first day with braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braces@28

first day with braces

#1 Post by braces@28 »

I just got my braces on yesterday afternoon and it didnt hurt
Today I feel some pressure! I am starving and can barely eat! How long should this last! I am currently regreting just because I feel like I look horrible and I can not eat:(

JoviFan

#2 Post by JoviFan »

You'll need to eat soft foods for a couple days, jello, applesauce, pudding, mac and cheese, yogurt, baked/mashed potatoes...etc.....I'm on day 16 (wa hoo, lol) and they hardly bother me anymore, almost bothers me, cuz I'm from the 'old school' of 'no pain, no gain'.....but can eat alot of stuff, I just cut it into toddler sized pieces...yea, I still feel like I look funny, esp cuz I have very small teeth and the ceramic braces take up 90% of my teeth....oh well, keep telling myself it'll be soooo worth it in the end! !!!
Good luck! and give it a little time to get use to :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

barbienightmare

#3 Post by barbienightmare »

hey I got mine one today and Im so hungry I was jere looking for eating advice or empathy too aand I just saw your post!

Im busy dribbling soup at the min slurping badly Im even embarrassed infromt of me own boyf even if he does find it funny!

I tried to take a bite of spagetti bolognaise earlier and first chew and suddenly I was in pain at the back so I spat it out !!
arggghhh!
I hadnt had pain yet till then so its well put me off.
Im such a picker with food though I feel like my thoats been cut with no solids ! my second bowl of soup aint doing it for me!! but Im scared.
I swear nothing has ever stopped me eating some way or other, even after my root canal I got home went straing in the kitchen and had cold pizza folowed by cake and the rest ( I dribbled though )

any way I hear your cry Its horrid being hungry you suddenly crave everything!

also tea !! whats the crack there every sip and my teeth feel suddenly pulled tight for a sec !! ?? its not pain ful but weird and slightly addictive !

ps. mashed potatoe , good thinking , I may do with some cheese in a bit!

Nawners

#4 Post by Nawners »

I think most archwires are heat activated, so when you drink something hot like tea, they pull harder on your teeth. Probably not what technically happens, but that's what it feels like!
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~

braces@28

#5 Post by braces@28 »

thanks guys. the orthodontist said 15-18 months!
how do i get one of those trackers that you guys have?
sorry to sound like a baby!
my husband thinks its cute!! im scared to go in public again!

gunter8888

#6 Post by gunter8888 »

THe first 3-4 days are the worst. Your lips have to adjust to the brackets and wires, the pressure can be painful and the appearance can be startling. However, it does pass quickly! I am at 2 weeks today and I hardly think about mine except when I brush/floss. When I do look at my new "grill" I get excited thinking about how great my teeth will look when its all done.

Hang in there. Enjoy some soft foods and know that it will get better.
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

MarvinBrace

#7 Post by MarvinBrace »

Hi braces@28,
I hope everything is ok with you. I have to tell you that with TIME you will get used to everything. Give it a good 2 to 3 weeks and you will see. :wink:

About the ticker you better go to the "how to" forum and read the steps and than go to the tickerfactory.com and make your own ticker.

Hope I could inform you enough. :lol:

Bye....Marvin

barbienightmare

#8 Post by barbienightmare »

Nawners wrote:I think most archwires are heat activated, so when you drink something hot like tea, they pull harder on your teeth. Probably not what technically happens, but that's what it feels like!
yes wondered if there was some heat type reaction thing, if it is tighter when warmer then Im living on hot drinks then :wink:

braces@28
Im well worried about going public too!

my bloke so far has done a lot of grinning at me ! and says I sound like elma fudd !

braces@28

flossing?

#9 Post by braces@28 »

Thanks for the advice so far!
mac&cheese has been my friend!
I tried to floss last night and it hurt so bad!
do i wait until it stops hurting or just suck it up and do it?!

JoviFan

Re: flossing?

#10 Post by JoviFan »

braces@28 wrote:Thanks for the advice so far!
mac&cheese has been my friend!
I tried to floss last night and it hurt so bad!
do i wait until it stops hurting or just suck it up and do it?!
I 'sucked it up and did it' ! LOL --- it really does get better - after 2 weeks I get a tooth here or there that is tender to floss, but figure that's improvement/movement :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Sweet Escape

#11 Post by Sweet Escape »

Yep, I'm on day 3 and my teeth are sore and tender and I'm only eating soft foods. I guess it will be like this for a week or 2.

onedayperfect

#12 Post by onedayperfect »

14 days into braces, I have eaten everything put in front of me. Chew through the pain alittle, and in a few days everything will be fine.

Mel-UK

#13 Post by Mel-UK »

28: I think you should just floss, because otherwise you'll get a build up of plaque pretty quickly- it gets easier honest! The first days are the worst just getting used to the braces. I've found that soup is the best thing. And salt water really does make a difference and the wax.

Good luck!
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.