Newbie...taking first steps...Need help!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

anthony

Newbie...taking first steps...Need help!!!

#1 Post by anthony »

Hi guys,

As stated im brand new to this site and first off id like to say WOW....everybody seems so friendly and honest it has given me real courage to make a post.

I moved to New York almost a year and a half ago to take up a sports scholarship and study my degree. Having moved from a European country i never paid any attention to my teeth...to be frankly honest i think Europeans esp the British isles are renowned for having bad teeth. Although moving to Nyc is a dream for any 20 year old it can also be a nightmare. It seems everybody has sparkling teeth the type straight out of a Hollywood flick. Yes i know this is not completely true but sometimes i feel depressed bordering on anger that i did not see a dentist more regularly when i was younger.

But thanks to the hours of digging up info on the net and reading this site i'am more than happy to take the plunge and go down the orthodontic route. I'am looking for info on the best way to do this. I feel i have bad crowding among the top lateral incisors and canines and also the exact same on the bottom. Having seen a couple of dentists in the last few months to get opinions, one reckons the exctraction off 4 teeth because i have too many teeth for a small mouth. At this point i'am willing to try and do anything to solve this problem be it lingual braces, ceramics or even 6 month braces i just need help and possibly the names of a few good orthos in the Nyc area.

Many thanks in advance

anthony

#2 Post by anthony »

Thanks karen for the reply!! at this stage ive had enough and just want to correct the problem asap...

if possibe could you expalin the time period involved in my first ortho consoltation to actually getting the braces put on??

kind regards

manglemouth

#3 Post by manglemouth »

Thanks karen for the reply!! at this stage ive had enough and just want to correct the problem asap...

if possibe could you expalin the time period involved in my first ortho consoltation to actually getting the braces put on??

kind regards
Anthony, I have JUST been there. I too wanted to have my braces on "yesterday" already but believe me, it is worth it in the end when you find someone you are really comfortable with. LOL my first post was your last question, I wanted to know how long it would take after my consultation to have braces put on.

I have seen 4 orthos and it really varies greatly depending on the ortho. First ortho was gonna do Invisalign and it takes quite a while there because the trays need to be produced first. Second ortho could have had me braced about one week after my first consultation because they could have put in spacers the same day. Third ortho wanted me to get my teeth checked and cleaned first (it's just their policy to start 'with a clean slate") and then they are a pretty busy office, so their first available appointment after my dentist checkup (which was 2 weeks after the consultation) ended up being 4 weeks after my dentist appt, so all in all it will be 6 weeks or so between first consultation and braces. 4th ortho was no good, so I didn't even ask about the timeline :wink:

I have read about people who were able to get them on the same day (rare) and people who had to wait 8 weeks...sometimes longer if you need to get certain things done yet like dentist checkup, maybe fillings, or if you need to consult with periodontist or other specialty dentists.

Overall I would say it's an average of 4 weeks after the consultation. But it might take you a while to find someone you like and that is SO very important! I found all my ortho's online and checked out their website first. I got referrals too but they didnt' do me any good since those ortho's werent' on my insurance plan.

I would look around online or maybe start a thread for a NYC ortho so that people in that area can see your post and give you referrals!

Good luck!

LuckyOne

#4 Post by LuckyOne »

Anthony,

I'm afraid I can't help you with an ortho in NY either. I pretty much agree with KK. See a few orthos - if they are all telling you the same thing, I think that is good news. It can be more difficult to decide if they are all telling you something different. Obviously a dentist/ortho you see can tell you more than I can. But extracting 4 teeth seems like a big step. I would definitely want others to confirm that.

As for the time frame, it is completely dependent on the doctor's schedule. One was ready to get started right after the consultation. Another couldn't get started for some time. It also depends on how much work needs to be done before the braces go on (e.g. tooth extraction). In my case I needed a week or so with spacers to make room for the molar bands. Then another week or so before the brackets and archwire went on. Everyone is a special case and the doctors schedule plays into this as well.

Keep after it, but make sure you are comfortable with your choice of doctor or you may regret it for the rest of your life!

Delag

#5 Post by Delag »

Don't be too hard on yourself aobut what happened in the past. My Mother was terrified of dentists and never took me (she was afraid the dentist would want to see her too). All of this has meant a lot of $ and pain for me. What is important is that you make smart choices now. Call the dentists you have seen in NY and get the names of orthodontists they recommend. After you have a list, find the ones that are easy for you to get to and start gathering information and opinions. I would also see at least 3 to give you a good idea of what your options are.