Ugh. Spacers.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Nawners

Ugh. Spacers.

#1 Post by Nawners »

They're in now, but I don't want to eat for fear of chewing them out or tearing them in half.
Are they pretty tough or do they fall out/tear/slip easily?
I'm assuming since they were tough to get in, they'll be tough to fall out. Then again, since they were so tough to get in, maybe they aren't in all the way and will fall out easier.
Another annoyance from them. And it's only hour 8. :?
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

manglemouth

#2 Post by manglemouth »

Nawners, I FEEL YOUR PAIN! (Literally :lol: )

I too am afraid to chew down because

1) It hurts way too much right now anyway

2) My ortho is 45 mins away and I don't feel like losing a spacer and driving all the way there for a replacement!

I was thinking the same thing LOL...I thought well they could barely get them in, so no way will those come out without pliers again. However what if they are just on the very top of the teeth (considering they stick out, that seems possible). In that case it wouldn't be hard to pop them right out again.

But the worst is the amount of food that gets stuck in between them, and I don't want to use a really high setting on my waterpik and flush them right out of my teeth! But the normal setting doesn't get it all out.

Thinking positively, but I see why people hate these things! Shall we both try to get our braces on early afterall? :wink:

cowlypso

#3 Post by cowlypso »

Don't worry about losing them. Just go ahead and chew as you normally would, provided that it doesn't hurt too much. They probably won't fall out. And if they do, you just go back in and get it replaced. You aren't going to get in trouble if it falls out.

I ate and brushed and all that stuff and didn't lose any of my 7 for the first week. Then I went in and they took them all out. And yeah, stuff is going to get in there that you can't get out. It's gross. But it happens. :? They'll take care of that when you get them out.

Then I had spacers in the top for another week. I totally forgot they were there and actually flossed in one of those spots one night. Got the floss up in there without thinking, then realized what I had done. So I just pulled the floss out, and amazingly the spacer stayed right where it was supposed to. Those things are really good at staying put. Although I don't actually recommend trying to floss between them...

It's normal for the spacers to stick up above your teeth a little, although it is annoying. It's also normal for it to hurt. You'll feel a lot better when those spacers come out and you get your molar bands. I promise. For now, go for soup, pasta, muffins, oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt.... Just take it easy and chew as much as you are able. And take comfort in the fact that you'll feel better soon. :D

LithpingLitha

#4 Post by LithpingLitha »

Mine stayed put, but they hurt like crazy the first week. :FeelSick:

Nawners

#5 Post by Nawners »

Thanks everyone, that's good to know! They're still annoying, but no pain!! I hope it stays that way...

manglemouth

#6 Post by manglemouth »

Wow Nawners, you are LUCKY. Mine hurt alot yesterday but today it seems to be much better again. I hope they have finished their job of creating the space and now my teeth can start to relax again!

Congrats on this being smooth sailing for you!

Nawners

#7 Post by Nawners »

Still no pain. :dance: Who else never had any pain with their spacers? I've only heard the horror stories.

manglemouth

#8 Post by manglemouth »

Maybe you lucked out because you said you already had some space there? Whatever the reason, that's awesome! My pain was pretty bad the first day after. Yesterday was not so bad anymore, but I still couldn't eat anything hard. Today I am already chewing around on my spacers, to the point where I dug them in between my teeth further and they don't stick out as much anymore :lol: My teeth are still a little sore but it's totally manageable now.

Are you gonna stick with Feb 22nd? I think I will because I already arranged my work schedule so that I could make up some time beforehand and only work a half day that day. I know I'll be way too excited about my braces to think about work when I get home 8)

We're getting there Nawners!!! 11 days!!!

Nawners

#9 Post by Nawners »

Still sticking with the 22nd. I would have let you know otherwise, your my brace-day partner!! :wink:
I'm glad yours are feeling better!

chicklets

#10 Post by chicklets »

I get my spacers on 03/27, and I'm not looking forward to it. My son said that the spacers were worse than getting his braces. How bad could it be. I got through natural childbirth with not even a Tylenol. I can do this, right? :wink:
Palate expander: 10/10/2006 through 03/27/2007
Spacers and brackets: 03/27/2007
Archwire: 04/05/2007
First adjustment: 06/05/2007

dramaqueendaisy

#11 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hi all

I had spacers for about a week at the end of Jan and they were annoying and ached a bit but nothing more. I now have my molar bands on they are annoying too...but I'm getting used to them. Having 4 teeth out soon takes your mind off all that! :shock:

If the spacers are the worst bit (as several peeps have said) getting the braces in March is going to be a breeze...hopefully. Am very excited.

Good luck to everyone at the 'spacers stage' :-1

manglemouth

#12 Post by manglemouth »

I get my spacers on 03/27, and I'm not looking forward to it. My son said that the spacers were worse than getting his braces. How bad could it be. I got through natural childbirth with not even a Tylenol. I can do this, right? :wink:
I would say DEFINITELY!! You will be fine! Yes mine hurt badly the first day but Advil got me through it and today they are nothing more than irritating anymore. You do get used to them!

Nawners

#13 Post by Nawners »

Ok, these spacers suck now. I wish I would have gotten this part done and over with already! I thought I was gonna get off easy! I am having a mild, but irritating ache from my molars up to my sinuses. Just 10 more days to go...

Ives

#14 Post by Ives »

ok nawners, now your scaring me. I go in for spacers in eleven days. Might have to have a few beers before and after !!! :lol:
At least I get mine on a friday so I can relax at home for the weekend.

Nawners

#15 Post by Nawners »

Well, I got mine last Friday, and was great all weekend. I come back to work today and they start bugging me. :-+ .
Oh, but have the beers anyway...heh
But to be quite honest, if this is the worst part of all, braces will be CAKE!!! :thumbsup: