AHHHH!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starbaby71

AHHHH!

#1 Post by starbaby71 »

Okay this is kind of disturbing.. you know those little hooks that are on the outside of your molar bands? Well, mine dig into my gums like crazy but until now, it hasn't really caused any problems. I was brushing my teeth last night and realized that I have a HOLE in my cheek thanks to that stupid little hook. It's right where the hook would hit it and it's not a whole lot bigger than the end of the hook.. Oh and get this.. I was brushing my teeth and noticed something caught in my molar band.. I figured it was pineapple strings because I was eating fruit right before I brushed my teeth.. nah uh. :shock: It was cheek strings.. Yep, strings of my cheek tissue. :shock:

starbaby71

#2 Post by starbaby71 »

oops I meant my cheeks, not gums :)

KriegeR

#3 Post by KriegeR »

Hi StarBaby71.

Before you start panicking I thought I'd better clear one thing up. EVERYBODY has a holes in their cheeks believe it or not, me included. The holes haven't been caused by the molar band hooks; they are actually salivary glands!

You have 4 prominent salivary glands in your mouth; one in the centre of each cheek, and 2 under your tongue at the front. If you look in a mirror and lift up your tongue, you can see the small glands as 'lumps' on either side of the thin bit of skin connected to your tongue.

However I had to agree that the ones in the cheeks can be annoying with molar band hooks. Usually when I have a big yawn, I manage to hook one of the glands on my bracket, and end up having to do a cheesy grin to unhook it again.

Katica

#4 Post by Katica »

Can you cover the molar band with wax so that it's a nice smooth surface resting against the inside of your cheek? Hopefully that helps (Along with KK's salt water rinse idea!)