UK shopping list suggestions...?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dramaqueendaisy

UK shopping list suggestions...?

#1 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hello! I'm finally getting braced up on March 9 and I was wandering if there were any brace-wearers out there from the UK who could recommend things like toothbrushes, floss and general useful brace bits and pieces that are available over here?

I'd like to be prepared as much as I can...any thoughts?? :-}

Thanks! :rose:
Last edited by dramaqueendaisy on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Natalie

#2 Post by Natalie »

the dentakit you can buy from this site is pretty handy and they do deliver to the uk. my dentist gave me toothbrushes and paste and other bits and bobs when i got braced so hopefully yours will do the same. good luck for brace day!

Amy19

#3 Post by Amy19 »

Hey drama!

the uk seems quite limited on dental supplies for brace wearers but there are things out there!!

i for one love floriguard (sp) mouthwash by colgate nice taste and full of flouride which is always a plus :D

interdental brushes are available from boots and superdrug but i prefer the teepee ones i buy from the net.

i also love the sonicare toothbrush i got, seems to make my metal sparkle (though i think thats in my head).

a waterpik is available from argos for £29.99 which is great to get all the little bits you didnt know were there!

good luck with everything. *smile*

Amy x

[/url]

onedayperfect

#4 Post by onedayperfect »

As listed above, the waterpik is a must have piece of equipment!

Mel-UK

#5 Post by Mel-UK »

Hi there, my Ortho has supplied most of what I have needed so if you are going private yours should do the same. The best floss I've found is the Oral-B Super Floss (my Ortho doesn't supply this), it's available at Boots and even my local supermarket stocks it. I agree the Waterpik is great too - Boots and Argos sell it. For the rest I'd wait to see what you get from the Ortho. Good luck.
Damon3 upper & lowers
plus bite turbos on upper front teeth and one elastic closing a gap on front lower teeth and one closing a gap on upper front teeth. Elastics on hooks both sides.

Lisa65

#6 Post by Lisa65 »

I buy superfloss from Boots and interdental brushes from (I think) Superdrug, as they have their own version of the Tepe brushes. I also have a mains-powered waterjet which I got from www.oraldent.co.uk
I generally use Dentyl-PH mouthwash which is available from any high street chemist or supermarket.

The only thing I haven't been able to find in shops is wax, but i get that from my ortho when I need it, so it's not a problem.

BritGirl

#7 Post by BritGirl »

Has anyone come across the ortho brush heads for the electric toothbrushes? I've checked Boots and Superdrug but with no success. I've been using the Tepe brushes until I can find one.

Natalie

#8 Post by Natalie »

no brit girl i haven't seen those but when i use my sonicare it doesn't seem to matter, i just put the head on top of and then underneath the wire as i work my way around or vice versa, my ortho told me not to use it but seeing as so many people on here do and have no probs and given that it even has instructions for braces wearers, after a couple of months i decided to ignore her and use it now!

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

What type of toothbrush have you got britgirl? I haven't seen them in the shops but I know you can get ortho heads for Oral-B brushes on Amazon and also from Expresschemist online.

Dr Jon Harrow

#10 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:) Hi, I'm on the same searches, my Brace-day is 12th march, have also tried to get, the oral b (OD-17 orthodonic heads), and most chemists can provide a blank stare, but not much else.
I have however phoned Proctor and Gamble, and they do say although, these are available, they do not have specific places. Boots should be able to order 283 7383 is the order number from Pharmacies wholesale guide..(the power of being a medical professional :!: :!: ).
However I don't know how many you have to purchase, also as Lisa said, they are available from Amazon, although they are only in single head packs and are quite expensive, in relation to the usual oral B stuff.
My ortho has suggested usual a V-cut brush or a soft childrens one, as i believe KK suggested to me. Good luck, let me know of any suppliers.
Has anyone used orthoshop? (www.orthoshop.co.uk), I was at the hospital i (occasionally) work at today, and spoke to the nurses at the Maxilafacial Dept, and they suggested trying them.
Dr Jon XX :) :)

Lisa65

#11 Post by Lisa65 »

I think I bought something from orthoshop one time, but I found a site called www.dentocare.co.uk that has a much bigger selection of stuff. I got some floss threaders from there which I hadn't been able to find anywhere else.

I've just looked again and they do the Oral-B orthodontic heads for £3.95 which I believe is cheaper than Amazon sells them for.

Here's the direct link for those brush heads if anyone in the UK wants to order them.
http://www.dentocare.co.uk/productOR340.html