Gap not closing :-(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Irinadax

Gap not closing :-(

#1 Post by Irinadax »

Hello all, I've been lurking around here for some time and finally decided to post this and get others opinions.

I had two upper bicuspids pulled (first molars) to make room for my crowded teeth. On the left side the gap created by the extraction is closing rather nicely, although a smaller gap has been created by my canine and the tooth next to it. However, that is not worrisome. What worries me is that the right side gap is NOT closing. The Ortho thinks that perhaps during the extraction, there was bone loss/removal and is talking about possibly needing a bone graft. My initial response to that is NO. I've have been in braces for a year, and the bone graft was never even something discussed when we discussed the extractions. I don't yet exactly what is going to happen but I'm even considering getting a fake molar to fill in the gap when the rest of the teeth have shifted. But, wouldn't that throw off my midline? to have 4 molars on one side, and three on the other? Has anyone had a similar experience.

Braced4braces

#2 Post by Braced4braces »

X-rays probably would reveal whether it really was bone lost.

I guess your smile would be off the midline if u have 2 bicuspids on one side and 1 on the other. Maybe u can try asking your friends to help you decide or look into the mirror youself and see if it is obvious. If not, maybe you can go for the implant option.

Just a suggestions :)

Irinadax

#3 Post by Irinadax »

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, if a bone graft is necessary in the place of the extraction (pre-molar) in order to move the molar behind that space, foward. I had never heard of this.....

This is what my ortho is suggesting might be necessary. So I'm somewhat upset b/c I don't want to go that route. I don't want any more pain. In addition, I was never told that might happen if I had the extraction.