How many days should I book off work?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Katica

How many days should I book off work?

#1 Post by Katica »

I'm going to be getting my wisdom teeth yanked out. All four are completely impacted and they'll be putting me under for the procedure. I expect to be off work that day and possibly the day after. What are your thoughts?

iBorg

#2 Post by iBorg »

Ask your oral surgeon. He knows what he's doing and what's involved.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

ngbraces

#3 Post by ngbraces »

When my college student son got his 4 impacted wisdom teeth pulled out, he was put in sleep during the procedure. He took just that day off, the next day he went back to school as normal. However, everybody is different; to be safe, just ask your doctor and prepare for more than a couple of days.
Full Metal Mouth

cowlypso

#4 Post by cowlypso »

It can vary widely depending upon your pain tolerance, your response to the procedure, and if there are any complicating factors.

I had mine out on a Wednesday afternoon and I was pretty much on heavy drugs and just lying around sleeping and miserable until Monday morning. But I strongly suspect that I had a small infection going on that caused the increased pain levels. Sunday night I woke up covered in sweat like a fever had broken. All day Sunday I had been in just as much pain as before, but then when I woke up Monday morning I felt so much better and just took some ibuprofen and was fine.

I would vote for taking the day after off.

Boolajoojoo

#5 Post by Boolajoojoo »

My vote would also be for taking the day after off of work, depending on the kind of work you do. If you are mostly sitting down and not talking to people a lot, it would probably be fine.

All 4 of mine were impacted and I had an infection, and it was really a miserable experience for me because I couldn't afford the IV sedation... and I figured after that nothing could be so terrible... so I went to work the next day thinking it would get my mind off of it. I was waiting tables, and talking a lot and I ended up with dry socket... which I somewhat attribute to going to work the day after.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I had mine out under general anaesthetic when I was 21. They were all impacted. The next day I felt awful, I wasn't in a lot of pain but my face was badly swollen and i sure didn't feel like doing much. By the day after that I was starting to feel better.

ame_malia

#7 Post by ame_malia »

When my brother got his wisdom teeth removed (at around 18 or 19, i think) He was mostly fine the day after, and doing pretty well the day after that. It was on a break in school, so he didn't have to take any days off. I know it was painful, and bled on the first day, and the pain got better on the second day with ibuprofen, but he can be a tough guy sometimes, so I don't know how much it really hurt him. I'm probably gonna get mine out this summer, so good luck to you and me and bye-bye to our teeth!