powerchains

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mandaluv

powerchains

#1 Post by mandaluv »

ok, so i was under the impression that elastic powerchains were for CLOSING gaps only. but i just read something KK wrote in another post about powerchains pulling teeth apart.

<<I>>

has anyone else heard about powerchains also pulling teeth apart? the reason i am so curious is because i also have my upper central incisors slightly overcrowded, where one slightly cuts in front of the other. i just got powerchains on the front 4 uppers to close a gap that my braces opened between my right 2 incisors. sooo, does anyone have any idea if the powerchains might straighten those central uppers as well? sorry for such a long post!
[/url]

SimInsomniac

#2 Post by SimInsomniac »

This is a question I will certainly be asking my ortho next month. I am in pretty much the same situation as you mandaluv.
My powerchains are closing the gaps across both arches and while the triangle formed between my central incisors is smaller, they still are tilted and overlap slightly at the ends. Maybe bending the wire later on will straighten these teeth more once the gaps have finished closing.

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

jennandtonic

#3 Post by jennandtonic »

From what I've been told, powerchains are to move teeth, no matter if it is for a gap or moving them just purely to move them. A few months ago I got a powerchain that they used just to make my midline a lot more straight. By then, all of my gaps on those teeth had closed, so the powerchain was just purely for moving all of those teeth to a better position.