Finally I got my braces last week. :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rogerwaterspt

Finally I got my braces last week. :)

#1 Post by rogerwaterspt »

Hello comrades! I hope you don't think I'm crazy being happy for having my dental braces on. Just read my history:

I'm Ricardo (Richard in english) from Portugal and I've been braced for one week.
My history in the "orthodontics" world is just too long. At the age of 10 (1997) my dentist (I've had more than 4 since then) told me I needed to use dental braces, and then I went to the clinic she told me to go and I wasn't able to do the molds because I was always throwing up with those things inside me mouth!! I had to wait more than 7 months for special molds to come (smaller ones) and then I had my molds done. Two or three weeks later, I was told to go to the clinic and put my dental bracers on (it was a removable one, so I don't know if "dental bracer" is the right name) and so did I. I remember going every thursday there for some kind of "control" on the bracers. I spent a year (plus or less) with those things inside my mouth (on the jaw and on the bite) and one day, the doctor called me and my mother to go to the clinic and she said that those bracers were futile for me because my "face" (she was talking about my jaw and bite) was still growing up. She said I had to wait til I turned 18 and then I would begin my treatment with a surgery. I felt happy at the time because I was going to remove that "sesame". :?

So I waited 6 years and my teeth were going stranger day by day. I went to another dentistry when I was 16 or 17 and there I was told that the kind of treatment I had to do was very expensive and could only be done in a private hospital. The price was like 13.000 € or something like that. My mom joked with the doctor and said: "Yes,I have to sell a bit of my house for that." :evil:
We gave up on any plans for a treatment and in that moment I was very dissapointed. I thought my teeth were going to be like that forever. :cry:

A few months later (late 2005) we had the idea to go to the university of dental medicine in Lisbon and I had an appointement with a professor. He explained me everything I had to do and said that this kind of treatment in Portugal could only be done in a private hospital. He told me to return there some weeks later and when I returned he told me this could be done on a public hospital. I don't know how things changed so fast. Still today I'm wondering what happened. On a week this kind of treatment cannot be done, and in the week after it can. Very strange.

And so I had to wait one more year! Just read why: In January 2006 I went to one more appointment with the doc and he told me that the preparations for a treatment could only begin in July because he was gong out on a congress or something like that. While that, he gave me the contact of the surgeon that is going to "cut" me (in 2008/09 probably) and the plans for the surgery. He wanted the surgeon to read the plans and accept to do the job. These men were really nice chaps. Everything was going fine.
So, in August 2006 I went to the university of dental medicine and he told me I was going to begin the treatment in 2007! More waiting! I was used to that. It takes a lot of patience to live in Portugal. Believe me.
Anyway, the professors (three around me) took photos of my mouth,head and wrist (don't know why) x-rays,some molds, and put those spacers between my back teeth.

And now here I am! I have dental bracers for a week and I'm not feeling bad. In fact, I'm happy for having them. You guys may think I'm mad, but for someone who waited so many years, the aches they cause me are nothing! :wink:
I'm pissed off only by the fact that I can't eat a nice rare steak, or some french fries. Looks like my teeth are going to fall when I bite something. I hope that sensation passes quick. I miss some good food. I'm sick of eating baby food!! :twisted:

Hugs and kisses!

Sutsee

#2 Post by Sutsee »

Wow what a story

I am getting mine on Wednesday and like you I think I will be happy to FINALLY have them and get my teeth the way I've always wanted. Good luck to you, keep us posted

rogerwaterspt

#3 Post by rogerwaterspt »

Thanks your answears, mates. About the wax, in the first 3/4 days I used to put it on the brackets, now I don't need it anymore. 8)

Tomorrow it will make 15 days since the day I got braced. I can chew a little more easily, but the doctor told me not to chew with my front teeth the last time I was with her.
Anyway, I don't know if you guys had this when you got braced:
I have some kind of "concrete" (don't know the english word for this thing) in each one of my two back teeth and it covers the whole tooth. With time, the "concrete" is falling from the teeth, but it confuses me a lot to chew anything with that stuff there.
This makes the situation a bit frustrating...I can't chew with my front teeth and with my back teeth (lately I've been chewing very slowly and with loads of patience).

Bye! :wink:

P.S.: By the way, I'm obliged to go one time per month to the orthodontist, what does one usually do? Change brackets and stuff?

slender

#4 Post by slender »

Congratulations!. :-)o quite a journey u had!

Don't worry eating will get easier. You'll learn to eat pratically anything, just be careful and practice.

egocidal

#5 Post by egocidal »

Wonderful that you've finally gotten treatment after that harrowing journey :o I'm getting the same feeling about food now, but easy does it, eh? Eventually we'll be eating just about everything. Take care :)

Carolinahigh12

#6 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

congrats!!!! :D