Tooth shaping damage?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

genxsis

Tooth shaping damage?

#1 Post by genxsis »

My ortho did some "tooth shaping" which is not something I'm at all comfortable with. He tooth some enamel off of some teeth, and now those surfaces are rough instead of smooth like they were. It's been about a month now. I was told that the surfaces would get smooth again, but now how long it would take.

Doesn't the rougher enamel surface make the tooth more suseptible to decay? That the thing that worries me the most!
Our words drift away. Our words journey to find those who will listen. It may be our words become lost. It may be our words find nothing, find no one. We call out into the distance.... --"Roma Ryan"

Rickysa

#2 Post by Rickysa »

At your next appointment, just ask them to polish off the area where the adjustments were made...there are different graded of polishing points just for that use.

We usually start with a diamond burr, then a green-stone, then a white-stone/polishing point.

Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)