Sleeping with braces on

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Clairey Fairey

Sleeping with braces on

#1 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Random question I know....

But do braces affect your sleep? I expect they will when they are first put on or adjusted because of the pain and weirdness of having them there.

But after that, is it awkward sleeping in braces or easy to get used to??

Thanks, Clairey:-)

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I've not lost a moment's sleep due to braces. Now, having the cats on the bed is an entirely different matter....

BlueeyedManda

#3 Post by BlueeyedManda »

Never been an issue for me either, but as lionfish pointed out...the cat is a different story, ours likes to lick faces at night and purr and paw you. If you dont get up for him, he knocks lamps over.
Braces to be removed June 2007!!! In time for the big day!

iBorg

#4 Post by iBorg »

If I can't take them off for THAT :():

Why bother taking them off for sleep?

Seriously, never ben a problem unless a wire is poking.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Tin Indian

#5 Post by Tin Indian »

Never gave it to much thought myself.
Braces on 9/01/2006- Braces off 4/14/08

cowlypso

#6 Post by cowlypso »

The only possible issue you run into is if you are dehydrated (or if you tend to breathe through your mouth). If your mouth is dry while you are sleeping, and you sleep on your side, it can press your lips onto your braces and they sort of get stuck there and you end up with a bit of a scrape that's sore the next day. But if you stay hydrated, it's not a problem at all. And that won't be a problem for you falling asleep, you'll just notice it when you wake up.

Nervous

#7 Post by Nervous »

I've never had an issue with Braces and sleeping

bbsadmin

#8 Post by bbsadmin »

Well I remember that it took me about a week to 10 days to get used to the pressure on my teeth. I kept having dreams about teeth and braces! I took Ibuprofen during those first days to make myself more comfortable.

Dr. Rick once said not to take asprin, as it can inhibit tooth movement, by the way.

Other than getting used to the feeling of pressure, it didn't really affect my sleeping, as I recall.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

SDFD TSchott

#9 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I haven't had any problems with sleeping with braces on!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Natalie

#10 Post by Natalie »

i've had a sore mouth a few times because i sleep on my side...where my extraction gaps are there is just wire and that's managed to cut into my cheek. only happened a couple of times tough and not for ages so i guess my mouth has toughened up. also i used to do this wierd thing at first that i can't really describe very well, i must have been moving my jaw about and my top front teeth would sort of hit my bottom front teeth or vice versa whatever...and i got a very strange sensation. at first i was just getting the sensation and waking up...and didn't know what was going on...but then i woke up whilst the top hit the bottom and realised! that was at the very beginning though and has long since stopped. and like has been mentioned...the dreams thing! i've had a few horrible ones like i knocked a bracket and the braces somehow pulled the teeth out of my gums but they were still attached to the braces and were just sort of suspended in my mouth and i was trying to push the teeth back into my gums but i kept putting them in the wrong place and having to do it all over again, arghh! i started to clench for a while and maybe still do but i'm not sure...sorry all these things sound like loads of problems but honestly they haven't been! i haven't even really thought about it all until this post.

gunter8888

#11 Post by gunter8888 »

No problems except waking up in pain at 4am yesterday after a particularly extensive adjustment the afternoon before. Otherwise, never had any issues.

Now, having a small baby in the house... that'll mess with your sleep!
Expander in 8/9/06
Lowers on 11/30/06
Uppers on / Expander gone on 1/31/2007
Class III elastics added 3/14/2007
Expander #2 - 6/27/2007
20-24 months w/ fixed metal braces

egocidal

#12 Post by egocidal »

Good to hear most of you have little trouble sleeping with braces on. Though I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to it. Tonight's the first time for me, and I forsee insomnia because the front teeth still hurts, and the paracetamol isn't kicking in :? Take care everyone :)

RightMyBite

#13 Post by RightMyBite »

I tend to sleep on my side, which puts pressure on the teeth on the "pillow" side of my mouth. I remember from previous rounds of braces (and am being reminded after getting them on again yesterday) that after adjustments when teeth are a bit tender that pressure can be uncomfortable. The wires/brackets themselves don't tend to be any more of a problem when sleeping than any other time.

Though, because it's harder for my lips to close over the braces, I do tend to drool more...

loulou123

#14 Post by loulou123 »

Ive had a few issues on the nighttime front...

As said above the worst thing is if you are a mouth breather as you get dehydrated in the night and your cheek gets stuck to the braces, this is horrible but soon goes off the next morning if you apply a bit of wax.

I snapped my archwire one evening and had to wait until the next day for an appointement and my boyfriend woke me up in the night as i had finger in my mouth trying to pull the archwire right off as it had started poking into my cheek in the night! :shock: oops!

lastly natalie i do something similar to you, but i wake myself up banging my teeth together very hard-not good at all, this is usally worse after an adjustment just when you really dont want to be doing it.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Ives

#15 Post by Ives »

The only problem i've had with sleeping is the clenching thing, though i've always done that even befor braces. The difference is now because of the tender teeth, clenching will wake me up a few times a night.
Braced March 1st 07