I'm joining the club! X-rays and molds tomorrow!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinOnYourLips

I'm joining the club! X-rays and molds tomorrow!

#1 Post by SinOnYourLips »

:shock: Hi! After lurking for a few weeks, I finally decided to register. This website is actually what gave me the motivation and courage to get my ortho treatment. I have a minor problem and the orthodontist told me it'll be fixed in 10months or less...but I was still hesitant. I'm 21 and have a very active social life, I'm also a full time college student and a full time EMT. I'm constantly dealing with people and well....as shallow as it sounds, I felt akward and weird about the whole braces thing and how it would make me look...

Until........I found this message board.
God bless you guys! After readin all your posts I got the confidence and even got excited about gettin BRACED as well.

So I made an appointment for x-rays and molds for this friday (tomorrow, wooo!)

Very excited although still slightly nervious. So I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1. What's the process of gettin the molds done and is it really that gross?
2. How long does it take for them to get the braces ready after the molds and x-rays are done?
3. Should I ask any important questions at this appointment?

Thank you all so much again, and I'll keep you updated!

-Lexy =D

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

First off I would like to say Welcome Aboard to the boards. You've come to the right place for information and this is the site that also gave me motivation to do the whole braces thing. That and the encouraging words from friends, family and my other family *Details to follow*

I see that your 21 years of age, a full time college student, and a full time EMT. That is awesome as I am also 21 years old, a full time college student, and a full time firefighter and work part time in retail sales for Home Depot. Hint thats why above I said my other family, family of firefighters/emt/law enforcement.

Now for the questions. Lets see if I can answer anything!
1. What is the process of getting the molds done and is it really that gross?
This consists of about 3 or 4 minutes with a gooey liqued on a plate that is set in your mouth. It molds very quickly and is painless. Some people say that it leaves a bad aftertaste but when I had mine done I was done in 3 minutes with no bad taste at all.

2. How long does it take for them to get the braces ready after the molds and x-rays are done?
After the molds and x-rays done the orthodontist would normally need some time to review your case and would more then likely call you back for the set-up of braces in about a week. There is a few cases I have read where people went in for x-rays, molds and had there braces put on the same day so I don't really know the true answer to this one.

3. Should I ask any important questions at this appointment?
Ask away, they are there to answer any questions or concerns you may have. One thing that I had a concern for was the case of headgear possibly being used in my case. Well I don't have to so I'm happy knowing that I could have all my firefighter gear on along with the scotairpack while in a burning building without having to wear headgear!

Well I guess thats all for now I look forward to reading more you have to say and answering more of your questions as through as I could.

SDFD TSchott
Last edited by SDFD TSchott on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Ives

#3 Post by Ives »

Hey Sin
Having teeth molds made was not a great experience for me the first time. I didn't know what to expect and I have a real hard time breathing through my nose. ( Lots of sinus problems ). The stuff they put in your mouth fills your entire mouth area to get a good impression so you cannot breath through your mouth while it's waiting to set. If you have any problems breathing through your mouth use a breathrite strip. That helped me alot the second time around.

Hope this helps

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

Jenny5

#4 Post by Jenny5 »

Image and welcome Lexy!

I think TSchott answered most of your questions, but I just have a few things to add....

1. I think TSchott said it all for this one. The process is really quick and painless. The stuff they use doesn't taste all that great, but it's not bad. I had a slight aftertaste, but not bad at all. My reaction after it was all done was "that was it??"

2. This partly depends on if you need spacers or not. For me, I got spacers put in the day of my records appointment, which I needed to wear for at least a week before I could get my braces (I wore them for 2 weeks). You may not need these, but if so, that could delay getting your braces for just a little bit. Other than that, it will probably mostly depend on your orthodontist's availability. The brace fitting appointment will be a pretty lengthy one (mine was an hour and a half -- others' have been longer), so it will depend on how busy they are and when they can fit you in. Otherwise, you should be in braces pretty soon after your records appointment! Yay!

3. If your ortho doesn't automatically go over brushing and flossing methods, you should ask about that. It's basically common sense, but there are some special tools, like different kinds of brushes, waterpiks, and floss threaders that may be new for you. You might also want to know how often you'll need to come in for adjustments as that seems to vary quite a bit from ortho to ortho. If you think of any questions, you should jot them down. I know on my bday, I had so much on my mind that it was hard to think of questions on the spot.

Good luck!! You're almost there!!

bracey

#5 Post by bracey »

I didnt find the taking of the molds gross at all,
they put tutti frutti flavour in the mixture and I breathed through my nose, and when they came off there was the slight taste of some chemical fruity on my palate and it felt cold! but thats all, no sickness or gaging feeling, its a breeze, dont be worried :)

WiredforSound

#6 Post by WiredforSound »

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to the board!!

My experience with the molds was pretty good. The stuff did taste a little yucky but nothing too serious. I tend to gag easily so I asked to sit straight up when they put the molds in my mouth and I found that worked for me. Sitting straighter makes the mold seems like it isn't as far back in your mouth.

As the others have said, depends on your Ortho how long you will get braced after the molds and xrays are done. Some do it same day, some wait weeks. My Ortho wanted to review my file for a few weeks and then asked me to come back for the consult and then I will go back on Mar 22 for the big event! :D

Good luck tomorrow and remember this is the next step towards the beautiful smile that you want.
[/url]

SinOnYourLips

#7 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Guys, thank you all again for the advice and warm words of encouragment!

I had a little technical difficulty and tried posting a thread from my sidekick , which lead to accidently posting the same thread 3 times! OOPS!

Bad enough I still thought it didn't go through because it kept showing me the message sayin the message was denied, so I came home and reposted the thread which is now here:

viewtopic.php?t=17592

And this is the one I will be using.

Molds and X-rays are done, read all bout it ^^^ :P

Haha, more updates are coming in a week