Anyone getting Veneers or Bonding after braces ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bluerain

Anyone getting Veneers or Bonding after braces ?

#1 Post by Bluerain »

Hi everyone ..I hope everyone's treatment is moving along nicely :)

As for me yes they are moving and getting straighter but I'm not happy.

I'm 49 now and had braces for 2 years now and my bottom 4 teeth are all chipped and so are the top 4 teeth due to having crooked teeth over the years.. They are also yellow (Genetics )..not real bad but the color is even more obvious cause I'm so light skin.Cleanings really don't help much and stopping the coffee n smoking hasn't really made much of a difference ( It's Genetics )

I always took care of my teeth n gums cause I knew one day I would get braces which I have as u know. The reality is we can only do so much with what we been given.

So..I been thinking of getting veneers for the top 8 and bottom 8 when treatment is done as all these teeth show when i smile which is rare. My smile is a smirk which hides my teeth.

The thing is it will be years before i can get veneers as i will have to save for several years :(

Another option is getting them all bonded white which is way cheaper but worried they will look weird under certain lighting. You ever notice people's teeth who have caps stand out under certain lighting ..they look kind of blackish . I ws wondering if that happens with bonding where your teeth take on a ugly color when under certain lighting..anyone know about this ?

So is anyone here thinking of getting veneers or bonding after treament?

I have to do something ..

Thanks to all ")

Blue
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

tommyfive

#2 Post by tommyfive »

the primary reason i'm getting my teeth straightened is in prep for veneers i intend to get down the road, so they will not enhance how crooked (not very but enough) my teeth are.

I have a few other issues to correct along with that, and for no single reason of the list would I have chosen to wear braces, but considering all of them together it made sense.

After the active phase is over and I'm in a retainer basically as long as they don't look too horrible the veneers can wait until the cash is available again. the retainer will keep them in line in the meantime and the retainer can be adjusted after the veneers are on.
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

ghostmyimag3

#3 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yes, i will have a veneer on the tooth beside one of my front teeth because its way smaller than the other one on the other side. I've already had one bonded which was a tooth he felt needed it for stability. I also have to get a crown on a tooth that i had filled years ago to hide the silver and to protect it from ever breaking off the tooth. But that will be within the 6 months after braces or whenever he decides its time.
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

lilsisbet

#4 Post by lilsisbet »

I too will be getting veneers when I am done (I hope only 3-4 months more - can't wait). What started this whole process was me wanting to get my teeth whitened. Then I realized I still would not have been happy because my teeth would still be crooked. So... after braces, I will get my teeth professionally whitened. Then as a minimum, I will get my peg lateral veneered to look like the tooth it should have been. I have been told by my Ortho and Dentist, that the best thing to do is get the 4 top front teeth veneered for the best look. I haven't decided yet, but am leaning towards that. Heck... I spent $5,400.00 on braces, what is another $4,000.00 for that perfect smile :lol:
Elizabeth
Braces on March 15, 2005
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months. Official debanding date - June 14, 2007 - Total of 27 months!

Rickysa

#5 Post by Rickysa »

Hi Blue,

A couple of comments,

1. Bleaching can do wonders for intrinsic staining...the middle (around the nerve) of everybodys teeth is yellow, it is the dentin of the tooth. Depending on how translucent each idividuals enamel is, which varies widely among individuals, some of the yellow color can show through. Don't worry about coffee etc, as that can only stain extrinsically (outside of the tooth) if you have plaque/tartar/pellicle on the surface of the tooth. If you get the "essex" type retainers, use them as a "bleaching tray"

2. Adults that have braces will often have teeth that have wear patterns on them due to their crowded position, and will not look "straight" after they are aligned....sometimes they can be reshaped, but often require a cosmetic dental procedure...I would recommend veneers over bonding for this.

For patients that have small "peg" lateral incisors, bonding is a good option, as the tooth doesn't need to be prepped (ground down any)...simply adding resin to build-up the tooth.

Good Luck!!

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

ghostmyimag3

#6 Post by ghostmyimag3 »

Yeah i had some wear patterns especially on my front two teeth. but he just shaped them up well what he called stripping, but they are much much better than they were they actually fit together nicely. I'm very happy although it was uncomfortable!
Metal braces on Uppers and lowers-November 8, 2006

SimInsomniac

#7 Post by SimInsomniac »

I might ask for some bonding on one of my upper laterals. It's smaller than the other and ideally, I'd like them to look the same so my teeth are more symmetrical.

Sim
Damon 3 braces for 22.5 months.
30th August 2005 - 13th July 2007

Bluerain

#8 Post by Bluerain »

First off I want to say thanks to everyone who responded ..THANKS !!!

Hi Dr. S

Yes I had bleachng done twice (Home Kit)in the past before braces and they were pretty nice for 2 weeks or so and i was tanned so they looked whiter but once they were fully hydrated they went back to that not nice color. Plus without a tan they look horrible and at my age I'm trying to avoid the sun. LOL It's always something..LOL

My teeth are very translucent and have diffrent tones of yellow . I know the chips can be taken care of at the end of treatment it's the color that really bothers me .

I will ask for the essex retainers when all is said and done and try the bleaching again by a professional to see if that makes a diffrence.

If anything I will get Lumineers as I hear they don't have to shave that teeth as much as regular veneers.

Dr. S ..is it not wise to get all the anterior teeth bonded so they look whiter or should I get veneers ?

Thanks for your wonderful reply DR.S :)

Blue

Rickysa wrote:Hi Blue,

A couple of comments,

1. Bleaching can do wonders for intrinsic staining...the middle (around the nerve) of everybodys teeth is yellow, it is the dentin of the tooth. Depending on how translucent each idividuals enamel is, which varies widely among individuals, some of the yellow color can show through. Don't worry about coffee etc, as that can only stain extrinsically (outside of the tooth) if you have plaque/tartar/pellicle on the surface of the tooth. If you get the "essex" type retainers, use them as a "bleaching tray"

2. Adults that have braces will often have teeth that have wear patterns on them due to their crowded position, and will not look "straight" after they are aligned....sometimes they can be reshaped, but often require a cosmetic dental procedure...I would recommend veneers over bonding for this.

For patients that have small "peg" lateral incisors, bonding is a good option, as the tooth doesn't need to be prepped (ground down any)...simply adding resin to build-up the tooth.

Good Luck!!

Dr. S
Brace's -In-Ovations
Top Wired 2-1-05 / Bottom 10-9-06
Implants being used as anchor's where the wisdom teeth use to be.

looloog

#9 Post by looloog »

I am going to have an implant in my upper left front tooth after my braces are off. I have too been wondering about the color of my teeth and how they will match the new crown.
I assume that I can have bleaching/whitening treatment done to get my teeth a little brighter before the permanent crown.
Also, here a question, how much tooth shaving can be done to reshape teeth and make them all one even line? I only have top braces so I need some shaping on my bottom set to make them look nicer .....can that be done???
thanks!

Tin Indian

#10 Post by Tin Indian »

Count me in with that group. Ortho told me at the beginning of my treatment that my lateral incisors on top were to have veneers toward the end of treatment because they were diminuative and he didn't want my front teeth to have a "chicklet" effect. I am okay with that since it was discused during my first consultation with him.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

acd

#11 Post by acd »

My previously hidden upper lateral will probably require something as well as the lower that it used to bang into quite frequently. The way I look at it is its kind of like finally painting a dull room in your house. Once you paint it now the old carpet looks bad. After replacing the carpet now the furniture looks bad and so on. I'll cross that path when my braces come off in 18+ months.

rsprouse

#12 Post by rsprouse »

I will ask for the essex retainers when all is said and done and try the bleaching again by a professional to see if that makes a diffrence.
Home bleaching IMHO is by far the best way to whiten teeth. In office is great to get a quick start on lightening your teeth. It gives you a quick boost, but like anything they will "darken" over time. That is where at home trays work well. You whiten as often as you like (within reason) until you get to the shade at which you like. Then you maintain by whitening every couple weeks. Depending on how well your essex fits you may want to have dedicated whitening trays made. Proper and consistent whitening needs a very well fitting tray that seals out saliva so it does not dilute the whitening material. They also work better when there is a dedicated reservoir for whitening material. Your retainer serves a different purpose in "retaining" your tooth position. It will work for whitening, but it will likely not be the ideal solution. Will it be good enough? Most likely, but it may not be the best.
If anything I will get Lumineers as I hear they don't have to shave that teeth as much as regular veneers.
Have a look at some cases before you decide on Lumineers. I have only seen a couple cases (other than Cerinate sponsored marketing material) that do not look like Chiclets or bricks on the teeth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but traditional veneers with reduction of tooth structure is usually better for a natural and aesthetic result.
Dr. S ..is it not wise to get all the anterior teeth bonded so they look whiter or should I get veneers ?
That is up to you. Composite veneers are a cheap way to potentially solve your problem. If you are reshaping the teeth, then it can be a good choice, unless your occlusion will result in interferences and the likelihood of knocking off the composite. If you are trying to change the color, then realize that you need a certain thickness of material to mask the colors below. This is why reduction of tooth structure is the usual way to go so teeth do not look too bulky. Talk to your friendly Dentist and get all the facts. For example, if a patient is interested in cosmetic bonding, I will often times do a "mock up" on their natural teeth (no drilling, incomplete bonding) so that they can get an idea of what the result will be. For more drastic procedures you can always have your Dentist do a wax up so you have a good idea of what to expect.

Good Luck,
Rory

Lillers

#13 Post by Lillers »

Wow, I'm very glad this topic came up and will be following it closely.

With any luck (knocking on wood!), my braces will come off this summer, and then I'd like to address some cosmetic issues. I've done loads of research and I think the likely course of action will be:

• bleach teeth
• replace old crown to match newly whitened teeth
• replace a small filling on middle upper tooth
• build up my worn little mandibular lateral incisors
• hopefully shape teeth as needed, w/o resorting to veneers

I have to say, I'm loath to shave away a healthy tooth to have a veneer put on it, but I've found a highly regarded cosmetic dentist and will follow his advice. I'd really just like to achieve the nicest smile possible w/o veneers, though.
Braced March 2005 (lower); November 2005 (upper); all ceramic. Goal = correcting overbite.

Lower jaw surgery was successfully performed December 18, 2006.

florencegal

#14 Post by florencegal »

At my first consultation with the ortho he mentioned the possibility of getting my upper left lateral incisor bonded after treatment because it's a lot smaller than the others. He said I can decide for certain later on but I guess I'll go for it, after all what's the point in doing something 95%? May as well get everything as perfect as it can be!

Great to hear your opinion DrS that you think bonding is good for this. And I've got to thinking with everyone else's posts here: how common are these pesky small lateral incisors? There seem to be a fair few of them around! Is there any reason for this? Why the lateral incisors and not other teeth? And how long does this type of bonding last? (approximately)

x

Kat

#15 Post by Kat »

I will be in need of some work after the braces to come off to "finish" the look.
CHA-CHING!!!!!