How long into wearing braces did you get a new wire

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ghostmyimag3

How long into wearing braces did you get a new wire

#1 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Anyone? I've worn my braces 6 weeks now and in 4 weeks i'm getting new wires. Just wondering how quickly others saw new wires.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Tin Indian

#2 Post by Tin Indian »

They replaced both wires at my first ajustment but only the top at my second ajustment. Third Ajustment is coming up in January.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

Amburly

#3 Post by Amburly »

I've had my braces on 3 weeks and went in for my first adjustment today, because they are going to be closed for a couple of weeks, and the assistant said that I was about a week away from a new wire but there just wasn't enough movement to put a new one on. So I guess that means a new wire on my next adjustment.

SecondTimer

#4 Post by SecondTimer »

I've had two adjustments. On the first adjustment at 6 weeks, they stayed with the original wires. On the second adjustment at 12 weeks, I went to larger wires on both the upper and lower arch. I think this is different for every patient/ortho combination, so I don't think you can predict what's going to happen based on others experience though.

Kodius Champion

#5 Post by Kodius Champion »

I believe I've had a new wire, top and bottom, at every adjustment.

lemonlyme

#6 Post by lemonlyme »

Ive gotten new wires every adjustment also :)

ame_malia

#7 Post by ame_malia »

First adjustment (2 months after braces put on) top wire was replaced.
Second adjustment (3 months after braces put on) bottom wire was replaced.
Third adjustment(4.5 months after braces put on) who knows because it hasn't happened yet!

kay

#8 Post by kay »

Hi ghostmyimag3! If i remember correctly, we both got braced on the same day! I had my 1st adjustment yesterday (6 weeks) and my ortho changed my wire to a slightly thicker one. It maybe cos im on abit of a strict deadline, not too sure! I just leave everything in his capable hands!

Bluemoonjo

#9 Post by Bluemoonjo »

I just had my 4th visit.

I've gotten new wires on top and bottom each visit so far..... a different number wire, not just changeing them.
Mama Jo

Zondrae

#10 Post by Zondrae »

I had my first wire on for 8 weeks. Ortho changed it on my 2nd adjustment & I'm on my 3rd new wire now. I think it really depends on how much "spring" is still left in your wire & if it still has work to do.

moonchick

#11 Post by moonchick »

I got mine 4 at my fourth adjustment and I'm due for another new wire at my next adjustment, which would be my 8th one.

Way Too Old For This

#12 Post by Way Too Old For This »

I think I've gotten a new wire every time. I think I had the thickest wire they could get in my brackets last time, then last week they went back to a thin wire on top. I have no idea why.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

jennielee81

#13 Post by jennielee81 »

I got my first new wire at 11 weeks (on the top only). Then at 20 weeks I got a new bottom wore.

In total I think I've only had 5 wires (9 if you separate top and bottom arches). 2 NiTi on each arch and then SS in baring sizes of rectangular wire after those. Top has gotten the odd number while the bottom got the even.

Top got 4 while bottom got 5.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

fitchick

#14 Post by fitchick »

I'm in my 7th month now and have had a new wire at every adjustment.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghostmyimag3

#15 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yeah kay, we were braced the same day ha ha!
Thanks for all the replies.....
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006