Wow, Spacers...question

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BraceMom

Wow, Spacers...question

#1 Post by BraceMom »

Hi, I'm new here, 38 year old Mom of 2 and just got my spacers yesterday and WOW, they hurt :yuck: :-(( And I don't expect it to get better since I had some very tight spaces and they had to use a metal twist tie (instead of a blue band) in one very bad one. And that's the one I have a question about, the metal twist tie is keeping my teeth from touching on that one side. I was just wondering if this is common, to have them hanging down below the tooth level?? This is going to be a very long 1-2 weeks if that's the case since I can't chew even soft potato or scrambled egg :( Should I call my ortho???

And also thank you to all of you for all this great information, I lurked for a couple of days prior and read all I could and it really helped me ask the right questions. I look forward to spending more time here.

fitchick

#2 Post by fitchick »

I had one spacer that was digging into my gum and I kept biting on it. I'd say if you are concerned then call your ortho, they are there to help put your mind at rest. I just stuck with it knowing that it was very short term. I hope things get better for you.
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pink77blondie

#3 Post by pink77blondie »

My spacers hurt really bad too!!! They were horrible for a full week! but I have had my braces for 3 days now and they dont hurt half as bad as the spacers did!

manglemouth

#4 Post by manglemouth »

I had those metal spacers, YES they are awful! One of them was digging into my gums like that too, causing me to eventually rip it out :lol: When I went to have it replaced, my ortho told me that it's normal for the spacers to creep up to the gumline and that it means that the space is being created. She suggested salt water rinses and Listerine to keep everything nice and clean and that I had to just stick it out. However; she was able to replace that lost metal spacer with a rubber one then. That is always an option, see if they can maybe do that...it doesn't take long to create just enough space to have a rubber one put in. I loved my one rubber spacer LOL.

The pain won't last all that long even though it seems unbearable the first couple of days. I had very tight spaces too, to the point where my assistant had to use elbow grease just to get the metal spacers in. She said I was one of the worst she'd ever had as far as tightness. The worst was over in about two days for me...then it was just soreness when i bit down, and after a week there was no pain at all, just the annoyance of them moving around constantly because they were getting loose.

Hang in there, it gets better! (and see about replacing with rubber!)

BraceMom

#5 Post by BraceMom »

Thanks everyone, I've been living off of Motrin and soft or drinkable foods, couldn't even chew a soft french fry or piece of potato in soup yesterday which I guess will be good for the last 20 pregnancy pound I need to get off. And I'm actually going back to the ortho this afternoon because one of my rubber band spacers fell out so they're going to have to put it back in :cry: so I'll have them take a look at the metal one while I'm there.

Nawners

#6 Post by Nawners »

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your spacers. I had a terrible time as well! I had mine for two weeks. The first week was annoying, but not painful. The second week, was pure misery. I can totally sympathize with you!

As everyone else has said, OTC ibuprofen and warm salt water rinses really do help. Also, as hard as it is, try to have a positive outlook. They are only in few a very small amount of time!

Good luck with the rest of your spacered days...
~There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus~