Wife getting braces and considering myself

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

faceman1

Wife getting braces and considering myself

#1 Post by faceman1 »

Hi,

My wife is currently going through the process of getting braces. She has had her consultation and had all her x-rays and molds completed. She has her next scheduled appoint to go through all the particulars and then she'll be getting them.

My question is to any guys out there...have any of you gotten braces after or during the time your wife had their's and if so, how did you handle telling your wife. I have some minor crowding on my bottoms and currently where a splint at night to help with grinding/jaw pain. As much as I would like to get braces to correct my crowding and hopefully the jaw pain as well, I am hesitant to see the same ortho as my wife right now so that my wife can kinda be "the one" going through it rather than me. I know she would support me as she obviously knows I have some issues but i do not want to take away from her the positive steps she is taking and have not expressed the desire to pursue additional advise on my current issues.

Any advise as to how to handle this...not sure if anyone has experienced this scenerio or if it sounds a bit out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Faceman1

ssfw

#2 Post by ssfw »

If you like your wife's orthodontist, then don't hesitate to see him/her for a consultation. If the orthodontist is anything like mine, he treats each patient as an individual and has time for everyone. When my ortho is seeing a patient, his full attention is on that patient and is never too busy to answer my questions - he is the greatest! There are several younger patients that have siblings going through ortho treatment and they all seem happy. I think if you do choose to go through ortho treatment with your wife's orthodontist, keep in mind that you are going through a similar but different process and it will probably be a fun thing to go through together.

Now, if you don't really care for your wife's orthodontist, then I would suggest you go for multiple consultations until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

NotBob1

#3 Post by NotBob1 »

Maybe do yours after she is done?

I have a bit of the reverse. I have braces (Male) and my wife will be doing it after me.
Pat
Class III tendency, crossbite 10-23
Maxillary horizontal & 2mm deficiency for upper teeth
GAC In-Ovation R, metal. Now with upper & lower Hawleys 24 hrs.

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I would like my boyfriend to fix his lower crowding. But he is totally against braces. After my three days in braces, I would not anymore recommend him to take them. It is just a pain in the ass. He has a very good bite, so there is no urgent need to have them.

Brandyleigh35

#5 Post by Brandyleigh35 »

Please! wearing braces is not fun, or glamourous. Are you saying that your wife likes to be the center of attention and you don't want to rain on her parade? Honestly I think it would be kindof cool to have braces together. You two would have someone who could relate with the pain, and understand the whole journey in and of itself. Plus you would both be transforming, so it might make possible insecurities about braces themself seem less of a big deal given that you are both changing at the same time.

I have braces and my 14 year old son has them. We were both braced within 3 days apart. It has been great. Just having someone who is going through it with me makes things a lot less stressful. Plus its cool to see the progress together. It has sorta bonded us in a different way. I have to undergo jaw surgery which he does not, but just having someone who can relate to that achey feeling you get after an adjustment has really made a difference. My dh had braces for 5 years so he is very sympathetic, but I'm sure he gets totally sick of listening to me complain about my teeth. If you both were in braces you both could complain or whine together. I think you should just talk with your wife about it and say that her choice to make a change has made you want to do something to improve your teeth also.

As for going to the same ortho. OMG I highly recommend it. Our ortho has done both of my kids and my teeth as well. I love him! He is a great guy and honestly he never talks to me about my sons teeth unless I ask specifically how we are progressing. He is very professional, and personable, and even though my son an I have our adjustments the same day it is never uncomfortable. I think you should do it!

Brandy

tommyfive

#6 Post by tommyfive »

my wife and I will be using the same ortho for our treatment - she goes in tomorrow to have brackets on her top arch, I go in March. I would probably have not gone to the first consult if she had not been having her own work done.

We're looking forward to going through it together although it does seem a little weird that it's all happning at the same time. If we don't do it now, the kids will take the spotlight and we'll both have to wait until the money's there again (or work much harder to set it aside for ourselves).

I had several consults with the same basic diagnosis and initial treatment plan, and decided to go with my wife's ortho because of fantastic recommendations from past patients and my dentist. He was also the most straightforward about what I need to do vs. what I want to do. Plus his office offered a family discount and flexible financing based on the two of us having our treatment at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it. your treatment is yours. that it happens to be going on at the same time as your wife's? i think it's a non-issue, and could make it more fun to go through it together.
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

JoviFan

#7 Post by JoviFan »

I think if would be great if you guys got treated at the same time!! Misery loves company, so they say!!! You could compare the different tooth feelings, diet, etc.....I mentioned to hubby yesterday b4 my brace appt, but he's happy with is teeth, only has a small gap between the 2 front ones.... so, that's why I'm here reading , learning and sharing my story with you guys!!!
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Way Too Old For This

#8 Post by Way Too Old For This »

My 27 year old daughter and I both have braces and both go to the same orthodontist. I think its great. Except for right after adjutments when her teeth are sore, she doesn't give much thought to having braces. Her attitude has helped me focus less on my braces.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

whatisname

#9 Post by whatisname »

My wife and I had them at the same time. Before she even had them put on, (but after she announced she was getting them) I signed up too, because I decided that I wanted nice straight teeth as well (and had always wanted them--it was my fourth consultation over many years--the first being while in law school in the late seventies--but I chickened out then). She got hers in January; I had mine on in May. She wasn't particularly supportive of me though because she had more problems-- a missing tooth, shifting teeth and she had to get an implant after braces. My issues could be said to be more purely cosmetic and she thought she therefore had the moral high-ground. I thought it was a little odd to discuss moral issues and braces at the same time (unless you're spending for braces at the expense of some important family obligation--which definitely was not the case).
We didn't go to the same ortho. She occassionally talked about her braces but didn't want to hear about mine; hers were so much more necessary! Doesn't matter--I'm glad I finally did it.

Lisa65

#10 Post by Lisa65 »

If you want it done and can afford it, then why not get them done together? You might be able to get a discount, plus you will be able to support and encourage each other throughout the treatment.

FWIW my hubby has lovely upper teeth and a perfect class I bite, he just has some minor crowding on the lowers. But when I slyly mentioned braces to him the answer was "no way" :lol:

I think if you want/need the treatment then getting it done at the same time as your wife would be a great idea.

Gennel

#11 Post by Gennel »

Talk it over with your wife. If you feel that you could improve your teeth then go for it.
You know what? My stepson has never mentioned any issues with his teeth and he has a great smile. After my daughter and I have been in braces for 7months+ . He mentioned the other day that he felt that he might want invisilign because his canine is slowly started to shift because his wisdom teeth are coming out now.
If you like the ortho ,this might be something you both can go through together. My daughter and I have been getting adjustments at the same time together so we are usually sore together.

Gennel

acd

#12 Post by acd »

My son got braces about a year ago and the idea had always been in the back of my head. After seeing his progress after a month or so I mentioned to my wife that I wished my teeth were as straight as my son's were becoming. She looked at me like I was crazy and I showed her my crowded teeth. At that point she said she said she had never noticed them before and said she'd make an appointment with my son's orthodontist if I really wanted her to. He confirmed what I already knew and here I am three months into treatment. At first she wasn't happy that I was spending so much money but has generally been supportive and I've seen a lot of progress in three months. She had braces as a teenager and still has an amazing smile twenty years later. My son really encouraged me to go through with this. If you think they could help go ahead and make an appointment. I'm getting a discount because of my son.