I'm braced!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

camille

I'm braced!!!

#1 Post by camille »

I just got back from the orthodontist. I'm a metal mouth now!

First, they took out my expander. It felt SO good and I love having my palette back. They polished my teeth, and then the fun began.

They put on the lip stretcher, and stuffed my mouth with cotton. Then they put some horrible tasting stuff on every tooth, and then put some stuff on that tasted like Elmer's Glue, or at least what I thought Elmer's Glue would taste like. :) (Sorry for saying stuff so much, I don't know the technical terms!) After lots of prep, they began placing brackets. I didn't feel anything, except some pressure here and there when they really pushed the brackets on.

Finally, they took off the lip stretcher. I rinsed out (and looked horrible with just brackets). When I went back, my ortho put on bite turbos. One of them fell off, but she didn't want to replace it. I really don't like it.... it gives me a slight lisp and I can't bite down completely. Oh well, it's better than the expander.
Now comes the painful part. She put on the wire. I have a couple teeth that are very crooked and turned, so engaging them in the wire REALLY HURT. Last but not least, she put on the little rubber things. I chose blue, but I wish they had a darker blue.

I'm not really hurting yet. The brackets just started cutting into my cheeks. I guess one good thing about the bite turbo is that I can't put my molars together so I can't really cause more pain.
Phew, it feels good to be done, but I'm still nervous about going back to school and about the pain.

When do most people start to hurt? And also, how long does it last?
Thanks everyone for all of their support yesterday when I was so nervous! :P

cowlypso

#2 Post by cowlypso »

Hey.... congrats! We got braced on the same day. I just got brackets today, though. I get my archwire next week, along with molar bands. But I did the whole lip stretcher, etchant, bracket-bonding thing. I went with purple ligs. Glad that you survived!

camille

#3 Post by camille »

Thanks! Cowlypso- Good thing you survived too! The pain has kicked in. A LOT. The brackets are still cutting my cheeks and now my teeth are REALLY tender. OUCH! I don't like the way I look with them either. I guess this is the hard part of braces.

Catmom

#4 Post by Catmom »

Congats, Camille and welcome to the metalmouth club!

I'm one of the unlucky people who is very sensitive to mouth pain and had several horrible painful days at first. I still have some pain now, but it's tolerable - actually it's more pressure than pain, except at night.

Remember the warm water rinses and OTC pain meds. I actually had to resort to Tylenol 3's by prescription, but now Advil seems to work most of the time.

Good luck!!

camille

#5 Post by camille »

Thanks. A few minutes ago I was laying in bed, and I heard a loud pop. The bracket on my furthest back molar on my top row of teeth came off, and now the wire is poking my cheek! I'm trying to reach my ortho but they're not answering. Aaah!

cbushnaq

#6 Post by cbushnaq »

Congrats Camille! The pain shouldn't last too long. I had quite a bit of pain for about 1 week but it wasn't unbearable. Now it comes and goes but the worst is always after an adjustment and its never been as bad as when the braces were first put on. Though the pain never bothers me too much. I just think - Hey my teeth are moving into a better position and looking so much better! (Except for my lower arch that is going through a got to get worse before it can get better stage :lol: )

Also congrats on getting your expander out. I have one and it doesn't come out until Jan 19th. Did it hurt when they took it out? I am so excited to get rid of mine but I am extremely worried about how hard it will be to get it out :? .

I bet you look great with your braces. I thought I looked terrible but I think it is just the shock of seeing them on your teeth.

Good luck and I hope the pain eases real soon and you get your bracket fixed today.

C.

camille

#7 Post by camille »

KK- You're lucky that you haven't had pain! My sister didn't either.
But believe me I do.

Cbushnaq- It doesn't hurt to get our the expander. I felt a lot of pressure, but not really pain. It only takes a couple of minutes and is SOOO worth it, believe me. It feels great to have a naked palette again!

hd2755

#8 Post by hd2755 »

lip stretcher NOT and cotton NOT for me my orthro did it without it. GLUE what is it with GLUE. It is LEMONADE that is OLD. AND 99.99 percent pain free. but congrats on the b day

louis