It's My B-Day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ccrisis

It's My B-Day

#1 Post by ccrisis »

It's now 9:30 a.m. I just took that pill that's supposed to dry out your mouth and my appointment is in 1/2 hour!! I'm very excited and not at all nervous. Thanks so much to everyone here for helping in a huge way for me to get to this point. Took one last picture of my crooked smile and hopefully I'll figure out how to post my before and afters. I'll be back in a few hours to report.....

Jenny5

#2 Post by Jenny5 »

Happy bday, ccrisis!! Let us know how it goes and good luck!!

lea72104

#3 Post by lea72104 »

Hope everything goes well! Congrats and Good Luck!!! :-#)

dramaqueendaisy

#4 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Happy B-Day Ccrisis! :-)o It's my B-Day too! Had ceramics top and bottom at around 11ish this morning. Took about 45 mins I think. I went to the loo loads of times beforehand but it was fine. Haven't tried eating yet (only soup) and no aching but I'm told that may come later. I really want a cup of tea though! My ortho said that could stain my ligs :?

Haven't tried brushing my teeth either yet...that looks like it could take forever! Looking forward to hearing about your day...! :-}

And some of my friends didn't even notice!!

Ives

#5 Post by Ives »

Nice, hope things went well.
Never heard of the little pill your talking about. I wasn't given anything before going to appointment. I did take some ibupro though. That helped a little.
Braced March 1st 07

ccrisis

#6 Post by ccrisis »

I'm back and things went pretty smoothly. They had a little trouble fitting my molar bands, but it wasn't too much of a problem. The whole thing took just under 2 hrs -- as they said it would. No part of the process was painful and it was only slightly uncomfortable. So far they feel pretty good, not as bulky as I thought and no wires sticking out. I treated myself to an order of gnocchi (pasta made from potatoes -- nice and soft!!!) for lunch and had no problem with it.

I also have ceramics on top and metal on the bottom. I wish I had ceramics on the bottom as well as you can really see my bottom teeth -- even though I have an overbite. They really don't look so bad though. You can barely see the tops and the bottoms will look fine once the wire starts to straighten out.

So all in all a very positive experience and from here on it will only get better.

Hey Dramaqueen -- Happy B-day to you too!!! And yours only took 45 min??? That's fantastic!!

Marley

#7 Post by Marley »

Congrats ccrisis!! And the journey begins!!

I felt the same way, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Once a few of my cuts heal up, I think it'll feel like they've always been there.. haha or maybe not :)

Make sure you start up your stoy, unless you have and I missed it!!

Same goes for your Dramaqueendaisy!!

Way to go Both of you!

dramaqueendaisy

#8 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hey Ccrisis...
Glad to hear you're ok and it went fine...I think my time was shorter 'cos I already had the bands in, and some brackets up at the top back. I thought I was going to get metals on the bottom but my ortho decided to do both with ceramics and I love them! I am going to work out how to post some photos so you can see but it may take a while...bit of a rubbish technophobe.
Have spent an hour and 45 mins eating my tea...will try gnocchi! White wine seems to be helpful though...will sleep well tonight despite what my dental nurse warned.

Marley
Will try and post my story...have 3 kids though...will give it my best shot as would like to get all my thoughts down in one go.

Goodnight all :-Z

Marley

#9 Post by Marley »

dramaqueendaisy - Totally understandable :)

I used photobucket.com for my photos. It's VERY user friendly!

becks

#10 Post by becks »

Woohoo! Congrats on your bdays :) Mine is next week. Glad to hear it wasn't painful. Nice to see others starting the journey around the same time as me. Good luck and I hope the next couple of days don't turn into h*ll days for you .

dramaqueendaisy

#11 Post by dramaqueendaisy »

Hey CC

How do you feel today? I am sore! Am taking painkillers which is helping. I'm even more aware of the braces today and brushing takes ages but I've just got a sonic electric toothbrush so I'm hoping that will make the job easier!

Eating is slooooow cos I can't really chew, just suck! Am drinking tea through a straw. Think I'm going to have to try out the wax soon, especially on my bottom teeth...my poor lips! :(

Right, must get on with Saturday. X

bracesafter40

#12 Post by bracesafter40 »

COngrats! See, it is not as bad...
I took about an hour but was there 1.5 hours.

You will be fine and metals are not that bad, :-)...

http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com

ccrisis

#13 Post by ccrisis »

Hey Dramaqueen, brushing is not fun at all is it? My teeth are very sore during and right afterwards. It does wear off after a few minutes though, even without the Motrin. Eating is more difficult than it was yesterday. I've waxed one metal thingy that was rubbing me the wrong way and it feels ok now. So far two of my friends have seen the braces and say they are barely noticeable. Well I guess we will get used to all of this. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Bracesafter40, I really didn't think having them put on was bad at all!!! Yours look great by the way. How are you feeling now that they've been on for a while?

Becks, Good luck next week. What day are they going on?

Ives, I forgot what the pill was called, but it did work very well. Thank goodness for Advil and Motrin. I had bunion surgery in January and couldn't really stomach the painkillers the dr. prescribed. I just took three Advil or Motrin instead and it worked beautifully!

Marley, I'll check out photobucket. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!

bracesafter40

#14 Post by bracesafter40 »

ccrisis wrote: Bracesafter40, I really didn't think having them put on was bad at all!!! Yours look great by the way. How are you feeling now that they've been on for a while?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!!
ccrisis, thanks for the compliments! It's been 13 days, my teeth are actually find; no pain at all. Just that my cheeks and upper lip are so sore! I have 6 hooks in all and they all stick me at the same time! I've lost 11lbs in 18days as I can't eat what I want to. As I type, I have some wax on the last molar on the left. After brushing tonight, I will have to put wax on again. I am also washing with salt water to help as others have suggested.

I cannot bite anything, and can now chew to some extent; I cut up everything and have now considered taking a plastic knife when I travel so I can always ensure that i have something to cut my food with if necessary; I travel a lot.

But all in all, I'm very happy; come April 4, I get the bottoms in.
I've never had to take any pain killer at all!

http://bracesafter40.blogspot.com

delerius

Hope you'll feel better

#15 Post by delerius »

I'm sorry you had to take pills for the pain.

Mine was breezy when my ortho attached both lower and upper metal braces and I felt no pain. I'm not even feeling any pain now that I'm going to my 3rd week.

Rinsing your mouth with lukewarm water with salt on it helps a lot. I discovered that when I read the advices in the forum. And it really works. That might alleviate the pain and the uncomfortable feeling you're experiencing right now.