got braced today

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bsblguy

got braced today

#1 Post by bsblguy »

It is now 5:16 pm. I got braces put on at 2 pm. I thought I was prepared for this but WOW. These things feel like they stick out an inch from my teeth. Actually they are getting to feel a little better already as I can now close my mouth without my lips hanging up on the brackets and wires. I'm 55 and in them for the first time. It was a trip after they were put on and still there as all these teenagers were arriving and sure looked at me funny. They put some blocks on my back teeth to prevent my front teeth from knocking the lower brackets off. Getting all the hardware put on wasn't so bad cept I almost had to cough once when the brackets were in place but glue not hardened yet, I managed to hold it. 8 weeks 'till 1st adjustment. The countdown begins the other way now. Should be fun at work tomorrow as I haven't told anyone I'm doing this. I wonder about the metal detector, lol.

JoviFan

#2 Post by JoviFan »

Yea - congrats!!!!! Today is 1 month for me --- not too bad so far :)
Uppers Braced 1/29/07; 2 Upper bicuspid extractions 9/14/07; Lowers braced 9/25/07

Marley

#3 Post by Marley »

Congrats bsbl! Hope the next couple days are good for you!

Ives

#4 Post by Ives »

Nice, looking forward to some pics. 3 more days for me. Hey, I saw on your other topic that you put a video on youtube. I went there but couldn't find your name anywhere. Tried searching under braces, didn't see anything. Did see some other videos about braces though. The kid that hates flossing was humorous. See Ya.

Maybe you could post a link.

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

lionfish

#5 Post by lionfish »

Congrats on starting your journey.

Yeah, I'm usually the oldest patient in the waiting room and because my appointments are usually early morning, I'm surrounded by throngs of kids in uniforms. I reckon they think I'm someone's mother (or worse still, grandmother...).

Btw, I've never gonged when going through the metal detector.

gramsinbraces

#6 Post by gramsinbraces »

Interested in how you are feeling by now. I'm 48 and tomorrow is my Braced Day!! I'm a little excited and want to stay positive about it all, Hope I'm not hurting by this time tomorrow nite..Good luck to you.
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

bsblguy

#7 Post by bsblguy »

Thanks for the responses. My youtube video did not upload. I'm going to try again or maybe make a new one. it said the file was too large but video was only a min. n a half long. 8 hours after braces on I'm still feeling pretty good. I'm kinda getting used to them on now but man did they feel funny at first. Now the countdown begins the other way. I was watching the clock all last nite counting down the hours. I was at the office way early cause I couldn't wait any longer. :lol:

ccrisis

#8 Post by ccrisis »

Happy B-Day!!! Can't wait to see pictures. Has eating been a problem?? My B-day is 3/9 -- so I'm very anxious to hear about your experience.

2oldtocare

#9 Post by 2oldtocare »

I know what you mean...at 55 I also got those looks from the kids! Something like, "Am I still going to be in braces when I'm that old!?" :shock: And their parents look at me and think, "Boy she has more guts than me!". :o After 27 months, I'm almost at the end of my journey with these things, and I'm glad I did it. Even though it wasn't a cosmetic thing, but my teeth weren't aligned. Good luck to you!

rcsw6

#10 Post by rcsw6 »

I am 29 and getting my uppers tomorrow. I was worried about being too old for it and so it is great to hear stories of people in their 50s doing it. I know I will look back in 20 years time and be so glad I did it. If I back out now I will look back in 20 years time and just be gutted. Let's get on with it!