For those of you with Damon's

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chevyhuny

For those of you with Damon's

#1 Post by chevyhuny »

Hello :-1

My new braces were installed today and since coming to this board I have a curious question. I knew before going to my appointment that we would be doing Damon 3s.

After they were done and I got home I was surprised to find out just which Damon's he had installed and I was curious to see if anyone has the same "set up" as me. I am not having any troubles, I am only asking this as I am curious. :D Please excuse me if I do not explain this perfectly as I am new to this but I am hoping you can understand.

On my top 6 teeth I have Damon 3s (half clear half metal)
Then on the rest of my teeth both top and bottom are the Damon 3MXs.

I knew I would be getting the regular Damon 3s but I was surprised to find that I also have the MXs which are on most of my teeth. Does anyone else have this sort of combination?

Again I do not have a problem, I am just curious. :D There seems to be many combinations out there.

SimInsomniac

#2 Post by SimInsomniac »

I have plain Damon 3s on both my uppers and lowers, but I am aware of some people on this board having the same sort of combination as you. I love my damons; they're less noticeable than most other metal braces and have been doing a wonderful job so far.
Best of luck with your new braces.

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

BracedBelle

#3 Post by BracedBelle »

You guys all know so much more than me... I have Damons but I didn't know there were various types, and I have no idea exactly which type I have!

overseasmel

#4 Post by overseasmel »

Hi there. My ortho said that the clear bits on the damon 3s sometimes have a tendency to break away. So he prefers to use the much stronger 3mx where possible. I am guessing that's why your ortho chose the combination you have- 3s for the more visible teeth and 3mxs everywhere else. I have ceramics on my top 8 and conventionals/bands on my top molars, with 3mxs on the bottom.

Good luck with your journey!

Braced 20 Nov 06. Sentenced to 18-30 months. Released 23 Feb 09 (27 months and 3 days).
Uppers: 3M Clarity Ceramic. Lowers: Damon 3MX.
SARPE 21 April 06 and 7.5 months in expander (on for 2 weeks before surgery), turning to a width of 14.5mm.

KatK

#5 Post by KatK »

I'll be getting Damon's but i have no idea what type! Do you have pictures of yours?
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

chevyhuny

#6 Post by chevyhuny »

Thank you everyone for your information. Its nice to know there are others out there with the same types of combinations and I can see now why they are in the combination they are. You are great help. :D

For those of you who said you don't know what the differences look like?
I searched the net for you to try and show you photos of the different brackets. I hope its ok to post them here.

Here is a Damon 2 Bracket
http://www.ormco.com/index/damon-thesys ... thebracket

Here is a Damon 3 Bracket
http://www.ormco.com/index/damon-thesys ... bracket-01

Here is a Damon 3mx Bracket
http://www.silomdental.com/damon3mx.html

Here is a model with the Damon 3s on top, (half ceramic and half metal) and ... Damon 3MXs on the bottom (full metal) http://www.damonbraces.com/images/inter ... podont.jpg

I have Damon 3 on six of my top-front teeth and Damon 3mx on all of the rest. I hope this helps. :D

jdub

#7 Post by jdub »

I've got the same setup - top six are the normal Damon 3's, the rest are Damon 3MXs. When I was first discussing it with my Dr, she said the top six would be clear - it wasn't until my records appt that I found out they were going to be Damons and so clear wasn't entirely clear. I'm not sure how less noticeable the Damon 3's are in regards to the 3MXs - it's obvious they are braces either way.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to the board,

JDub

BracedBelle

#8 Post by BracedBelle »

thanks for the pics! Now I know that I have Damon 3's :D

consideringbracesDC

#9 Post by consideringbracesDC »

i have this combination too. so far, so good. NO pain, mild discomfort only during the first week. I am now in week 5. Go for my first adjustment on Feb. 14. I've actually been a little worried that if it doesn't hurt, it may not be working?? Also, my breath is not so fresh despite brushing morning and night and after each meal/snack. I am brushing 5 to 7 times a day!

consideringbracesDC

#10 Post by consideringbracesDC »

KK, good points. :D

no, i am just brushing regularly and often and using Crest ProHealth rinse. I use Plax in the am. I don't have the other gadgets you mentioned. I tend to floss the front teeth but cant seem to get to the back ones.

do folks with damons also get the elastics? i thought damons didn't need them. Sorry for this off topic question but someone just asked me if needed to wear them.

JoeMama

#11 Post by JoeMama »

Meryaten's right. I'm in Damon 3s (and MXs - I know now thanks to your post). There are no ligs around the brackets, but I am having to wear elastics now, towards the end of my treatment. Elastics are rubber bands that usually go from top to bottom teeth in all sorts of painfully interesting configurations, depending on your teeth. :D
Damon 3s. On 2/15/2006. Off 2/21/2007!
Essix on uppers, Hawley on lowers.

chevyhuny

#12 Post by chevyhuny »

Gosh I can only imagine how painful it would be with elastics added. I'm on day 4 without any elastics added to my Damons and I'm in a lot of pain and irritation.

About noon yesterday I began to doubt my sanity for doing this. :huh: Then I tried to floss and I knew I was nuts. :yikes: VERY ouchy.

drh20s

<message deleted>

#13 Post by drh20s »

<message deleted>
Last edited by drh20s on Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chevyhuny

#14 Post by chevyhuny »

Wow I did not know that either! Thank you. :D

Has anyone else had other people examine your braces like they were made by NASA? :lol: Gosh.... they all want to look at the little doors.

chevyhuny

#15 Post by chevyhuny »

consideringbracesDC wrote:i have this combination too. so far, so good. NO pain, mild discomfort only during the first week. I am now in week 5. Go for my first adjustment on Feb. 14. I've actually been a little worried that if it doesn't hurt, it may not be working?? Also, my breath is not so fresh despite brushing morning and night and after each meal/snack. I am brushing 5 to 7 times a day!
Your so lucky, my teeth are a bunch of whiners. It took two weeks for the pain level to subside enough to eat. I ended up eating pudding, yogurt and baby food for a while. :oops: (Just the fruits, noodles, thing like that).

Just touching any of my teeth was WOW painful. :shock: So chewing was out of the question. I think my teeth understand now that no amount of complaining is going to change anything. They are wearing their new Damon's whether they like it or not. Its nice to eat grown up food again. :-*