expander...questions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

starfish3967

expander...questions?

#1 Post by starfish3967 »

i am back. well i am trying to gather as much information about expanders as possible so i am prepared because i am still a little nervous :? i have a couple questions...

--i was looking at pictures an noticed there were many kind of expanders. all my ortho said was a "palate expander". Is this a certain kind or all they all called that? If so...what is the difference?

--second i was wondering how/what could help me improve my speech faster.

thanks for the help.

rsprouse

Re: expander...questions?

#2 Post by rsprouse »

--i was looking at pictures an noticed there were many kind of expanders. all my ortho said was a "palate expander". Is this a certain kind or all they all called that? If so...what is the difference?
This is a generic name for a device used to expand your maxilla. In simple terms it will put outward pressure on your palate expanding the arch. This is a very simple explanation, but you get the gist....

There are may different looks, think of it like putting tires on your car. Are you installing Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Kumho, etc. Are you installing all season, high performance, snow tires....
--second i was wondering how/what could help me improve my speech faster.
Practice makes perfect....Unlimited nights and weekends will be a nice bonus for your cell plan or unlimited mobile to mobile :D

Best,
Rory

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

There are quite a few types of palate expanders. Some require turning of screws; some have constant, "active" pressure; some are fixed/banded and others are removable. Don't hesitate to ask your ortho which kind you are getting, how it works and what it might involve.

As for talking I don't think any of us who have had expanders ever learned to talk the way we did without them. However, it is possible to adapt and learn to speak very well with it. The very best advice I can give is to just do it. Talk as much as you can. Don't be shy about it and don't pass up a chance to practice speaking. If you are dilligent you can get it down in about 2-3 weeks. Singing while alone in the car helped me a lot, too.

Best of luck!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces