New member and a very excited one!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Genie

New member and a very excited one!

#1 Post by Genie »

Oh Boy, I'm so excited! I'm a newly registered member but I'm not actually new to this forum as I've been reading this for a while (abt 4 months ago) before deciding to embark on my braces journey...

I just called today. Had a consultation before so my first appt on 19 May will be model of teeth, x-ray, extractions and spacers.

Sounds terrible and I felt nervous even while calling up the clinic to book an appt!

I'm 24 and I will be getting mini braces, molar bands (do everyone need either bands or buccal tubes?), hmm... that's all that I know of at the moment.

Have a nice day everyone!

ccrisis

#2 Post by ccrisis »

Welcome. I'm sort of a newbie myself and I'm gettng braced tomorrow. You are right to be nervous -- it's a big step, but you're also right to be excited, because it's a great thing to do for yourself. I will also have molar bands. I think that's because my molars have fillings which stick out of the sides and they can't stick brackets to the fillings.

Ives

#3 Post by Ives »

Hey Genie
Welcome and congrats. The hardest part about getting braces for me was deciding to actually go ahead and get them. You've gotten past that part, it's all down hill from here., :wink:
Braced March 1st 07

WiredforSound

#4 Post by WiredforSound »

Welcome Genie!

Congratulations on your decision! Glad to hear you are excited. This is an exciting process and the end result will definitely be worth it.

I know what you mean about reading the board before joining. I too read the information on this board for several months before joining and I was so nervous to call to make the first appt at the Ortho that I waited several weeks after being referred before I called.

With the first appointment being in May, you have lots of time to read up on everything so you know what to expect during your Ortho visits.

I am sure you will have a great journey and everyone on this board is very supportive!!

Marley

#5 Post by Marley »

Genie that is great!! Hopefully the time will fly for you! Waiting to get mine was horrible! Haha.. but looking back, the time did fly!

Way to give them a call! I'm actually still in shock that I have braces. I never thought I'd have the courage to fix these! I inquired about getting them when I visited my dentist in early Dec... my palms were sweaty.. I was nervous! I still remember bring it up to my friends and family.. also nervewracking. Once I had told everyone.. I couldn't stop talking about braces!! haha Brutal!

ANYWAYS! Congrats!!

ccrisis - How was your Birthday!? Good luck tomorrow!!

lea72104

#6 Post by lea72104 »

Just wanted to swing by and say congrats! I'll be getting my brackets and spacers the 22nd and then on the 30th the spacers will be removed and the wire put in. i also have to have one tooth taken out on monday. Good luck and keep us posted!

dramaqueendaisy

#7 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hiya Genie!

I'm new too...getting braced tomorrow at 10.30am GMT at last!!!! :-)o I've had spacers in, spacers out, 4 bands in,4 teeth out, gold crown with band on fell out twice so had to have the tooth remaining broken up and removed yesterday...I really hope that's the worst of it cos that was hideous (but the other extractions were fine).

Good luck with your journey...I'll keep you posted with mine!

What are mini braces by the way...? :Questions:

ccrisis

#8 Post by ccrisis »

Genie -- as long as you keep thinking about the end result you'll be fine. The X-rays and molds are easy. I had three extractions which were also no big deal (maybe I'm just lucky, but I'm usually not). Even the spacers which are supposed to be horrible, aren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Marley - my birthday was great -- hope yours was too. Your braces look Adorable!!!!! How are you feeling?

Marley

#9 Post by Marley »

Hah thanks! I definitely wouldn't think adorable :) Shinny and metallic maybe..

Things are going well. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Although I always feel like these braces are in the way... and then I remember they'll be there for a while... get used to them!

Good luck with yours! I hope you'll give an update! It was hard for me to put up pictures... I tried for so many years to hide my mouth, and now I'm putting it out there?!?! haha! It's funny.. I barely had an open mouth smile before... now I'm all toothy grins! haha

Genie

#10 Post by Genie »

Thanx for the replies & encouragement!

I agree with u, Ives, the hardest part of getting braces was the process of deciding to get them! Well, I am technically speaking pass that stage... but brace day is in May. I am very afraid I'll chicken out before the date :shock:

I'm dreading the molar bands. I'm not sure how many of my teeth need them but it seem to be very intimidating... metal all around my teeth... :( Isn't buccal tubes better? How come not all ortho use that instead?

Cheers!

Genie

#11 Post by Genie »

dramaqueendaisy wrote:
What are mini braces by the way...? :Questions:
Hi dramaqueendaisy,
Mini braces are conventional braces. They are just smaller than the older types of traditional brackets. That's why the name has "mini". I've seen some pictures of them. They look small and flat on the profile so I quite like it. Maybe you have seen it before but just that the names/ways they call it are different?

bracedintx

#12 Post by bracedintx »

Hi Genie,

First off, Congrats on making the decision to have a healthy mouth!

I have molar bands on my upper 7s only (last molars). My orthodontist said that because those teeth were so short he felt he would get more precise tooth movement with the bands. But there are lots of orthos who don't use them at all. I was very nervous about the spacers and had bad memories of molar bands falling off when I had braces as a teen (in fact back then I didn't have brackets, just bands on my teeth--really old school). The spacers were not nearly as bad as I anticipated and I don't notice the bands now any more than the brackets on the rest of my teeth.

I will say that when I first got the bands they irritated my tongue because there are rough patches on them. That didn't last very long though.

I think it's important to remember that there will certainly be rough days, but much of the time you will completely forget that you have braces until you look in the mirror :-#)

Keep us updated on your story!!
self-ligating metal brackets all around

Dr Jon Harrow

#13 Post by Dr Jon Harrow »

:) Hi Genie
Congrats on your decision, it will be the best you make...my B-day 12th march, so just a couple of days to go...getting very excited now. :)
Keep us posted :wink:
Jon XX