Help - Advice wanted

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

coffeekeys

Help - Advice wanted

#1 Post by coffeekeys »

Hey all I'm new to this site.

Today I had an appointment with my orthodontist in which it was basically established that If I were too have a brace I would need 4 teeth out and would wear a train track type braces for 2 years.
I start college next year and therefore it would just cover my time there.

I like my teeth save for my top front two which I don't. Really don’t!

I just wanted to ask people if they think I should have the work done and also have others who have had the “train trackâ€

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

Image coffeekeys,

This is a decision that only you can make, but I will say this: if you don't go into it with a positive attitude, the next 2 years could be a lot more difficult than they have to be. If you're not ready to go through with it, maybe you should wait until you're ready to be gung ho and go for it.

One thing I recommend you do is go to 2 or 3 other consultations with different orthos. Each one might have a different treatment plan (maybe even without extractions) with different treatment times. If you're not happy with what this ortho suggested, you may have some other options. I'm not really sure what you mean by "train track" type braces, but maybe another ortho would use a different type that would create a different look. BUT, whatever your braces look like initially, within a few days, you'll be used to them and will forget you have them, so don't worry too much about the appearance. They are going to look funny at first no matter what because you're not used to seeing them on your teeth.

Good luck with your decision!

Thumbellina

#3 Post by Thumbellina »

I agree with jt2lang - you do have to want to do it!!

I was quite worried about getting them but then I realised that I will always hate my teeth (and be annoyed I didn't get them sooner) and that two years would pass anyway so why not!!

I have metal braces but so many people haven't commented anyway... and I have only had one negative comment and that was from a full-time negative person :lol: so it didn't bother me!!

Do go and see other orthos cos it is a big decision to make. At least you know where to find a like-minded bunch of friends if you have more questions! 8) (that us by the way :roll: :D )