EMERGENCY!! EMERGENCY!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hd2755

EMERGENCY!! EMERGENCY!!

#1 Post by hd2755 »

TO ALL HERE!!

I WAS ABRUPTLY AWAKENED LAST NIGHT ABOUT 3:18 A.M. WITH THIS LOUD "CRACK" "POP" AND "TWANG". MY COMPLETE TOP ARCH HAS CAME OFF 1 MONTH AND 2 DAYS INTO TREATMENT I ALMOST SWALLOWED THE WHOLE THING. I DO HAVE MY APPT ON THE 13TH TODAY IS THE FIFTH OF FEB. SHOULD I JUST WAIT TILL THE APPT OR WILL I BE OK OR SHOULD I GO RIGHT IN AND GET EVERYTHING RESET. I AM BALLING MY EYES OFF HERE EEKS!!!! WHAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THIS???? HELP?

LOUIS

Lisa65

#2 Post by Lisa65 »

Maybe a bad batch of glue? I'm not sure what would cause everything to pop off at once like that.
But no, don't leave it till the 18th. give your ortho a call and explain what's happened, and hopefully he can fit you in to have the arch rebonded.

Good luck!

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I'll call that a emergency that deserves being seen ASAP.

Sure blows away my normal loose bracket.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

manglemouth

#4 Post by manglemouth »

WOW Louis, I would say definitely call and get that fixed right away! There is no reason why you should have to wait until your next appointment and possibly undo all the progress your upper teeth have made so far!

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

I haven't heard of anything so major like that happening before. Just wondering.....are you getting your braces done by an experienced orthodontist who understands the correct procedures for proper bonding? Did your ortho use a spam spam light to bond the brackets?

Anyway, I agree that you should go in immediately.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Rickysa

#6 Post by Rickysa »

That is definitely a new one to me..... :shock:

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)

hd2755

#7 Post by hd2755 »

UPDATE:
CALLED ORTHO AND HIS ASSISTANT SAID THIS:
1. DID I HAVE A FLORIDE TREATMENT AS THIS WOULD NOT MAKE BRACKETS STICK? ANSWER: MY LAST CLEANING WAS THREE MONTHS AGO AND DID NOT REMEMBER GETTING A FLORIDE TREATMENT. A SIDE NOTE: CITIES AND WATER BOTTLERS ADD FLORIDE TO THE WATER SUPPLY BEFORE IT IS DELIVERED TO YOU. 2. ALL TOOTHPASTES HAVE FLORIDE IN IT DONT THEY. 3. WHY WOULD FLORIDE HAVE TO DO WITH ADHESION ANYWAYS USUALLY GLUE WILL STICK TO ANYTHING RIGHT? MY BRIDGE HAS BEEN GLUED IN PLACE SINCE 1996 SO I THINK THAT MAYBE ORTHODONTISTS SHOULD USE THE SAME GLUE AS ORAL SURGEONS USE FOR BRIDGES AS TO NOT HAVE BRACKETS FALL OFF WHEN TREATMENT IS DONE BRING OUT THE DREMEL. WELL ALSO ORTHO SAID IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE CONDITIONS IN THE OFFICE THE DAY OF BRACKETING IT WAS A BIT MOIST IN THERE SINCE THEY HAVE A DRIECT HUMIDIFIER IN THE OFFICE. I ALSO SAID THE BRACKETING PERSON SAID THAT THE GLUE KEPT HARDENING BEFORE THE FULL SET OF BRACKETS WERE APPLIED SHE HAD TO GO BACK TO THE GLUE MACHINE FOUR TIMES TOTAL LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID MY OPINION IS BAD BATCH OF GLUE. TO LYN THEY USED A spam spam LIGHT TO CURE THEM IT WAS LIKE A PEN STYLE DEVISE THAT GAVE OUT A BLUE LIGHT. AND GOT A BIT WARM IN MY MOUTH. AND THEY SAID IT WOULD BE OK TO WAIT THEY WILL GET IT RIGHT (AS I DO HOPE SO) ON THE 13TH.. SO AS OF NOW I AM WITHOUT BRACES ON THE TOP AND HAVE THEM ON THE BOTTOM ONLY. WILL GIVE A BACKGROUND ON MY BRACES THEY ARE THE THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR THIS IS SPAM PLEASE REPORT TO ADMINISTRATOR BRAND TYPE BANDLESS THAT IS TO BE PAITENT FRIENDLY AND THEY AND ACTUALLY WAIT A MINUTE BACK THIS FLORIDE TRAIN UP A MINUTE THE BROCHURE DID SAY THE GLUE USED HAS FLORIDE IN IT AS WELL!!!! GEEZ 2+2=5 RIGHT NOPE IT IS (4). WILL HAVE A LONG TALK WITH ORTHO WHEN I GET DOWN THERE. AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE IT WAS A CRACK POP AND TWANG IN THAT ORDER WHICH WOKE ME FROM A DEEP SLEEP AND I ALMOST SWALLOWED THEM BEFORE I BIT THEM AND REALLY BENT THE WIRE. THEY WILL REPLACE THEM FOR ME I HOPE!!

MORE AT 11 AS THINGS DEVELOP..
LOUIS

manglemouth

#8 Post by manglemouth »

I would not be happy if I would have to be without upper braces until my next appointment, you'd think they could squeeze you in for that :shock: But I hope when you do get them back on again, they will do everything just right and after that your treatment is smooth sailing!

Good luck Louis!

iBorg

#9 Post by iBorg »

My ortho gave me a bottle of flouride rinse when I got my spacers. It s strongly suggestted that I do it every night. I'm on my third or fourth bottle. Oh and about my twentyfith toothbrush.

:lol:

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

~ Rach ~

#10 Post by ~ Rach ~ »

How bizzarre!

If i were you I'd be ensuring with your ortho that seeing the issue occurred through no fault of your own, that your plan isnt delayed any by it.

I have recurring dreams that my brackets all come away from my teeth... and so early in the peice with you not entirely comfortable with them anyway, what a fright it must have given you!

:?

dawnm

#11 Post by dawnm »

Wow -- losing one of my turbos really pales in comparison!

I'm kind of surprised that they are having you wait until the 13th. I don't think I'd be happy with that answer.

joney

#12 Post by joney »

Meryaten, you're not hallucinating, I remember seeing somebody posting here who had their brace fall completely off, they posted a picture, it looked like a modern art string of pearls!

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

hd2755

#13 Post by hd2755 »

update:
the 13th is my option as i really cannot afford to take a day off when i am taking 7 off starting on the 13th (going to germany) for a week. actually 1 day in chicago 1 day in amsterdan netherlands, 2 days in frankfurt germany, 1 day back in amsterdan, and 1 day in chicago on the return. I am truly not happy with this, but I will give the ortho a little benefit of the doubt here, things happen, mistakes happen and yes i do know that 4750 is on the line here but my career is also riding here as well so balance them all out and i guess waiting till the 13th is not a bad thing or a good thing, they could have gotten me in the next day but again work and me with 7-8 days off taking one for this would be career suicide. medically i can forgive this one but if it happens again I will demand a full refund and removal of the appliances. this could have been worse if i was not awakened by the sounds i could have faced emergency stomach surgery or lung surgery depending which hole it went down my throat. id say i was lucky on this one. why could it be my fault to begin with i was sleeping, not eating, and further more i do not eat anything harder than mashed potatoes or a coffee soaked wheat toast. thank you all for your concern and advise so far thank you! sorry for the capital letters just wanted to get the sense of urgency.

louis