pull teeth/root canal ?'s

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Topazs80

pull teeth/root canal ?'s

#1 Post by Topazs80 »

Ok, first off, I went to ortho a while ago and was suppose to get braces in Nov but I wrecked the car!!! So that's not happening yet. But I have a couple questions that I'd love to hear some thoughts about. The consult was basic, no x-rays or anything, but he told me I had a bi-maxillary protrusion and I need four teeth pulled. I've dug around the internet and have found some info, but nothing all that specific. I have four root canals(and have problems with cavaties). Three on the bottom(2 #5's and 1 #6) and one on the top(#6). I seriously want as many root canals pulled as possible. I'm afraid though, from what I've read on the net, that they would want to pull my #4's. Technically, 3 root canals could be pulled, 2 #5's on the bottom and one #6 on the top. I know that the bone structure has to be right in order for a tooth to be moved into another spot, right? So that will partly determine which teeth they pull. But let's say there are no problems with a tooth not being able to be moved in a certain place. With that said, would it be reasonable to ask/demand certain teeth be pulled so long as a good reslult could be achieved? I don't care if it takes longer or a certain appliance must be used, ect...I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the root canals pulled. Healthy teeth in my mouth are rare and all my #4's are in good shape. My next question is, does a root canal effect anchorage? Would a tooth that had a root canal performed be more anchored or less anchored? It seems like it would be less. I have some older pictures I can post if someone wanted to see what things looked like. Thanks for the help.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I can't answer your question about asking/demanding that certain teeth be pulled.

I had a root canal/crown done on one of my upper second molars (one before the wisdom tooth - can't remember the number) 7 years ago. It's been on the wire for a year now with no problems.

Perhaps you might want to get a few more opinions.

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I have heard that it is possible pull 5's instead of 4's.

tommyfive

#4 Post by tommyfive »

i've got a root canaled lat incisor which i refuse to let them pull out (they haven't suggested it either), even though it's gone completely grey. it's one of the teeth they're straightening, so I have to think you'll be okay. after my braces are off, it'll be veneered with the rest of my upper incisors and noone will ever know it's a dead tooth (unless i let my gums recede too much). it's been dead in my head for 22 years since the root canal, no problems (since the root canal).

i'd say let them know your concern and see what they say, but IMHO as long as the tooth is structurally sound, you're better off keeping as many as you can for as long as you can, root canaled or not.

[added later on] but given the choice, with an unhealthy tooth next to a healthy one, if one has to go, I totally see your point.
Last edited by tommyfive on Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-tommy
top arch braced 3/21/07
new wire on top 4/19
bottom arch braced 4/19
buccal tube lost on 5/4, replaced on 5/5
new bottom wire on 6/26 (I think)
top & bottom chains (round 1) installed on 7/24 (ouch)

cowlypso

#5 Post by cowlypso »

They definitely take all sorts of things into consideration, including the condition of the teeth.

I got four premolars pulled. My bite in general was okay on the right side, but off a bit on the left. It conveniently worked out that the way the bite was off also happened to agree with the tooth I had a root canal in. So I got my first premolars pulled from 3 quadrants, then in that fourth quadrant, where the teeth were a bit too far one way or the other of the corresponding arch, they pulled the second premolar with the root canal.

It's certainly a thing that they look at. They don't want you to have braces and get your teeth perfect, then lose them.

rsprouse

Re: pull teeth/root canal ?'s

#6 Post by rsprouse »

Ok, first off, I went to ortho a while ago and was suppose to get braces in Nov but I wrecked the car!!! So that's not happening yet. But I have a couple questions that I'd love to hear some thoughts about. The consult was basic, no x-rays or anything, but he told me I had a bi-maxillary protrusion and I need four teeth pulled. I've dug around the internet and have found some info, but nothing all that specific. I have four root canals(and have problems with cavaties). Three on the bottom(2 #5's and 1 #6) and one on the top(#6). I seriously want as many root canals pulled as possible. I'm afraid though, from what I've read on the net, that they would want to pull my #4's. Technically, 3 root canals could be pulled, 2 #5's on the bottom and one #6 on the top. I know that the bone structure has to be right in order for a tooth to be moved into another spot, right? So that will partly determine which teeth they pull. But let's say there are no problems with a tooth not being able to be moved in a certain place. With that said, would it be reasonable to ask/demand certain teeth be pulled so long as a good reslult could be achieved? I don't care if it takes longer or a certain appliance must be used, ect...I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the root canals pulled. Healthy teeth in my mouth are rare and all my #4's are in good shape. My next question is, does a root canal effect anchorage? Would a tooth that had a root canal performed be more anchored or less anchored? It seems like it would be less. I have some older pictures I can post if someone wanted to see what things looked like. Thanks for the help.
Assuming your molars that are RCT'd are healthy and properly treated I highly suggest you don't think about extracting them. No clinician will extract a molar for space when you can extract a premolar (always variables...but generally true). Each tooth in the mouth is designed to do a different job. Molars are for crushing and grinding and do the bulk of normal chewing and heavy function. They also function to support your VDO (vertical dimension of occlusion). Without it you will have all sorts of dental problems with the worst being a collapsed bite and extra stress on other teeth causing potential fracture or spacing and bone loss.

Regarding your concern about leaving "good natural teeth and extracting bad RCT's teeth" you are correct. When a tooth has root canal therapy it does weaken the tooth. But, a proper full coverage restoration on posterior teeth (crown's) will protect the tooth and minimize any potential problems. The reason we do RCT is to salvage the tooth so that you can get many years of good service out of it. There is no substitution for natural tooth, it is precious and I personally recommend to my patients that they do what they can to save and preserve natural tooth structure. As always this is an idealization and the real world is much different since I am not familiar with your case. Discuss your concerns with your clinician and they will work with you. You are the customer and it is their job to do what is best for you while trying to help you meet your goals with as few compromises as possible.

Good Luck,
Rory