New tooth bracketed- pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prettybetty3

New tooth bracketed- pain?

#1 Post by prettybetty3 »

I am due for my 5th adjustment today. I had a tooth hidden behind my cannine that was never bracketed because there was no room. Since then I have been wearing a powerchain and spring to make room. I believe now there is enough space for that tooth to be bracketed and attached to the archwired (at least i hope so!).

For those who have had a similar situation, is it painful? Considering the tooth is way behind the archwire. I would assume the pressure in bringing it foward can cause discomfort as well as it being sensitive to the bracket popping off in the midst of catching up to the level where the other teeth are.

Anyone with a similar situation?

jenfire

#2 Post by jenfire »

I had a lateral on my bottom arch that was hidden behind other teeth. After about 4 months in braces they put in a spring that pushed the teeth apart to make room for the lateral. Space was created quickly and by the next adjustment, I was ready to have that lateral attached. I am not going to sugar-coat the experience: It was probably the most pain I have ever experienced, having that tooth attached to the wire. I'm talking about when they actually put the wire on & a lig around it. I would definitely recommend taking some Aleve or Advil before the appointment. There was a persistent pain as it was moving--but nothing too unbearable (just take some Advil, etc.).

The tooth has moved up to the arch nicely. It was very painful, but I am so much happier now that the tooth is up to the arch. You can see some of my progress pics in my braces story (just click on the www).

Good luck! It will all be worth it--just wait and see.

~jenfire
Ceramic Braces and RPE, estimated treatment 18 months

platinum

#3 Post by platinum »

I got my lower incissor, which was little behind ther rest, attached to the wire from the start. There was not enough space, and the tooth was pressing its way out. It hurt at the beginning quite a lot.I guess it has moved somewhat and it does not hurt too much anymore. I had to take painkillers for three days after bracing, because of my lower incissors.

Good luck!

prettybetty3

#4 Post by prettybetty3 »

Jen, you hit the nail on the head! LOL Yea, it hurt and the throbbing the past 24 hours has been the most uncomfortable part of the treatment thus far...but that tooth coming in line is worth it!

I have ceramic braces but he needed to put one metal on that tooth to apply a wire tire on top of the spring for the next 2 months...its funny bc I have clear braces and ligs...and one patch of my mouth is full of metal! LOL he said when it gets in line hed change it back so its cool...

thanks for all the responces!

joney

#5 Post by joney »

I got my hidden incisor wire tied today, it didn't hurt when it was being tied. I am so happy to think that it might move now towards my arch. Hope it doesn't hurt too much...
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

Mmmmuuaa

#6 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

Good news, is that once attached my moved very quickly. In about a week it was almost perfectly in line with the others.

Bad news, when I walked out of the Ortho's office after the tooth was attached the cold air hit my teeth and instant pain. I've had alot of sensitivity to cold on my front lower teeth since then which has been probably like 2 months now. It seems to be getting better. I use sensidine toothpaste.

Hope you don't have the same experience.