Smiling with Heavy Metal Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Frenchsmile

Smiling with Heavy Metal Braces

#1 Post by Frenchsmile »

Always feel frustrated smiling with my heavy metal braces.
they feel bulky and ugly I have been told. Very heavy indeed in my mouth. Feel like having 2 rows of teeth. Any reactions on your side ?
Thanks

Laurent
Laurent

Metal Braces for Uppers and Lowers - Since June 06.
Next Appointment January 09: 3 and a half Years.
Final appointment !

hd2755

#2 Post by hd2755 »

well i will tell you rhis since janurary 2 when i got mine on all metal and silver ligs it just seems that i cannot stop smiling and even talking my lips just cannot fully close yet. i feel that there is a big sign on my face NEW METAL MOUTH FACE HERE LOOKS ARE FREE! good luck with yours. i have had olny .005 percent pain so far.

louis

Frenchsmile

Metal Mouth

#3 Post by Frenchsmile »

Thank you Louis. Good to read your opinion ! Incredible difference !!
Laurent

Metal Braces for Uppers and Lowers - Since June 06.
Next Appointment January 09: 3 and a half Years.
Final appointment !

Delag

#4 Post by Delag »

I smile really really big now that I have my metal braces. Of course if I smile half way my lips get stuck on the brackets and then I have that really weird shaped smile, as well as the problem of how to get my lips off the brackets without looking like I am trying to unsick them because that would be most unatrative. Keep your sense of humor Laurent and don't let ANYONE tell you your braces are ugly - we all know better!

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Thing I laugh about is before braces I "NEVER" Smiled, and now that I have had braces for over 3 months I'm smilieing every second I have a chance to just strange. At first I was like I don't want to smile I don't like people stareing but then out of no where I started smileing and could not STOP!

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

They are a little bulky yes, but it's never stopped me smiling :D I wouldn't pay too much attention to those ignorant people who tell you braces look ugly.

They will have much fewer negative comments to make once the braces are off and they see what beautiful teeth you have!

broochie

#7 Post by broochie »

Hi Laurent,

Welcome to this board! Yes, I agree metal braces are ugly, I have them myself and I hate the way they look. But they do wonders to the teeth/bite, and it's all for the better.

According to a study, when people look at your face, the firs thing they notice are the "white" elements : the white of the eyes and of the teeth, then, in decreasing order, the smile, the lips, the eyes and finally the nose. Here is the article (unfortunately it's in French):
http://www.sds-news.com/public/news/arc ... etique.htm

Good luck with your journey, and remember, you'll have a gorgeous smile at the end!

cowlypso

#8 Post by cowlypso »

I haven't had any issues about smiling. I'm not really caring about who sees my braces. My biggest smiling issue is that I literally can't stop smiling. My lips get hung up on those little hooks on my upper canine brackets. Oh well. It just provides some comic relief to all involved, which makes us all laugh, and then I have the same problem all over again... :lol:

platinum

#9 Post by platinum »

According to a study, when people look at your face, the firs thing they notice are the "white" elements : the white of the eyes and of the teeth, then, in decreasing order, the smile, the lips, the eyes and finally the nose.
...finally the nose.
Wow! My nose is crooked and my nostrils are different size and shape.
Almost nobody notices it. Just after i tell them they see it :)

LucyVanity

#10 Post by LucyVanity »

I also agree that braces are ugly XD but hey there isn't much point in complaining about the aesthetics. I figure I can waste my time being negative about many other things, like humanity and dirty bathrooms. As for smiling, I definitely wide-smile a lot more now just because of the lips-getting-caught-on-braces thing that other people have mentioned. It is just uncomfortable to try smiling halfway :\ besides, it doesn't matter much for me because I have a habit of covering my mouth with a hand when I laugh, just as a mannerism thing. I've been doing that forever, and I see no reason to quit.

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

I don't know if it's an age thing that some people hate the look of their braces. I just turned 37 and had severe ,severe crowding on uppers and lowers. Finally when I noticed a significant amount of alignment I just started smiling more,I mean BIG smiles. I feel that if I try to cover them up with my lips then they look even more bigger. My kids will actually have keepsake pictures of me in albums now! I was in about 10% of all pictures,maybe less.

Gennel

Jembrace

#12 Post by Jembrace »

Oh, man, I can relate to all of you! I smile a lot, too, and get my upper lip hung up on the brackets. Add to that, my upper arch is very wide, the braces are there to make the arch more narrow. My canine teeth brackets actually push my lips out even more at the corners!

I just try to take matters as they come and to remember my teeth will be aligned properly once I'm done with the braces. If other people want to make comments, it's their problem not mine! I'm old enough that I don't worry about what other folks think about my braces. LOL!

Jembrace
1st wire change June 2007

~No dream is ever lost if we never cease to try~
Moody Blues

fitgirl06

#13 Post by fitgirl06 »

I try to do my best and smile whenever i can....it's just when i meet new people that i get very self conscious and so i try to hide them....i feel such a geek anyway, cuz even if i actually get to hide them, i think anybody can tell i'm trying to hide something LOL. I try to do my best but it's just unconscious i guess. I will improve LOL