could tell about that child! I think given the publicity of the internet I'll keep all comments to myself :wink:
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

*boom!*

#11 Post by *boom!* »

I haven't gotten negative comments, either.

DH's uncle jokingly asked me how many radio stations I get to which I quickly replied "26...but in a few months I'm hoping to get 53 or so" (I get the bottoms on later).

DH likes to call me "brace face" and I call him "four eyes". We are so mature. LOL
[/url]

spimpy

#12 Post by spimpy »

My friend told me I look 12...which is great because I'm 34 !!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

Seriously though, the only other "comment" I received was from someone who said "ça ne te gêne pas?" which, when translated directly into English means: "you don't feel shy?"
I proudly responded "no" and that was the end of the conversation. I have to say that that person doesn't have BAD teeth, although they're a bit on the yellow side... But I don't think she care much about appearances anyway...

Anyway, that has to be, in the 8 months that I've been braced, the only "negative comment" that I have heard. Everyone else says my teeth and smile look AMAZING. Take it all in when you get a good comment, it makes it all worth while... smile a lot too!

bunnyfluff

#13 Post by bunnyfluff »

I had a friend in high school (i'm only 19) who was like "Wow, i'm glad my teeth are straight and I never needed braces!" after I got mine on. I looked at her and said,

"You know, i've noticed how imperfect a lot of people's smiles are since I got them on, and actually you could use a little bit of work."

Shut her up right quick. She was kind of a snarky...something or other...anyway.

Another good one could also be "My braces will come off, but you'll always be a (insert insult here)"

Now I feel like i'm mean! :shock:

Love me, that's all I ask of you....
[ May 15, 2004 ]

ame_malia

#14 Post by ame_malia »

I haven't really had any really negative experiences with people making fun of my braces. When I first got them I salivated a lot, and made a "slurping" noise without really noticing it, and my boyfriend and one of my friends would both make fun of that (I think it was annoying sound). Also, one of my roommates wouldn't make fun of me exactly, but he would imitate my lisping.
I've also had a few people, (new aquaintances) ask me about my braces, then ask me how old I am, and then act very surprised that I'm 20, they usually think I'm around 15!
But I haven't had any really rude comments or anything, so I haven't had to have any witty come-backs.

LadyTr0uble

#15 Post by LadyTr0uble »

No negative comments here either. Unless you count the good natured teasing from friends (who then remind me that it's temporary and I will have a permanent beautiful smile):
-I am known as MC aka MicroChips now
-"Be nice, or I'll take out the magnets!"

I've bonded with several new coworkers who remembered their experiences. And with 2 other coworkers with braces, we have formed a "braced club."

Because I am in sales and I speak to many people throughout the day, I am surprised that many of them don't realize that I have braces on. Most of those who did notice would either voluntarily share their experiences or tell me that they have been thinking about getting them. Nothing but support from even strangers!