Bite Turbos ... When will eating be normal again?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jmpmntwnty3

Bite Turbos ... When will eating be normal again?

#1 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

Hey everyone! I just looked at my ticker in my signature and noticed that 8 months ago today (June 8, 2006) I got braces put on! Boy does time fly .. it doesn't seem like it's been that long. Anyhow, today I got bite turbos put behind my 2 front teeth, and a powerchain from molar to molar on my top teeth. I haven't experienced any pain from the powerchain (strange), and I haven't really experienced any pain from the bite turbos. But whenever I'm chewing something, the turbos hit my bottom teeth (slightly because I take my time now) and it hurts like heck! I don't feel ANY pain what-so-ever until they SLIGHTLY touch my bottom teeth.

So my question is, when will eating be normal again? I lived through 5 months with an RPE and the only problem I had with that, was food kept getting stuck in the roof of my mouth. But with the bite turbos it's totally different ... this is actual PAIN :?

Also, how long do these things normally stay in?? And when will my slight lisp go away? LOL

THANKS!!
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

dawnm

#2 Post by dawnm »

I have turbos, but I haven't had any actual pain because the turbos are keeping my teeth too far apart to touch! Eating it far from normal because my molars don't touch. I've developed a system for chewing that is pretty ugly to watch! ... and it takes me forever to eat anything! I imagine, though, that if my teeth did come into contact, it would hurt like crazy! I'm super careful when I chew, so it's not even a remote possibility.

My ortho assistant said that the average time for turbos is 8 months. I feel like I'm still lisping (it's been just over a week), but just today one of my coworkers asked me if I had gotten them off because she didn't notice my lisp any more.

jmpmntwnty3

#3 Post by jmpmntwnty3 »

8 months?? Wow! Haha I don't think I can manage 8 months with these things. But hey, if I have to .. I will. I want these braces off A.S.A.P. Anyhow, the pain I feel when my front teeth touch probably has nothing to do with the turbos. I have a new powerchain (molar to molar) on the top and a thicker wire on the bottom, so that's probably where the pain is coming from when my front teeth touch my bottom teeth. Because as time goes on, the pain gets less and less (thank God!)

I ate for the first time since yesterday, and I've semi-figured out a way to chew without having my front teeth touch, but like dawnm said, it takes FOREVER! haha But thanks for your input guys, I really appreciate it! I love being able to come to this board and talking to people who are going through or have gone through the same thing I'm going through :D
June 2006: Upper and Lower braces -- July 2006: RPE installed -- December 2006: RPE removed.
April 2007: 4 wisdom teeth extracted & had Frenum b/t 2 front teeth clipped. Powerchain added.
January 2008: All gaps closed.
March 2010: Began wearing elastics
January 2012: Braces finally off!

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

8 months?? Wow! Haha I don't think I can manage 8 months with these things. But hey, if I have to .. I will. I want these braces off A.S.A.P.
Even though they suck, you will get used to them...
I hated my upper retainer ( does the same work as bite turbos) like nothing on earth. But in two weeks I have gotten used to it.

Eating is so crucial thing, so our mouth will adapt quickly.

Good luck!