Second thoughts after reading another post??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TLB in Minneapolis

Second thoughts after reading another post??

#1 Post by TLB in Minneapolis »

I am getting close to getting braces. I just read the post(longer face:cry) about braces affecting your face shape-like having a longer, guant looking face. Call me paranoid, but that depresses me and makes me feel like maybe getting braces and spending all that money isn' worth it.

Honestly, I have a narrow, v-shape arch so I can only think braces might fill out my face.

Have most of you seen a change in your face? If so, is it for the better or worse? I can deal with subtle changes but some of the posts make it seem like they don't even recognize themselves anymore. Yikes! :-((

Thanks!

BracedBelle

#2 Post by BracedBelle »

I'm looking forward to some changes in my face! My upper arch is now wider which has made my face slightly more round, and if my bottom jaw can successfully be brought forward then my profile will be much improved. (I'm very self-conscious about my profile right now because my lower jaw sits too far back).

I agree with KK... definitely talk to your ortho about the changes you can expect.

Good luck :)

itsjustme

#3 Post by itsjustme »

I've also been a bit worried about my face changing as well. I don't want a longer face, and I don't want to lose my plump cheeks! :lol: :lol: I will also have to ask my ortho about this, but honestly I'm sort of at the no turning back point, so Im not sure it will do any good other than calm my fears!

grinning

#4 Post by grinning »

I agree that you should discuss this with your ortho. You said you have a narrow arch, I assume that will be widened? My arch needed widening to accomodate my teeth (no extractions) so I find my rather long, lean face has filled out a bit (yea!!). Husband can see it too, but honestly I doubt anyone else will. I think the changes are generally fairly subtle.

Mmmmuuaa

#5 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

When I look in the mirror I can tell there are some changes, my profile for one is getting so much better. I love to smile now even with braces on. I just love having straighter teeth. One thing I've had though is people thinking I've lost weight and that my face looks thinner. I personally think that it's just the braces pushing my lips out more and my cheeks looking a little more sunk in. It's subtle and I don't mind. And who knows, my face will probably change more as my treatment goes on. I personally think a beautiful smile out shines our little flaws. Smiles light up a room don't they?

bracedintx

#6 Post by bracedintx »

I had a very long and narrow face prior to braces, because my jaw was really narrow. I'm just over a year into treatment and my arches are a lot wider, which means that my teeth don't stick out anymore and my face is not as long. The changes will depend on what the treatment goals are. If you have crowding or an overbite, then your ortho will want to widen your arches, not make them even more narrow. Like most people have said, ask your ortho what the end goal is.
:)
self-ligating metal brackets all around

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I think that if braces made people's faces longer, then everyone out there who has ever had their teeth straightened would have a long face.

My lower jaw appears slightly different because my arches were pushed out a bit. There is NO NEGATIVE change.

I get my "after pictures" taken tomorrow (if it doesn't snow) and I can then compare side by side the before and after effects on my profile and jaw line.

Don't let this fear stand in the way!!!! Braces won't make your face long and ugly!!! There is no structural or skeletal change going on unless you have surgery.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

LuckyOne

#8 Post by LuckyOne »

Hey TLB,

It is a good idea to hear from others; but as others have written, definitely rely most heavily on your doctor (if you are not comfortable with them then consider changing).

Denise also asks a good question. Why are you getting braces? For me it is two reasons. 1) To help have healthier teeth for the rest of my life. My upper and lower jaw spacing isn't quite right and it wears away the enamel on my teeth. I want to make sure my teeth don't crack in my old age so some correction is needed. And some of the teeth are tight which makes flossing difficult. Easier to floss means easier to clean. 2) As long as I'm doing it, I might as well make them look as good as possible.

You and your doctor will have to decide. But if it is for health reasons, I wouldn't think there is much choice. If it for appearance, you might want to consider that most people find a smiling face more attractive than one that isn't (at least that is my understanding and it is true of me). I am also told that we are generally attracted to symmetry. Why not go for the nice symmetric smile? On the other hand, I don't think any of these changes in appearance will really matter to those that care about you! Those that love you will love you the same with or without the orthodontic correction. So make sure you are comfortable with whatever you decide. And be happy for the rest of your life.

Good Luck.