Early Career & Selecting Ligature Colors

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jazzbone42

Early Career & Selecting Ligature Colors

#1 Post by jazzbone42 »

I saw a post already dealing with going conservative with colors when job searching, but what about if you're early career (been working 1 yr)?

I do IT work (applications coding, support & database stuff) for a major oil company, the dress code in our local office is rather casual...most days people wear jean/slacks with polo type shirts (I sometimes dress up a level when dealing with users). I talked to my supervisor (old enough to be my dad & has an gold hoped earring he wears at work), he seemed fine with me doing color combinations, so did most other people...but one of my girlfriends at the office who is also in her mid-20s & my Mom brought up worries about professionalism. Are colors when you're young and a relative new hire a bad idea? :?: I don't want to be a programmer forever & have aspirations of leadership/supervisory roles in the next 5-15 years.

Thanks
-Mairin

Zondrae

#2 Post by Zondrae »

I'd say the industry you are in allows for a bit of creativity! That plus people don't really notice our lig colours - we notice them a whole lot more than anyone else does.

I say go for it. :D

jazzbone42

#3 Post by jazzbone42 »

Thanks Zondrae & KK!

I talked to one of my mentors & he said to have fun with the colors until I'm told otherwise, he thinks it might even get me some "thinking out of the box" points. :lol:

erik

#4 Post by erik »

Another thing to consider is that in technology, there tends to be quite a bit of turnover. Most people don't stay in a position or company that long. In a fairly short time you will find that few people will know that you ever had braces. People move into new positions, take new opportunities all the time.

I am software engineer, and while I have been with my current company since it's early days (10 years now), few others have. I am somewhat an exception to the rule because lots of people have come and gone through our place...

So, have fun! I cannot imagine anyone is going to deny you a position because you had colorful braces! If they did, there is something seriously wrong with that company and you don't want to be there anyway...

I am now taking my own advice... I have ceramic upper and lowers and for the first time I have gone from opaque to blue ligatures! Of course, on the bottom only... I have two kids in braces, so I am trying to have a little fun with them. I may even shake things up and go full color before I am done!

Erik

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

If you are worried about it, you can still have fun with the colors while staying more conservative. Going with either the darker colors (dark purple, dark blue, etc), or light colors (light pink, light blue, etc) and skipping the really bright colors (grass green, for example). Those dark and light colors hardly show from a distance of a few feet, and most people probably won't notice them. Also, solid colors rather than alternating would be a more tame look.

So, you can always start out more conservative and see how you feel about it, then go from there.

And of course, if you know that you have a big meeting coming up, you can plan accordingly. I considered alternating my colors this last time, but I'm going to a big professional association annual meeting, so I decided to go solid pink on top and red on the bottom. I've still got some color, but you can't really see the pink from a few feet away, and the red doesn't show much unless I really smile huge.

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

I work in the IT dept as a technician for a college. I wear jeans everyday and currently sweaters and such. I currently am sporting red and pink ligs. Noone really notices and if they do they dont say hey your teeth are pink and red. Professionalism is attitude not dress. I've been at this job for going on two years, but even if i was new here it wouldn't change my mind about coloring my teeth. You only have braces in some cases once.Live it up.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

jazzbone42

#7 Post by jazzbone42 »

I went with purple & fuchsia...everybody at the office has liked it, my boss chuckled and said "remember our company is big into diversity :)". I told my Mom on the phone and she seemed a little freaked out, but whatever. :-D

gramsinbraces

#8 Post by gramsinbraces »

Are there any colors that any of you have been unhappy with, like they have discolored over time? Or any other problems with them? Still trying to figure out my first color to go with. Leaning towards a blue or purple. Thanks :lol:
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

gramsinbraces

#9 Post by gramsinbraces »

Kwiwi,,Thanks :lol: That is the answer I was looking for,,I like to hear personal opinions on actual experiences..Maroon was one of the first colors I thought I liked then purple and blues. I suppose it will depend on what my office carries for colors to. Not sure if they are all standard or not. Thanks again, still on count down.
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

KatK

#10 Post by KatK »

Hello! I am a also a software developer. One of our directors has braces... he definitely does the color thing... i don't think it matters! :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!