Can a tooth hitting another the wrong way slow progress?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

turrrtlelove22

Can a tooth hitting another the wrong way slow progress?

#1 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

My lower right canine is hitting the back of my upper right lateral incisor. It's ok during the day, but at night I clench and push on the back of my teeth and sometimes grind...eeeek. And when I wake up in the morning my teeth are really sore, especially these two. Or I have a splitting headache. And my molars hurt like the when I got my braces on...I can tell they have finally loosened up...when I chew or clench I can feel them shift on the wire and the tiebacks make a clicking sound...

But anywho...I was just curious if this would slow progress any? In a way I think it has already because it's one of the only spots where the wire is still bowed or flared upwards...

Any thoughts? Feedback?... :D :D :D
LiFe iS A HoOt iF You arE aN oWL...O.o

Sept. 28 ~ Consult with Orthodontist
Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

turrrtlelove22

#2 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

I'll be sure to ask. With all the good progress, it would suck to have it hindered...bleh

Just wondered if anyone had this happen before and what they did for it...unless it fixed itself...that would be great...haha

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!

ghostmyimag3

#3 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Turtle, i have one that when i got them two months and some change ago they hit, then they didn't now they are again. Until it gets in place i just try not to clench (i have a bad bad habit of doing it)or bite down on it. It sometimes is uncomfortable because i can't exactly bite down normally again. I am getting new wires next week so i'm hoping it'll be soon it moves
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

Zondrae

#4 Post by Zondrae »

I have some clanging together sometimes, but it moves itself so quickly that it really hasn't been a problem. Well not a problem apart from the soreness! :lol: I'm looking forward to the day when my arch is straighter & it doesn't happen any more. It is particularly worse at night - I clench when I'm asleep too.

pippy

#5 Post by pippy »

I had it at the start, then all was well after about a month...now we're back with it again with the exact same two teeth as you. ASked ortho about it before I left (am getting better at this assertive thing lol) and he reckoned the tooth would move to compensate over the next week. And there's a first for my ortho - he pulled out the photos of my teeth and showed me what he meant (must have been on happy pills) and showed how much my overbite had improved (hence the clanging of teeth - no fear of them hitting each other before :oops:

So definitely ask him - I was worried it was going to push out my nice newly straight top ones...but apparently not.

turrrtlelove22

#6 Post by turrrtlelove22 »

That tooth is still hitting the other...more some days than others. It doesn't hurt anymore, it has kind of moved and is hitting another part of the same tooth. But I can tell the tooth above it has moved...YAY!!!!

Dec. 5 ~ Spacers In
Dec. 12 ~ Braces On!!!