I need advice before i decide to do this

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JesseJames

I need advice before i decide to do this

#1 Post by JesseJames »

Hey everyone. Ive been reading this forum for months trying to make up my mind! I've been batting the idea of Linguals, Metal, Ceramics and Clear braces around and think i'm finally coming to a conclusion.

My teeth are all relatively straight, just some slight crowding at the front and they are a bit uneven, but they all line up and no gaps! I went for a consultation this past week and this was their thoughts....
-pull two teeth on top to create room, the ones behind the "fangs" lol im sorry, i dont know the proper names of the teeth...
-put in a palate expander
-clear braces on top, metal on bottom
-treatment time of 12-18 months

Now for my concerns. I am terrified of the palate expander! I hear you have to learn how to eat,speak and drink again!! :( I do not want to do that being 22 years old. Is a palate expander absolutely necessary? especially with teeth being pulled? it's the ONLY thing holding me back right now.
I'd really appreciate anyones help on this. I know everyones mouth is different, but i was under the impression that pulling me teeth would create the room, thus making the palate expander unnecessary?

lemonlyme

#2 Post by lemonlyme »

I have an expander, it's not that bad. I'm pretty used to it now. It's done wonders for my smile. Before i had a narrow smile, with some crooked teeth, now i have a wide smile with straight teeth. Some people dont need it to get expansion, but my orthodontist thought i did-and i trust him. I dont regret it at all. Eating was a challenge, and talking was pretty funny, but it's not so bad you cant deal with it.

Maryaten got great expansion just from her archwire, though-it's amazing. I guess it just depends on your case, but if you trust your ortho, i'm sure he wouldnt suggest something not necessary or that wouldnt complement the treatment plan he has planned.

LuckyOne

#3 Post by LuckyOne »

Hi Jesse James (someone sure has a sense of humor),

The only thing I would suggest is getting several opinions. I realize tooth extraction isn't uncommon, but I wouldn't do it without several people telling me that is what I need to do. Once they are out, you cannot put them back. And there is a lot more to our teeth than appearance. If the information you got is correct, this is not something I consider light orthodontics. It may not be uncommon or dangerous, but it should be done with caution.

Good Luck!