Another New Aussie!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ozkeeper

Another New Aussie!

#1 Post by ozkeeper »

Hi all, my name's Cassie and i'm 17. On wednesday I get my braces on. :shock:
I've had a plate on my bottom teeth for about 6months now to move my jaw and that will stay on while i've got my braces. I've decided on clear braces because i'm going to have them on at my formal so i'd rather they weren't so noticeable. Just thought i'd say hi and ask for a bit of advice.
1) I should start salt water rinses now? Is that right?
2) I really don't want to have to brush my teeth at school (if I have to I will) is there any way of getting around it?
3) Food suggestions for first few days plz.
4) What should I carry with me when I go out, to school, etc?
5) Is there anything else I need to know?

I know they're probably questions you've all heard many times b4 but i'm getting a bit nervous now :( so you're replies are really appreciated.

ozkeeper

#2 Post by ozkeeper »

Well I got braced today. Everything was fine until about an hour ago when they started to hurt but I was expecting that. My only disappointment is I insisted on clear braces because I wanted them to be as least visible as possible. My brackets are clear but I have metal 'gates' on the brackets that hold my wire. I was under the assumption that my clear braces would have been like those you see in photos. All clear except for the wire. Unless it's just temporary but I don't think so. I'm kind of bummed about that because they're really noticeable and that is exactly what I didn't want. :(

Ives

#3 Post by Ives »

Hey oz, sorry to here the braces are not what you expected but before long you will be showing them off proudly, check out the colored ligs post. People have alot of fun with there colors, I suspect it will not take you long before your trying different things.

Good Luck and congrats on getting started,

Ives
Braced March 1st 07

becks

#4 Post by becks »

Be proactive in your treatment. If you want to know what's going on, ask. If you're not sure about what's going on, ask. If you want to know what to expect or see inbetween adjustments, ask. The more communicative you are with your ortho, the more in control you'll be with your treatment and the less frustrated you'll feel when expectations aren't met. Your ortho will appreciate it too.
Well said Linda! Totally agree.

Sorry you are somewhat disappointed about how things turned out with the "gate" color. It's likely not as noticeable as you think. Give it a few days til you get used to them.

Manicmomma

#5 Post by Manicmomma »

Congrats on getting braced and welcome to the forums! Looking forward to following your story!
~~~Courage is fear that said it's prayers.~~~

WiredforSound

#6 Post by WiredforSound »

Like Ives said, it won't be long and you will be showing off your new braces with some funky colours.

Hope the pain subsides soon for you.
[/url]