I have been braced!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinOnYourLips

I have been braced!

#1 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Had an appointment at 11 today, and finally got braced. Just as expected I didn't need spacers....so they just did my tops and I was done.

Wasn't really painful, just weird and slightly unpleasent..

Np pain right now either, just pressure. Of course very not used to this and feel very self conscious :oops: but I hope this will pass with time.

Any advice on how to snap out of it and feel better emotionally?

Anyone else just got it done today or recently?

~Next adjustment april 13th~
~Braced on 3.16.07~

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Before your b-day ...
* warm salt water rinses once a day
* setup your travel dental cleaning kit, or buy a dentakit from this site
* stock up on consumables ... wax, mouthwash, interdental brushes, stiff ended floss etc
* never forget why you're doing this
* keep a positive attitude

On your b-day ...
* go to the toilet
* cover your lips with balm
* keep positive

After your b-day ...
* continue the daily salt rinses
* wax to prevent sores
* keep your body well hydrated
* chew to increase blood flow in your gums
* make sure your oral hygiene is A1
* be confident with your decision
* remember ... braces do not prevent us from doing anything, only we can do that!
* stay positive!

Good luck with getting started!

CONGRATS ON GETTING BRACED!
~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Graceful58

#3 Post by Graceful58 »

I think your braces look terrific!! I hope mine look that good. :)

fitchick

#4 Post by fitchick »

Hi Sin,

Congratulations on getting started with braces! I think the best way to feel emotionally is to acknowledge what a positive thing you are doing for yourself. I have never really thought about my lower brace since Day 1, but I got my uppers on wednesday and those are the teeth that protrude the most so I do feel slightly self conscious, but I am telling myself that this is a temporary thing and that I will be so pleased with the end result that's its worth the months of discomfort, ulcers and bits inbetween. Saltwater rinses help with those damn ulcers too! Just keep telling yourself that every day that passes is one day closer to that perfect smile.

Best Wishes

Julie
[/url]
Jun06 Lower brace on
Aug06 Root Canals completed
Mar07 Upper Brace on
July08 Braces off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

egocidal

#5 Post by egocidal »

Whoo! Firstly, congratulations on getting the bracing done and that you didn't need spacers :D I went through my bracing 9am on the 16th but am feeling the ache.

As for feeling a little better, my 0.02 is you're on your way to a great smile, and there are always people in pain if you need to commisserate :)

slender

#6 Post by slender »

Congrats! :-)o .. whoohooo no spacers, that's one less pain for you. :thumbsup:

Mommynbraces

Congradulations

#7 Post by Mommynbraces »

I get my braces on April 2nd or sooner if someone cancels their appointment. Your braces look really nice. I can tell that you will have a beautfil smile once your treatment is over with.

SinOnYourLips

#8 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Hey! :-1

Thank you all for soothing words, it definately helped me to feel a little better emotionally, although today is day 2 and I'm starting to really feel the pain, eek.

PS. Heh sorry guys but those are not my braces on the pic, just found a pic that looks the most like mines. I also got just the top done with clear brakets and white wire. :crazy:

SDFD TSchott, Thanks for ther advice! Have done everything but the salt water rinses, must try those later hehe

Fitchick, thank you so much, those are the only words that keep giving me faith....I know I will be SOO happy when it's all over, just cannot wait until it's over!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Egocidal, yeaa I also got my braces on the 16th, at 11am. So we're pretty much in the same boat. How long did they say you got to go?

Slender, yea I was nervious bout the spacers, since I heard they were very uncomfortable and painful, but yay didn't need them at all!

Mommynbraces, good luck hon! Let us know how it goes!

starryadora

#9 Post by starryadora »

Congrats! :)

*~Currently retained in:
-Upper and Lower bonded retainers
-Upper QCM Hawley
-Damon Splint (night)
-Postitioner (as needed)

~*Orthodontic Assistant*~

MsViola

#10 Post by MsViola »

Congrats! and double Congrats for not needing spacers. Unfortunately I got 5 more on my first adjustments thanks to brackets not adhering well to crowns. I am glad my Ortho convinced me to do clear brackets on the top teeth. Even though I have a silver wire most people think I only have braces on my bottom teeth until they get real close. You will get used to them before too long. The first month was a bit awkward and I felt like everyone noticed them (they didn't). Little kids seem to love them. I now refer to them as my "bracelets" thanks to a comment from one of them. I like showing them off now. They have become a part of me - the good and the bad. Hang in there and be proud!!

Good Luck!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

Sutsee

#11 Post by Sutsee »

WOOOO HOOOOO! Yippeee for you.

I got braced last wednesday. Today (sat) has been the best day thus far. The strangest thing for me has been waking up in the morning and remembering they are still on there. LOL. I can't wait to see some movement.

Congrats on getting yours!

SinOnYourLips

#12 Post by SinOnYourLips »

MsViola, heh I'm already a little mroe comfortable, where I smile with them on...but I still was a little weird talkin to strangers today....

Tomorrow my mission is to suck it up, ignore em completely and smile wide. This will trully be a challange, since I never even fully smilled before I got these.................

Sutsee, tell me about it! I'm only 48 hrs in and I'm already constantly running up to my mirror and looking for some change :| ...heh

But at least the countdown has begun!!! :dance:

MsViola

#13 Post by MsViola »

:-#) I am always looking at my teeth STILL. It is exciting to notice changes. I am really on the lookout now since I got new "stuff" at my first adjustment on Wednesday. It may be wishful thinking but I think I see more movement already.

Go to work tomorrow and show off your "bracelets". You will be suprised at how many people will tell you how "cute" and/or "younger" you look.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

1/17/07 - Upper (Clear) & Lower (Metal - self ligatating) Braces
Estimated treatment time = 30-36 months

BraceFacePrincess

#14 Post by BraceFacePrincess »

I got mine the same day and same time you got yours! How cool is that! 8) Well, I'm new to this myself and I also only got them on my top teeth and I didn't need spacers either. 8) However, I have to have some work done with their in-house periodontist because of bone loss so I don't know when I'll get them on the bottom teeth but my next adjustment is in May.

It's still uncomfortable for me to eat, brush or floss but I guess it will get better once I get used to it. :wink:

SinOnYourLips

#15 Post by SinOnYourLips »

How are you doing BraceFacePrincess?

It's been 5 days now and I think I'm slowly getting used to it. I mean sometimes I still just goto myself..."wats in my mouth? I need to take it out its uncomfortable" but then i remember like "oooooh yes...that will be in there at least for the next 8 months" *sigh* The pain got better though, and I am getting used to softer foods now, although still get occasional cravings for caremel, steak, chips and gum. Erm.

Are you better as well?

I also been avoiding going out for now....still feel weird...but I slowly make myself pay less attention to it..and I've made progress.

How about you guys? How much time has to pass, for you to stop feelin so self conscious? Or does it stay with you all throughtout?

I know alot has to do with your personality and self-confidence...and I have plenty of that (well at least had) heh..but I am trying my best to bring it back up...

All help is appriciated, thanks!