Update Damon 3s more door problems=Back to eating soup

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

melli

Update Damon 3s more door problems=Back to eating soup

#1 Post by melli »

Hello everybody
I wrote a post a couple of days ago telling you about my last appoitment when they had to change one of my brackets because the stupid door would not open...
I had another appointment today and I was hoping everything would go smoothly...Instead, this time, 3 of those stupid doors would not open...my ortho came, got 2 doors to open but still, he had to change another bracket that did not want to cooperate.
Then, they put a bigger wire on top...which made it hard to close the doors...but my ortho told me he tought it was still possible to make my arch wider and it should keep changing with this new wire he put in..I was quite happy about that.. :lol:
However, the technician got mixed up with the bottom wire...she put one, had a very hard time closing the doors...which ended up hurt like hell... :twisted: and when I though I was finally going home...she told me she got mixed up that she had to change the bottom wire :x so she had to open the frigging doors once more :roll: , which was painful :evil: ..take out the wire, put a smaller one and of course, try to close the doors once more!! You can imagine that now my teeth hurt a lot so I get to drink soup...even if I had planned to have sushi..but I can't imagine biting in a sushi right now..let alone the rice that always end up everywhere between the brackets..
Can't wait for it to be over!
My next appointment is in 9 weeks..I will probably post another message then...
Take care!

joney

#2 Post by joney »

Eeek! Sounds nasty. I have damons but have not had my first adjustment yet. I hope the doors open ok. Hope things improve for you soon and that the pain doesn't last too long.

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

melli

If it can help you Joney..

#3 Post by melli »

Thanks for your message :)
I hope things will go fine with your doors. If it can reassure you, I did not have much problems at the beginning of my treatment..I think with time tartar gets in the little doors which makes them hard to open. Maybe you should take extra care in brushing around and under the brackets real good..this might help things (I actually do that and it seems to help for some brackets...while others are stubborn for unknown reasons).
take care

Higgy

#4 Post by Higgy »

I too have had "Door difficulties"....there are a few of mine...that even when brand new had issues. Can't say I'm too fond of the extra pressure it takes to get them open at times.

BracedBelle

#5 Post by BracedBelle »

Oh my goodness I was wondering if it was just me! My last appointment was soooo painful because 2 doors wouldn't open on my lower right. The assistant braced herself against me trying to yank it open, while I was cringing against the headrest with tears in my eyes. She said "don't pull away or I'll end up slipping and hitting you in the gums, and then we'll really have a problem!"

Two of my teeth were loose for a couple of weeks afterwards :(

Worst experience ever. I'm scared the same thing will happen with my next appointment. My ortho said it should get better since it's happening in a crowded teeth area which is straightening out quickly.

*fingers crossed*

Destor

#6 Post by Destor »

Fortunately I've had absolutely no problems with doors opening and closing in over a year of treatment.

And am not religious about brushing at all either, on top of eating anything and everything.
Braced November 29, 2005. Damon 3's on top and bottom

broochie

#7 Post by broochie »

For me too, opening and closing some of the doors on my metal Damon 3 has been somewhat of a problem on my last adjustment. Tartar buildup seems to be the issue here. No matter how often and carefully you brush/floss, some people just seem to be more "tartar builders" than others. I think this is due to the pH of the saliva, but I may be wrong. Anyway, hang in there, fortunately with Damons adjustment are less frequent than with conventional systems.

jennielee81

#8 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow, sorry to hear about your awful adjustment!

I only had trouble with one bracket's door. That was on a tooth that always needed a bend in the wire and because of that it wouldn't fit into the slot well.

The doc would really push hard on the wire and the door would close. WHen it would come time to take the wire out at an adjustment, the door was resistent to opening.

Even yesterday when they debonded me the assistant said, "oh no, I have to open THAT door again!"

In my case it was the wire position that caused the problem. Melli, maybe like your ortho said it's because of the severe crowding there and that once the wire straightens out, it'll be easier!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

tomjscott

#9 Post by tomjscott »

Sorry to hear about your problems with the doors. This is the first I had heard of such problems. I have the Damon braces as well and have gone through 2 adjustments without any difficulties at all. Maybe things will get better for you from now on.

Emerald

#10 Post by Emerald »

I have had a few problems with my damon doors too

Although I have damon 2 brackets

They seem to built up a lot of tartar

My ortho tried painting vinegar on the brackets trick which was a little unpleasant because of the smell, i'm not really sure it helped the opening of the brackets much though.

Hmm...
Emerald
I had self-ligating braces for 4 years & 8 months.

I'm now in Hawley retainers for top jaw (during day) and Essix retainers for bottom jaw (at night).

I had Jaw surgery on 14th July 2008

Please see blog for more details:

http://emeraldsdentaldiary.blogspot.com

redsfn77

No problems so far...

#11 Post by redsfn77 »

I had my first adjustment on Thursday. I was in and out in 35 minutes. She did have a tiny issue with one of the doors, but thankfully she didn't have to brace herself against me. I have Damon 2's and they have been great so far. I have continued with the salt rinses and probably brush more than I am supposed to and also rinse with Crest's Flouride Rinse and they were satisfied with the hygiene and did not attribute the stick in the door to plaque, just a stubborn door. I hope this 10 weeks shows a little more progress and my teeth are moving, but not at a pace that I was expecting. My ortho told me to be patient and that the teeth had moved, just not as much as I would like. Take care everyone!!
Last edited by redsfn77 on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
[/url]

[/url]

Betty Bat

#12 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
I'm one of the folks with Damon door issues. Not only is it disheartening to have someone pushing on your teeth to open and shut the doors (and to fit the wire in), but it's also disheartening to read messages from those of you who don't have problems! It's not our imagination and we aren't doing it on purpose. For those of you who are lucky with your Damons, could you at least offer a little sympathy?

redsfn77

Sorry...

#13 Post by redsfn77 »

I do have sympathy as we are all in the same position. I didn't post to rub it in anyone's face. Please accept my apology. I have just been lucky so far and have heard about the Damon 3 issues from my own ortho as this is why he chose to go with the 2's. I hope it get's better for you as your treatment goes along.
[/url]

[/url]

Betty Bat

#14 Post by Betty Bat »

Howdy,
No apology necessary, redsfn77. I didn't mean to sound that crabby! I think that each one of us will have something specific with their braces that bothers and/or concerns them. For quite a while, it was my elastics - I thought that was the worst part of the braces experience for me. Now, after wearing them 24/7 for 8 months, I only have to wear them at night. What a relief! The problem with the Damon doors is a more intense experience, but it doesn't happen every day. Elastics are always there.

And, I had the sticking door problem with my Damon 2's.

Thanks for responding! It was very nice to read your encouraging words.

Betty Bat

#15 Post by Betty Bat »

Thanks to you, also, Meryaten. As I said earlier, each one of us has or will have a different "stressor" with braces. I know that you have had your share also. Congratulations to all of us, for sticking it out through the bad days that we might have.