Pricing, Insurance, Ceramics...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

peaceandhope

Pricing, Insurance, Ceramics...

#1 Post by peaceandhope »

My dental care provider is an HMO (or DMO or whatever they call it).

Therefore, I am paying a co-pay ($1200). The cost being low is what convinced me to finally take the plunge and get the braces I dearly needed.

My question is...does anyone else have a copay for ortho?

and...what did people pay for ceramics?

I had to pay an additional $455 to have ceramics on my uppers. They don't do ceramic lowers and I am ok with that, as my teeth are much worse on the bottom.

Thanks!

Braced for 3 weeks on top only.
Lowers coming in 9 more weeks.

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

Wow, $1200 is great! My insurance paid $2,000 towards my braces, so I had to cover the rest (about $2,400). I think I still would have gotten braces if I had to pay the full amount, but that $2,000 certainly helps!

As for the ceramics, I paid an extra $450 to get them on the upper 6, so very close to what you paid. At the time, I absolutely wanted clear on top and I'm very happy with the look of them, but I don't think it would have taken me long to get used to all metal either, so I probably could have saved the $450. Oh well, no regrets.

Good luck with your treatment.

gunter8888

#3 Post by gunter8888 »

I don't think any insurances cover the upgrade to ceramics.

My insurance covered up to $1500, but they also have a contract price with the orthos on their plan that limits what the ortho can charge. Between the $1500 and the contract price I saved about $2300 - WOOHOO! :jump:
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

Cynnamin

#4 Post by Cynnamin »

I have a PPO.

My ortho maximum is 1400-1500$ lifetime benefit. However, one of my coworkers mentioned they got the lifetime benefit twice - probably due to a paper error. I'm hoping I'm lucky as well.

My final cost is $4800 before insurance and I paid 900$ up front, plus $150 for impressions and panoramic x-rays. My payments are ~$170 per month for 2 years before insurance - their financing operates on the basis of all out of pocket. When the insurance payments come in, they just apply those to the account so I have yet to make a payment on mine.

I also can ask them for *two* forebearances through the life of the financing - if I am short on money, I can ask them to hold the auto-draft from my bank account. They also will hold the autodraft if I want to make a payment by coming into the office.

Also, there is no interest on my financing. After the fiasco with my student loans, I was VERY happy to hear that! All in all, I expect to pay $3300 for my braces - which is less than what I paid for ONE semester of college.

IndyBraceFace

#5 Post by IndyBraceFace »

My ortho charges and extra $300 for clear brackets and allows them on the top only.

Unfortunately, my insurance pays $0 toward my braces.

awillis42606

#6 Post by awillis42606 »

I haven't talked this through completely with my ortho yet (don't have my braces in yet), but I know my insurance (PPO) covers $2000, unfortunately this is for a lifetime. I was quoted over the phone at my braces and expander costing $4400. So we have to pay $2400 over an 18 month period @ $133.33 a month. Now remember, this is all what the receptionist told me over the phone...

Now I have a question. Does this $4400 include all the adjustments and everything else that goes with getting braces and having an expander? Hoping someone knows the answer to this. Of course, I'll ask when I have my appointment on the 16th.

Thanks!!!

Amanda

Graceful58

#7 Post by Graceful58 »

Yes, everything including your retainer should be included in that price. Just double check with your ortho as all offices run a bit differently.

awillis42606

#8 Post by awillis42606 »

Thanks Graceful

I will definitly ask my ortho about it. But it's nice to have a little peace of mind until that day comes...

Amanda

nancoy

#9 Post by nancoy »

Everything should be included but might be a good idea to ask your Dr and call your insurance just in case. You guys are so lucky to have dental insurance. We don't have any and out of $6000.00 but worth every penny. :D

viewtopic.php?t=17426

moonchick

#10 Post by moonchick »

My insurance doesn't cover my braces, so I'm paying entirely out of pocket. I have ceramic uppers and lowers, which are costing me $6200, but, for me, it's worth it. :D

Cynnamin

#11 Post by Cynnamin »

They say money can't buy happiness but it can sure buy self-confidence... with or without insurance!!!