how long between first appt and braces applied?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

manglemouth

how long between first appt and braces applied?

#1 Post by manglemouth »

Can you tell I am giddy :lol: I have decided to finally, finally get braces and would like to know how long it usually takes after the initial appointment to get the next appointment where the braces are put on? I am so impatient already and I haven't even called them yet (since it's Sunday)

Thanks!!

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

I had my very first appointment on November 2. That was the free consult where they give you a rough estimate of time and cost and all that. Then I had another consult somewhere else that went exactly the same as the first, so I chose the first guy. I scheduled a records exam (they take x-rays and do molds of your teeth) for fairly soon after that, and then had to have a 4-week gap before my final consult so that they could get the plaster casts of my teeth made. I also had to get a periodontist consult during that time, which I think I did on November 28th or so. Then I had my final ortho consult maybe the next week, where he went over final costs, time estimates, and what would be involved. I needed extractions, so we couldn't get started right away. I had the extractions on December 12. Now I have my 6 month cleaning and checkup with my dentist on January 2nd and I'm getting braced on the 4th.

So, I guess it took me 2 months from initial consult to b-day. And that's with extractions and a major holiday in the mix.

But this can vary depending on your ortho's schedule. Hopefully you can get in soon. Glad to know that you are so excited about it. I know I am!

manglemouth

#3 Post by manglemouth »

Oy, that is longer than I thought :shock: I actually almost went with Invisalign about a year ago, had the impressions taken and all, but all along didn't have a good feeling about that ortho, even though he was supposed to be really good according to the invisalign site (premier provider). The girl who took my impressions was holding them in my mouth with one hand while chatting with a co-worker, moving around like crazy and I just knew that those impressions weren't gonna be any good. Sure enough, they weren't. That and a few other things gave me a bad feeling and I cancelled it altogether even though I had already put in like 1K...I think now I will just stick with the metal braces and hope I get a better vibe from this one I picked now. His website is really great so I hope he is just as good in person. Maybe I get lucky and get all the pre-stuff done quicker than 2 months but then again, it doesn't matter. As long as I click with this one and feel like he will do a great job, I'll wait patiently. Heck I have waited this long, I can wait a few more weeks :wink:

Thanks for giving me an idea of how long the appointments are spaced apart!

osubeanbags

#4 Post by osubeanbags »

I had my molds and X-rays before the holidays, so they slowed down the process a bit. I'm supposed to get braces on in February, about 6 or 7 weeks after the molds.

lemonlyme

#5 Post by lemonlyme »

I had my appointment with the ortho, that day i got molds and x-rays done and got my spacers in..3 weeks later i got my lower braces, and upper expander =)

manglemouth

#6 Post by manglemouth »

Wow, interesting to see how much the time frame can vary! I hope mine will be closer to the 3 weeks lol. I don't think anyone has ever been this excited about braces! I know some people are worried about their first appointment, me I am the complete opposite. I will count the hours once i know the date! I cannot wait to leave that office with metal everywhere, working on my teeth. Believe it or not, I am even anticipating the pain cause that'll be a sign of my teeth already moving! I had a really stupid ortho when I was a kid who thought only a retainer could fix my teeth even though they were really crooked. He extracted a tooh in the front - the one right next to the two front teeth - to make room so now my midline is off on top of my teeth being crooked cause my two front teeth just moved into that open space. UGH. When I had my invisalign appointment, that ortho couldn't believe they pulled a tooth in the front. So needless to say, I am SO SO SO excited to finally open my mouth the whole way to smile and not be embarrassed. Having the metal in my mouth will be nothing compared to the crooked teeth...at least there people can see that I am doing something about it! I will flash those things like fine jewelry :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will keep you all updated! I am calling tomorrow as soon as they open, go figure I had to make this decision during the holidays when I had to wait longer lol

Tin Indian

#7 Post by Tin Indian »

It took me 2 weeks to the day of my consult.I t could have been 1 week but it took me a while to calm my nerves.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

mayday

#8 Post by mayday »

I believe I had my consulation on November 14th and finally had upper braces put on December 20th. I might have been able to save a week if I didn't go to a different consult.

Either way, I was glad to have a short wait time. I told the receptionist that I would like to get in as soon as possible, so I was able to make all my appts one week apart.

sarahann77

#9 Post by sarahann77 »

I had my consult the beginning of Dec. They did the xrays and photos. At the end I was given the choice to schedule the app to get the braces on before or after Christmas. I chose before as I did want to get it started and eased into before I go back to work.

I'll also preface, I did not need extractions. I only had the one consult as he was a referal from my dentist and on my insurance network. I felt confortable with him and especially all the assistants in the office.

It certainly can be done fast...but does all depend on the circumstances and the suggested plan of attack.

I went in with a positive attitude but was only nervous when friends and family were second guessing my thoughts to do this. I kept the conversation of a friend who had braces as an adult who was extremely positive, repeating in the back of my mind. coming to this site and reading the posts to prepare myself helped to.

Delag

#10 Post by Delag »

8 months here. At my appt. I was told I needed surgery so I had to take time to meet with oral surgeons. I also needed to fix a bunch of stuff in order to be able to start. Due to my bad bite I needed crowns and all sorts of good stuff. Then I had to go though a stint of splint thearpy.....

iBorg

#11 Post by iBorg »

I had my consult which matched what I'd been told were the concerns, the ortho struck me as honest, had a spotless reputation and does a lot of work with adults. The free consult included pictures and X-rays. She doesn't make molds. My oral health is spotless, for example at 48 I have only four fillings.

I knew if I was going to do it, I should do it and not postpone it. I left with spacers. The next week I had my uppers.

I'm not sure if my anticipation/nerves would of let me go three months from the consult to starting.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Lisa65

#12 Post by Lisa65 »

I think it was about 6 weeks for me. I went for an initial consult, took to my ortho at once and liked his manner, so I had impressions and X rays done there and then.

I then had to wait because he needed to draw up a treatment plan for me to agree to and sign, plus he works singlehanded and is quite busy. So the 6 weeks was the earliest he could schedule the 3 appointments a week apart which I needed (one for spacers, one for molar bands and one for fitting the braces).

manglemouth

Well, there goes my excitement...

#13 Post by manglemouth »

So I called my ortho 5 mins after they opened this morning, excited and ready to get started. Then I talked to a friend who said she had braces for 5 years and how horrible it was. TMJ pain which she never had before braces, horrible pain from the adjustments and how the braces cut your mouth and that dental wax doesn't do much cause it keeps falling off and you end up swallowing alot of it.

I still want to do it cause ultimately I want straight teeth and I will do anything to get them...but needless to say, my excitement just went out the door :cry:

My appointment is this Friday...

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

horrible pain from the adjustments and how the braces cut your mouth and that dental wax doesn't do much cause it keeps falling off and you end up swallowing alot of it.
I've never had more than mild discomfort following an adjustment, which is easily controlled with an OTC painkiller like ibuprofen. There are people on this board who have never needed any pain meds following adjustments.

The braces can irritate the inside of your mouth to begin with, but keeping hydrated by drinking plenty of water, using warm salt-water rinses to toughen your mouth, and application of wax to cushion sore spots will help with that.

If you put the wax on properly it doesn't come off, and even if you swollow it, it doesn't hurt you!

I'm sorry your friend had a bad braces experience but it doesn't have to be like that. A positive attitude will go a long way towards making your braces experience a much more pleasant one. Don't let one person's bad experience put you off. With the exception of a week or so's "blip" following a problem with one of my mini-implant screws being rejected, I've never doubted for a minute that getting braces was the right choice.

Look at Friday as the beginning of a positive thing that you are doing for YOU :wink:

Lisa x

manglemouth

#15 Post by manglemouth »

Thanks Lisa, it's nice to be reassured that she probably just had a really bad experience and that mine doesn't have to be like that. I am a little more excited again :wink: