A Newbie' Question - Molar Bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

She Waits

A Newbie' Question - Molar Bands

#1 Post by She Waits »

Hi,

It’s been less than one day since I have gotten my braces, and I am hungry but reluctant to eat. The greatest issue are my molar bands (is that what they’re called?). I understand that they have vertical hooks on the outside to hold the elastic bands in place, but they also have pieces of metal (smaller horizontal hooks) protruding my tongue top and bottom, left and right, making it difficult for me to swallow let alone eat :cry: . Is this normal? If it is, how can I overcome this and bear it for the next two years? Replies deeply appreciated!

Worried,
She Waits.

Michal

#2 Post by Michal »

Welcome to the board. This is a great website with tons of information and support.

As for your molar bands, it's normal. They are cleats. I have them on mine and they drove me nuts. Ask your ortho if he/she is going to use them. If not, ask if they will either grind them off or put a ligature around them. I had my bottom ones ground off and still have the top ones. I'm sure your ortho will help you out on this.

Try some soft foods or soups to begin with. Before you know it, you'll eat just about everything you did before you got braces.

Good luck.

3M Clarity up front, rest metal--20 Jan 2006
Debraced 20 Apr 2007, 15 months total in Braces

She Waits

#3 Post by She Waits »

Hey Michal,

Thank you, thank you, for your advice - I'll be sure to ask my orthodontist about it the next time I see him. In the mean time, time to suck up the pain, act less like my shoe size and more like my age!

Thanks again! :)