Poll: Who has been in braces before and is in braces again

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twe10

Poll: Who has been in braces before and is in braces again

#1 Post by twe10 »

I had braces once before and just got them on again yesterday-

I was curious to know how many folks have had them before and what caused them to revert back to getting them again.

Here is mine:

Braced 1st time - 1990s - 2 years or so (age: 14-16)
**Edited** - forgot that I had a fiberotomy at the conclusion of my treatment (to reduce movement from occurring again)
Braced 2nd time - starting 1-29-2007 (18-24 month time frame) (age: 32-34)

I didn't wear my retainer AT ALL the first time- I thought I was smarter than my teeth - I lost. Won't be making that mistake again.

I think straight teeth these days are like high school diplomas (everybody has them) - so I figured that I would get them again to improve my appearance and help keep my teeth healthier longer.

Let's hear from the rest of you who are in the second round of being braced.

Twe10
Ohio
Last edited by twe10 on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bracesat35

#2 Post by bracesat35 »

Me too!

Braced 1st time - 1980s - 2 1/2 yrs or so (age: 13-15 I think). 4 extractions, headgear, the works!
Braced 2nd time - starting 1-29-2007 (est 6 month time frame) (age: 35-36)

When I was given my retainer I was told to wear it for something like 6 months full time, then nights for 6 more months. I think. I don't remember it very well. But I ended up losing it after only 3-4 months or so and didn't bother replacing it. It wasn't too long before I realized that my two front teeth were pushing out in front. Turns out I'm a tongue thruster, which doens't help. The two front teeth are also longer than the others, which gives me more of the bunny rabbit look. This will be corrected with this second round of braces. And of course there will be no issues with noncompliance with the retainer this time!

The thing my ortho doesn't know is whether or not my correction will stay even with 100% retainer compliance. I want him to put a fixed retainer on the top teeth so that I'll never have to deal with this again, but apparently that causes bite issues. But I guess if they drop down again I can just have them filed down. I am just so tired of the bunny rabbit toothed look - ha ha!!

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm a first timer :)

SDFD TSchott

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

ellebee

#4 Post by ellebee »

Second time for me, and about 30 years later, eek.

Had the old technology back then in the dark ages. Bands around every tooth. Top and botton arches done separately. No retainers, believe it or not.

I don't think a proper job was done at all the first time and then my teeth reverted. They weren't so bad, so I just lived with them.

Decided to go for it again when my daughter got them, but waited a few more years just because I just wasn't damn old enough.

Now I am.

Hoping the time flies by,

Elle
Spacers, Nov. 1; Braced Nov. 8, 2006; Braces off March 26, 2008, just short of 17 months. Glad it's over but the jury is still out on whether the game was worth the candle.

Victoria

#5 Post by Victoria »

I had braces from the age of 12 to 14, (metall with headgear).
Now, at 26, I have chose to do it again, estimated time 24 months....

I hated it the first time around, so I chose to get linguals on the uppers. I will have ceramics on lowers about halfway into the treatment. But I love it now :D I am seeing progress, and I am so happy I finally decided to do something about my teeth which I have not liked for the last 8 or so years...

It is good to know that I am not the only one who has been braced before and who is doing it again :D