How plausible? back to work after braces put on...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rise&demise

How plausible? back to work after braces put on...

#1 Post by rise&demise »

I have a mid-morning appointment to have my braces put on this coming Thursday. Ceramics up top and four metal brackets on the bottom. I was originally thinking... no problem, I'll be back to work after lunch. I told my wife this and she laughed (she had braces during childhood). She thought that I wouldn't even be able to drive home and was going to make plans to pick me up.

Am I so naive to think that I'll get the braces slapped on during an extended lunch break and be back for the one o'clock meeting?

Joel-

#2 Post by Joel- »

On my first brace day I had 6 ceramic brackets put on my upper arch. It was sort of painful after a couple hours but nothing too bad. I guess it depends!

tyrablu

#3 Post by tyrablu »

I actually had both uppers and lowers done during my lunch break( they were done months apart per the treatment schedule).

And all of my adjustments thus far are done during lunch. I guess it is really a matter of personal preference.

rise&demise

#4 Post by rise&demise »

Very reassuring comments! I didn't mention that my wife is 8 months pregnant and would feel extremely guilty to leverage her transport. Glad to hear that it can be done.

I do feel a bit strange about leaving in the morning an coming back with BRACES in the afternoon, though. Haven't mentioned it to any co-workers...

iitsmandaOx

#5 Post by iitsmandaOx »

It didn't take long for me to get my braces on at all! and the pain really didnt start until later that night. I was in a lot of pain the next morning, but I found that by going to school it kind of took my mind off of the pain. I suppose it depends!

rise&demise

#6 Post by rise&demise »

Kinda makes me wish my appointment was on Friday for the lagged-discomfort. I just realized that my ortho's office isn't even open on Friday... I guess my $ is enough to subsidize a perpetual 3-day weekend. If only I had this little bit of info when making my career choice.

Anyhow, I'm planning to suck it up and get back to work after my appointment.

rise&demise

#7 Post by rise&demise »

"Be positive and have a great appointment! Then enjoy your 1 pm!"

Odds are my morning appointment will go much smoother than my afternoon. And my wife recently told me that the only positive quality I possessed was my blood type (O+, which came as a surprise to her, btw)!

Glad to have happened across this web board.

Jenny5

#8 Post by Jenny5 »

I had a full set of uppers and lowers put on in the same appointment. I drove myself there and went back to work afterward with no problems. Granted, it was one of my usual "work from home" days, so it made it a little easier, but I was able to work without it being a problem. Like some of the others said, it was actually good to have something to keep my mind off of the newness of it all. I was really not in any pain whatsoever. The only reason I would consider taking off would be to allow yourself time to get used to them before mingling with your coworkers, as there's definitely a little adjustment needed in terms of speaking, looking at your new smile in the mirror 1,000 times, and feeling like yourself, but as far as pain goes, I think you will be a-ok! :thumbsup: I would imagine everyone's experience was different, but even my orthodontist said I shouldn't be in any pain the first day because my teeth wouldn't actually be moving just yet. As for the second day, you'll have to play it by ear. I've heard some people say they were in awful pain the second day, but I really wasn't. There were a few minutes when I woke up where I felt a little uncomfortable, but it went away pretty soon after I got out of bed.

As KK said, your wife probably went through a much more torturous process than you will. I keep running into people who empathize with me and tell me these stories about how HORRIBLE it was getting braces on and how bad the first few days were, but I am not finding that to be the case at all (so far anyway...).

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!

choccyface

#9 Post by choccyface »

Another "Don't worry" from me too. I went shopping and drove home after having my brace fitted top and bottom, like its already been said, it can be uncomfortable some time after though not straight away.

Sarah

ame_malia

#10 Post by ame_malia »

I drove myself to and from getting braces put on, and even went back to class and lab afterward. I was pretty sore, but that's probably because I forget to take some ibuprofen before my appointment like I told myself I would. Unless you just have an extremely low pain threshold, you should be ok (especially if you remember to take some kind of OTC pain meds BEFORE being braced, that way you don't have to wait for them to kick in afterwards!)

Good luck! :)

Ives

#11 Post by Ives »

I liked this question, I was wondering the same thing. I go in for spacers this friday than braces the following thursday. I have thursday off ( got employee of the month, free day off :D ) but have to be back on friday the next day. Not much time to get used to the new mouth. My difference is everyone knows why I took the day off so they will be looking for the change on friday. I have a feeling I won't be talking much !!!!!!!! :wink: