Buying wax?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gunter8888

Buying wax?

#1 Post by gunter8888 »

It seems most folks on here recieved some orthodontic wax from the orthodontist when they first got their braces. I am curious how many get additional wax from their ortho and how many buy their own?

I only used wax for the first 3-4 days after having my bottoms applied and I thought I would have plenty left over for when my tops go on in a few weeks. Then I took a basketball in the mouth and had to use copious amounts of wax while my lip healed. Now, I am pretty sure I won't have enough left for when I get my tops.

Do I ask the ortho for more? I have no problem buying my own; I am just curious what is customary among other braces wearers. My wife seems to think the ortho should provide more.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Kodius Champion

#2 Post by Kodius Champion »

I bought several containers of wax at the local drug store (for ~ $2.60 each) before I said to myself one day, "What the heck are ya doing? You can get this stuff for free!"

As such, I've made a habit of asking for a new container of wax at every second adjustment or so, and have never had an issue.

Gennel

#3 Post by Gennel »

That is great that youget free wax at your ortho! He gave me a starter pack with a bunch of other goodies. I buy my own at Walmart $1.67 for a double pack. It has a soft mint taste that keeps your breath soooooo nice !
I also find it at Walgreens Pharmacy but they charge $2.59 for the same brand and only one single pack of wax!!

I stopped using wax pretty much after 2-3 weeks after I was braced. Now that I got an expander on my lower teeth in November I HAVE to have it .So I usually buy 6 packs for a total of 12 wax packets. I would say that the best thing that has helped with sore tongue and cheecks has been WAX!!

Gennel

lionfish

#4 Post by lionfish »

I'm in Aussie. I get as much wax as I want from my ortho.

Lisa65

#5 Post by Lisa65 »

You can't buy dental wax in shops in the UK, at least I've never seen it anywhere. There are a couple of UK places online where you can buy it.

I get mine from my ortho. If I need more I just ask him for some, although I don't often need it.

Chris

#6 Post by Chris »

After 2 1/2 years I still get free wax at the ortho office.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

ellebee

#7 Post by ellebee »

My Ortho gives out wax liberally. I got a huge handful of packets at my second visit, when I was still very into wax. Now I use it only rarely.

However, I asked for a couple of extra orthodontic toothbrushes and I had to pay for them. A whole $1 apiece. Plus $3 for one of those sports bite guards -- really helps with the clenching at night AND with the night mouth dryness.

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

ghostmyimag3

#8 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I do not recommend that GUM mint wax that junk is just that...junk. It broke down on me too quick. I couldnt reuse it. It was sorta melt in my teeth. The non mint GUM is ok.

I don't wear wax anymore though.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Way Too Old For This

#9 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Whenver my ortho adds something new to my mouth the girls always ask if I have plenty of wax.

If I did run out though, I would probably buy it rather than trying to get to the ortho office when someone was there, etc. Just easier to buy it and its super cheap. All the grocery stores and drug stores carry it. I've found just about anywhere that carries toothpaste carries dental wax.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

blackcat20

#10 Post by blackcat20 »

When i first got my braces on and got my little goody box, i was told i could get extra wax etc if I run out...but i dont bother. I go through so much of the stuff that waiting two months for appointments is impossible. So I buy it, generally at the supermarket, and its not expensive.

Julie08

Wax

#11 Post by Julie08 »

My ortho gave me some when I was initially braced and told me to stop by the office for more if I need it. But that's not usually convenient, so I pick some up at Wal-mart when I'm there grocery shopping. I only need it for 3 or 4 days after an adjustment, but I use GOBS of it then.

Julie08

Wax

#12 Post by Julie08 »

My ortho gave me some when I was initially braced and told me to stop by the office for more if I need it. But that's not usually convenient, so I pick some up at Wal-mart when I'm there grocery shopping. I only need it for 3 or 4 days after an adjustment, but I use GOBS of it then.

BracedBelle

#13 Post by BracedBelle »

When my top braces went on in May I only needed wax for 1 week (ish), and then at adjustments. But my bottoms have been on since October and I need wax every single night (on half of my brackets) or I end up with a mouth full of wounds and blood in the morning. Anyone else have this? Everyone I've talked to said they only need it after adjustments? :(

Wax is no longer available at drugstores or Walmart in my area. I go through more than 1 pack of wax a week so I get 3 from my ortho every 2 weeks. It's a hassle because I only go for adjustments every 8 weeks so I have to stop by much more frequently than necessary. Argh!

*boom!*

#14 Post by *boom!* »

Well I'm by no means an expert and I haven't even cracked a pack of wax yet, but I know I can get it from my ortho if I need any.

I have also done the salt water rinses, especially after having four teeth pulled, and have had little to no problems.
[/url]