Poll: Pain

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IndyBraceFace

Poll: Pain

#1 Post by IndyBraceFace »

What has been the most painful part of your braces experience so far?

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

Opening my wallet. By far.

jennielee81

#3 Post by jennielee81 »

First, I agree with lionfish, opening my wallet. :roll:

Second most painful part was when I got the rectangular wires.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

Quitting smoking in order to pay my braces.

manglemouth

#5 Post by manglemouth »

The spacers, hands down

gramsinbraces

#6 Post by gramsinbraces »

Tomorrow for me to jt2lang. Yes, so far it's the wallet, that hurts. but I have to spend it on something might as well be me!
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

gramsinbraces

#7 Post by gramsinbraces »

Tomorrow for me to jt2lang. Yes, so far it's the wallet, that hurts. but I have to spend it on something might as well be me!
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Jillianleab

#8 Post by Jillianleab »

The money wasn't an issue for me; I knew that I was making the right decision and was committed to doing it once I found the right ortho!

The most painful part - the day they went on. I dreaded the whole day; had to get up early, sat in the waiting room with a bunch of kids staring at me, and then actually sitting in the chair and opening my mouth was hard. It made it so real (duh!). To top it off, my hubby's grandparents and foreign exchange student were in from out of town at that time and I was in NO MOOD to see anyone the first few days! So on top of the holy-crap-what-have-I-just-done, the wires pulling my teeth and causing physical pain, I had guilt because I didn't want to be around my hubby's family! And, in a further moment of I-already-feel-like-crap-let's-just-top-it-off, I chose brace day to visit my dad's grave for the first time. Talk about wallowing! Man, I'm stupid sometimes!!!!! :?

Now, 9 months later, I'm over it. I don't care about the braces anymore. They are there and one day they won't be. In that first week, I NEVER thought I'd feel that way!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

KatK

#9 Post by KatK »

The most painful? Having the wires of my pendulum grow into the roof of my mouth. I assumed the pain was normal, until I realized I could no longer feel the wires, just tissue. Then they had to remove it without numbing it! OUCH!
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

KatK

#10 Post by KatK »

It's true... some pain actually means that something is wrong! I was expecting to just accept any type of pain. I guess it's a fine line.. and it's really hard to know the difference!

I see your brace day is tomorrow - good luck! :-)
~ Pendulum on December 1st
~ Damon lowers March 27
~ PENDULUM OFF MAY 22nd!
~ Palatal Bar installed May 22nd..
~ Damon clear uppers May 22 too!

Jenny5

#11 Post by Jenny5 »

Well, I still have a long way to go, but so far? SPACERS. No question about it. Image

Kat -- good to know! I kind of have that "I'll deal with any pain that comes with it" attitude, but I will have to be more cautious if something really starts to hurt!

diande

#12 Post by diande »

swiping my plastic card

and

getting my 1st set of rectangular wires :shock:
Upper and lower bonded retainers; Upper Hawley for night time

DEBANDED ON FRIDAY 15TH AUGUST 2008 - FINALLY!!!

Braced on 13 September 2006 - Ceramic upper and lower brackets - Estimated time was 12 Months

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

Similar to Kat.

The worst pain was having my Nance dig into the roof of my mouth because the swelling from my implants had made it too tight. i felt like my head was about to burst from the pressure. :?

Ives

#14 Post by Ives »

Well since ive just had spacers so far all i can comment on is SPACERS S__K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(*

other than that i'm good. :lol:
Braced March 1st 07

nvcarissa

#15 Post by nvcarissa »

The worst pain I have had since getting braces was not the initial bracketing, nor the BSSO surgery, but instead, the pain I got in the weeks after the surgery as my jaw muscles attempted to "put themselves back" and I would clench at night. The pain in my muscles from that clenching was searing and went from the jaw up into my head. Nothing in my braces journey has compared. So, I guess the pain was due to my braces journey, but not the actual braces themselves.

I never had spacers, so for me the worst pain caused by the actual braces themselves was the original bracketing. I hurt for about 14 days. I've had comparable pain (power chains, elastics) but none have lasted as long as that initial pain.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.